any lesser known artists you know of?

S

Sharma

ok kinda gettin bored with the music thats in mainstream now, same crap, wondering if any of you knew about some good artists in the rock area and or dance area, i found a few on kazaa that do some good stuff, do you know any more? :/

M

mank!

Search on mp3.com using the influences search, I found a couple of good bands that way.

S

Scooba Da Bass

RJD2, prolly the best dance album of last year and still no one seems to have heard of him.

Wilco, they almost inexplicably remind me of the less showy T-rex songs, especially Pot Kettle Black.

T

Tom

Get:

Deep Purple - Machine Head (Never Before = best track)
anything by Thin Lizzy ('best of' is a good start)
Roger Waters - Radio Waves
Electric Soft Parade
Pink Floyd - DSotM, Wish you were here, The Wall

All classics, yes you may laugh, but I have a deep admiration for all the above artists and these albums.

If you like strange music, look at the music credits for each Weebil and Bob cartoon, and download some of them.

/edit : apart from Electric Soft Parade, who are merely catchy, but promising

S

Sharma

ive heard some of pink floyd stuff, good it is, i think ive heard of electric soft parade, never heard em though :)

T

Tom

ESP - Silent to the Dark is a good tune.

Pink Floyd are just classic, if you haven't got Dark Side of the Moon, you should be ashamed of yourself. Get it, dim the lights, light up a spliff, and chill out. It's amazing.

M

mank!

Pink Floyd just fucking win. Best thing ever is listening to Dark Side Of The Moon with headphones on \o/

T

Tom

Listening to The Wall 'Comfortably Numb' is better though :D

O

old.Kez

Those bands don't strike me as lesser known :\

E

ECA

sigh.

these people think Judge Jules is an underground DJ.

P

Perplex

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]

Pink Floyd - DSotM, Wish you were here, The Wall

All classics, yes you may laugh, but I have a deep admiration for all the above artists and these albums.

How can you not mention the Meddle album? It's fucking awesome.

S

Sir Frizz

I would seriously recommend The Propellerheads - Deck And Drums And Rock And Roll.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Perplex
How can you not mention the Meddle album? It's fucking awesome.

I apologise. As does Tom.

Meddle = GOD.

Echoes = GOD.

P

Perplex

:D Meddle is still (arguably) the best album they ever made (in its entirety) as some of the other albums mentioned have some awesome tracks, and some fillers. All a matter of opinion!

S

(Shovel)

I thought he was making it bigger, but his black humoured remarks in the Manchester live show suggest that the albums aren't selling, so here's a plug for Tom McRae.

His first album (self titled) is morbid, but musically tingling and his voice is heart stopping.

The second album (Just Like Blood) is more acomplished and "bigger", with more instrumental depth, but the voice is similarly raw and lyrically scathing.

Recommended tracks: You Cut Her Hair, Draw Down The Stars, Sao Paulo Rain, Walking To Hawaii and A Day Like Today.

.. and frankly, all of the rest of it too.

E

echo

Depends how good your music knowledge is as to what's lesser-known, surely? :) Have you heard of The Jesus and Mary Chain? Try them, if you haven't. The Rock Of Travolta are quite funky too. See also: Joy Division, bizarrely lots of people haven't a clue who they are, desipte knowing 60 Miles an Hour and Blue Monday and other such New Order goodness..

M

mank!

Originally posted by Perplex
:D Meddle is still (arguably) the best album they ever made (in its entirety) as some of the other albums mentioned have some awesome tracks, and some fillers. All a matter of opinion!

Dark Side has no filler! It's pure. Meddle is brilliant though, Echoes is just incredible tbh.

The Wall has a lot of filler and is pretty shit I reckon.

T

Tom

£10 to the first person to solve the eternal Floyd question:

What the hell does that guy say in track 1 "One of these days I'm....."

I like Meddle, but the end of side 1 is full of 'filler' tbh. The Wall is, as far as concept albums go, stunning. So well produced, so hard hitting, its the best mix of Waters/Gilmore you could hope for, before Waters went a bit mad on the vocal side.

If you like the mellow stuff, you should get 'Wet Dream' by Rick Wright (Floyd keyboard player), a very nice album indeed.

T

Tom

Originally posted by (Shovel)
I thought he was making it bigger, but his black humoured remarks in the Manchester live show suggest that the albums aren't selling, so here's a plug for Tom McRae.

Excellent, I like it (logs into Amazon). N1 m8y.

B

bodhi

The Wildhearts - Brilliant geordie rock band who sound like Metallica meets The Beatles. For the best introduction to them check out "I Wanna Go Where the People Go" and "Sick of Drugs".

Everlast - Just get "What It's Like", "So Long" and "Put Your Lights On". The last one has Carlos Santana on it. It makes me have an accident in my pants.

Cake - Absolutley fucking brilliant. Just get all of the "Fashion Nugget" album, along with a track called "Short Skirt, Long Jacket". The rest of their tunes will soon find their way onto your hard disk.

Rob Dougan - My perennial favourite. Yes, he was the guy who did "Clubbed to Death", but the rest of his album makes the seminal track seem a bit, well, shit.

N

Nos-

The Walkmen, Death Cab for Cutie, All-Time Quarterback can't think of any others atm :/

M

mank!

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
£10 to the first person to solve the eternal Floyd question:

What the hell does that guy say in track 1 "One of these days I'm....."

ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES

I believe.

D

danger

Originally posted by .snoopy
Depends how good your music knowledge is as to what's lesser-known, surely? :) Have you heard of The Jesus and Mary Chain? Try them, if you haven't. The Rock Of Travolta are quite funky too. See also: Joy Division, bizarrely lots of people haven't a clue who they are, desipte knowing 60 Miles an Hour and Blue Monday and other such New Order goodness..

Oh come on... Floyed, lesser known? DSoTM is one of... nay the greatest album of all time, Deep purple and Thin Lizzy, come on it's neither unheard of nor new which is what I think he was getting at.

N

nick·

Drive Like Jehu's "Yank Crime" has recently been re-issued (on Swami Records).

Go buy that.

G

nick drake
charon (finland rock type combo) but good
the rain parade - emergency third rail power trip (classic)
violent femmes

E

echo

Since the emphasis no longer seems to be on new and lesser-known/underrated, can I put a word in for the Velvet Underground?
No?
Ok.

X

Xtro

Alien Sex Fiend
Fudge Tunnel
Black Flag
Big Black
The Anal Adventures of Mr John Ripley
The Human League

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom