AMD 300 series

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Everybody knows the Fury X isn't part of the 300 series, but it was launched at the same event so it seemed logical to discuss it in this thread. :)

Buying the Fury X makes sense in a lot of ways. Much lower temperatures, much quieter at full load, much smaller card, cheaper than a 980 Ti (although not as quick at stock) and it's not made by Nvidia. OcUK had a promo on over the weekend for a 980 Ti at £499 but they even said it was a dumb marketing move because they were losing £3 per card.

Yes the Fury X benchmarks were disappointing. There was talk that perhaps the reviewers weren't using the correct drivers for their benchmarks (which would be typical of AMD tbh) but one of their reps has come out and said that wasn't the case. He also said, when commenting on a user's Fury X build, something like "Just need voltage control now to unlock the full power." which suggests that voltage control is something that we will see soon. The cooling system can get rid of nearly twice as much heat as the card can produce at stock so there's plenty of headroom there.

Then of course, there's the Fury cards in a few weeks, where the vendors have been given complete control of the PCB and the cooling solution etc. I'm going to wait til they are out before making any decisions.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The Fury X has double the cooling it needs because there will be a Fury X2 ( they already showed the board ).
If the air cooled fury runs at same speed and is £50+ cheaper, it'll sell very well.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But the Fury X2 (I think it'll be called the XT) has a different sized PCB and two GPUs... so the Fury X's block and copper bit will be incompatible (unless you're just talking about the fan/rad in which case I get your point).

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
The Fury X has double the cooling it needs because there will be a Fury X2 ( they already showed the board ).
If the air cooled fury runs at same speed and is £50+ cheaper, it'll sell very well.

But the Fury X2 (I think it'll be called the XT) has a different sized PCB and two GPUs... so the Fury X's block and copper bit will be incompatible (unless you're just talking about the fan/rad in which case I get your point).

Indeed, the cooling isn't comparable, plus the Fury X is currently using over half the suggested load of the AIO liquid cooler.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the first R9 Fury reviews are out, it seems to beat the 980 pretty much across the board. If they price it closer to £400 than £450 I reckon they might have an upper-mid-range winner on their hands.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
*Watches Nvidia chop prices of the 980 in half*

*hopes*

:D

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am looking to get a fury card but I am slightly confused, the standard 390 has 8 gig of ram but the fury only 4? Is that right or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Embattle

FH is my second home
The 390s use standard GDDR5 type memory whereas the Fury uses HBM hence it has less of it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They seem to be trying to fill a hole in the market that just isn't there.

Really no point upgrading for at least 6 months. 60fps/1080 max settings on any game is doable with a single 290 card. The next step is 60fps/4k and for that we need to wait for a single 14nm card solution.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A bit to close to the next gen to be worth it.
Because...? They've held off on the launch so it coincides better with VR stuff coming out. There's not going to be an HBM2 offering from Nvidia or AMD until next year and the next round from both companies is focussing on performance per watt rather than increasing performance (new manufacturing process means similar or marginally better performance is achievable with less power draw) so if you want a single card that will do it all, this is it. AMD have previous with getting dual-GPU cards right, the 295x2 is still regarded as the most powerful single card solution around.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They seem to be trying to fill a hole in the market that just isn't there.

Really no point upgrading for at least 6 months. 60fps/1080 max settings on any game is doable with a single 290 card. The next step is 60fps/4k and for that we need to wait for a single 14nm card solution.

VR, but yeah.

I really want to upgrade, but waiting for next gen :/ gonna suck vive'ing on my 970 for a few months.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Because...? They've held off on the launch so it coincides better with VR stuff coming out. There's not going to be an HBM2 offering from Nvidia or AMD until next year and the next round from both companies is focussing on performance per watt rather than increasing performance (new manufacturing process means similar or marginally better performance is achievable with less power draw) so if you want a single card that will do it all, this is it. AMD have previous with getting dual-GPU cards right, the 295x2 is still regarded as the most powerful single card solution around.

Even if they have waited for VR, which itself is over rated, it is still massively expensive and to close to the new generation.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

This. I'm close to the edge on an upgrade, but no point until I can comfortably run 4k. If I buy now i'll end up paying twice.

Edit: my main drive is VR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom