News America's best president ever is a tard

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
"It was draining resources from other US space agency activities, he added. "

gohan

FH is my second home
whats retarded about that? why waste money on going to the moon when thiers fuck all thier.........

specially when thier in such a shit financial position

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
"It was draining resources from other US space agency activities, he added. "

He is draining the life out of one of the few programs NASA do that is worthwhile, moon landings are the prelude to a moon base which in turn is the prelude to landings on Mars. Any chance of those landings happening in my lifetime just vanished, America was brave in the 1960's but now they are flat out afraid of anything new that carries any kind of risk. Pathetic.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
The US debt is counted in the trillions. They simply can't afford it.

The world is different place these days, they only went before because of the space race with the Soviets. The political and economic situation these days is much different.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i can't say it's a simple matter of "ooh stupid!"

A good point that; " "over budget, behind schedule, and lacking in innovation", and the money could be spent on better things. Then again, it has cost quite a few pennies so weighing which is more prudent would have to done.

It's a good thing that he's allocating towards private and more versitile and "every man" space flight, even if the funds could be used even better, but that comes down to opinion again.

So, in conclusion really;

It's an interesting choice and even more interesting to see if this boosts the coming of a aviation style spaceflight. It may seem odd to scrap a project that's cost a lot of money, but it's nothing new.

He is draining the life out of one of the few programs NASA do that is worthwhile, moon landings are the prelude to a moon base which in turn is the prelude to landings on Mars. Any chance of those landings happening in my lifetime just vanished, America was brave in the 1960's but now they are flat out afraid of anything new that carries any kind of risk. Pathetic.

While it's true that seeing a moon landing in your lifetime would diminish in chance, you have to remember that by pushing towards more private spaceflight, the chances of you GOING to space increased.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
whats retarded about that? why waste money on going to the moon when thiers fuck all thier.........

specially when thier in such a shit financial position

You are having a giggle bud, NASA's annual budget is about 1 weeks budget for the U.S. military and they are pissing away billions every week they stay in Iraq. The space program has longterm and meaningful benefits for the entire world.

gohan

FH is my second home

you realsise the moon isnt really much closer to mars in the scheme of things

its like O_.__________________________________________ O

. = moon obviously xD

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The US debt is counted in the trillions.

They simply can't afford it.

He pulled the money and moved it elsewhere, infact he raised the bloody budget. What he has done is cancel the best project NASA have for advancing human space exploration. It isn't a money issue, it is risk managment at it's fucking worst. They are scared to take a risk, so they will spend more money elsewhere on projects that take pretty pictures of the sky. Fucking laughable if it wasn't so myopic.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
you realsise the moon isnt really much closer to mars in the scheme of things

its like O_.__________________________________________ O

. = moon obviously xD

Distance is not the important factor, we could fly to Mars with the tech we have right now with a few added tweaks. The moon landings were really about establishing a program to build a base and use that as platform to stage exploration of Mars.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
americas best ever president being the president with the lowest approval ratings ever after a year in office?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
waste of money no resources on the moon and no reason shown to go to mars yet .. so use the money on things like looking after people or paying for the health care reforms rather than throwing a hunk of metal at the moon imo

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
waste of money no resources on the moon and no reason shown to go to mars yet .. so use the money on things like looking after people or paying for the health care reforms rather than throwing a hunk of metal at the moon imo

There is water on the moon and in a low gravity enviroment, that means we have a fuel source which enables the moon to be used as a launch base for exploration missions further afield. The moon might not have resources we need, Mars and the Moons of Jupiter will certainly have large amounts of resources we can use however, some of them may be materials that are in short supply on Earth as well.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
We might need those resources Cho, but the cost of transporting them back to earth would be much greater than living without them. As it is at the moment, we don't really have anything to do in space

Money spent on exploring space would be at much better use here on earth

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As much as I'm a total manned space program nut and am
actually old enough to have watched the first landings and
had an action man with a silver spacesuit and he came with
a Mercury capsule that opened up on the side just like
the spacewalk version...
I have to agree it is a waste of money, for years the robotic
boys have complained about the expense of sending meat
into space and if this means more money for space probes
then I'm all for it, as long as they introduce a virtual reality
experience for the masses.
I really mean cutting a big chunk of the science to bring back proper
stereoscopic real time as possible images with the wow factor and the
technology on Earth to let people feel like they are actually there.
95% of people are bored shitless with space exploration and they are going to have to stop being so nerdy and give it an x-factor makeover.

gohan

FH is my second home
we need a death star just incase the starship trooper bugs come calling and the men in black arent about to kick arse, or in case of a clingon invasion, both can be repelled by a death star

DEATHSTAR!!!!1111eleven

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I just think its a bit of a shame, though its not as if I will ever get into space. What's the difference between an astronaut's video camera and a robots video camera to me?

We should sort our own shit out as a planet before we head off out into the deep unknown fucking other shit up.

Ban religion and pointless race bickering then start on spreading the human virus.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's their money, they can spend it how they choose. It's not just up the US to fund space exploration.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
"This isn't a step backwards. I think the step backwards was trying to recreate the Moon landings of 40 years ago using largely yesterday's technology, instead of game-changing new technology that can take us further, faster and more affordably into space."

I agree completely with that. Besides, innovation through the private sector will be the way forward I think - not govt funded, innovation lacking, over-spending, under-achieving public sector projects.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
get the chinese to do it they are the ones with all the money now heh

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I heard that US has a $1300 billion debt.. I can't see why they're not trying to get to Mars in a hurry

The streets are paved with gold there

Ezteq

Queen of OT
... i just want to go to the moon on holiday tbh, i'd love to go to space.

and have a laser gun, and wear cool duds with lots of pockets and call everyone a motherfucker and shoot stuff, while smoking a fag; and do chin ups and have awesome biceps, and blow something up, and have people address me by my last name.

Bascially I want to live in the set of aliens lol.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
... i just want to go to the moon on holiday tbh, i'd love to go to space.

and have a laser gun, and wear cool duds with lots of pockets and call everyone a motherfucker and shoot stuff, while smoking a fag; and do chin ups and have awesome biceps, and blow something up, and have people address me by my last name.

Bascially I want to live in the set of aliens lol.

Private Ez Vasquez

a_026JenetteGoldstein.jpg

Ezteq

Queen of OT
hehe cool but I just can't do the bandana thing, on me they just look like hilda ogden :(

(google it lol)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
hehe cool but I just can't do the bandana thing, on me they just look like hilda ogden :(

(google it lol)

Poor Hilda, she was never the same after Stan died. :(

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I am disappointed by this news. I can't rightly say if Obama is right or if its just rhetoric to justify his actions. However, just wait until China decides they're interested in space, the Yanks will suddenly find a chunk of budget gets freed up.

Morning Coffee Rambling Time
-----------------------------

When the laser was invented there was no scientific application for it and yet now it is the cornerstone of many technologies we depend upon daily.

Short term benefits for moonshots and the like may be small. Long term may be massive.

The world has already benefitted from many of the technologies developed as an offshoot of the space programme. The space programme is one of the few things the US does that really does benefit the world.

Perhaps though, they've shouldered the cost alone for too long. It would be more likely to occur with multiple countries contributing. That is likely the way forward. I know in Europe there have been smallscale space programmes but really these go very little beyond punting up a satellite into orbit and contributing to space junk.

The International Space Station might be a better launch platform for a Mars-shot than the moon, given its proximity to the resources needed. I'd have thought a spaceship that doesn't care about having to re-enter would be easier to build than one which needs to be designed around launch and return. Then all you need at the Mars end is a lander module that can rejoin the main ship but the main ship never enters a planet's atmosphere.

A moonbase would be a great test environment for lots of things but horribly expensive to maintain at first until they managed to get self sufficiency quite high via hydroponics, recycling and other technologies to make minimal life sustainable.

Still, I'd love to see a Mars shot or a return to the moon. I feel the space programme speaks to the adventurous spark in each of us and turns our hearts and minds towards more positive things. We need to look ******d from ourselves. Looking inward will never allow us to grow.

EDIT: Uh... o.u.t.w.a.r.d is a bad word? :D

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Aside from all the technical scientific doodahs about space exploration I for one think it's good for the human spirit. I mean it puts things in to perspective and it gives us a sense of progression and hope (i.e. in what could ultimately be possible).

Seeing humans (who are just a marginally better evolved -though less well behaved - species of primate) able to work together to achieve something as awesome (and yes, it really does fill me with awe) makes me think that if we can do that in our current state of general dejection and argumentitave fuckery then what the heck else could we do...and what could we do if we were all a bit more inspired and less inclined towards said fuckery?

I grew up watching StarTrek and loved the optimism and hope the show portrayed, I'd like to live in such a future and watching space programmes develop makes me think we are a little closer to that future (rather than the post apocolyptic clusterfuck that we seem to be headed towards now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom