AMD 300 series

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If it is $549 it'll be at least £450.
Yeah.

But it does look like a new Xmas PC build will be on the cards. An i7 and a fury X will keep me in whatever games I fancy at 1080p 100fps+ for the next five years.

I'm not interested in 4k :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because it is barely technologically attainable at the moment...

I would actually like 90fps at 16k but its just not going to happen.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Because it is barely technologically attainable at the moment...

I would actually like 90fps at 16k but its just not going to happen.
I ask a sensible question i dont know the answer to and you facepalm me. Twat

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Admittedly AMD supplied these benchmarks but it's looking good for the Fury X!

BIqmOXb.png

ECA

I am a FH squatter
That's pretty nice considering they come in around £350.
Really looks like AMD have done a good job this cycle.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
£260 for a 390, spec wise they're more or less the same card, the 390x has slightly more stream processors though (2500 on the 390 and 2800 on the 390x)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well OK that was a bit of an anticlimax. Although to be fair, it's priced between the 980 and the 980 Ti (£509) and it performs pretty closely to the latter (exceeding it in a few benchmarks). I think I'll wait for the Fury Pro in a few weeks to see what Sapphire can come up with when they get carte blanche.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
£509 for the cheapest Fury X, AMD has pissed on their chips there. If it was a bit lower they'd make a monumental killing compared to what they'll be making off current price. if it was £450 or so people would be snapping them up like hotcakes, £50 cheaper than a 980 Ti and they out perform them out of the box... Ti's still overclock better though (allegedly)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Certainly isn't. I was hoping for a bit of a leap.

Its still far and away better value but I feel a little meh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah the consensus seems to be that AMD were out to beat the 980 (which they did convincingly) but then Nvidia went and screwed it all up by bringing the 980 Ti release forward and making it incredibly powerful and good value as well.

I still have hope that AMD will unlock the voltage control and real overclocking will be a possibility, otherwise it's down to the vendors with Fury in a couple of weeks. Interestingly, at a brief Q&A the other day, the AMD guy did pretty much everything except confirm that the Fiji in the non watercooled Fury and the Fiji in the Fury X are one and the same chip. Previously everybody thought that the Fury would be getting binned Fury X chips and that it would be inherently less powerful. The vendors have apparent full control over the Fury cards though so we could see some better performance there.

That said, there's already a full water block out for the Fury X, I'm giving serious thought to putting liquid cooling in to be honest. I was looking at some of the Corsair AIO solutions but I'd rather do something bespoke and I quite fancy a project over the summer. Anyway, this is the new Fury X block from EK:

b5d7452f_FC-R9-Fury-X_1_1200.jpeg

Not only is the Fury X already tiny but this block actually makes it a single slot card. That's mental.

Embattle

FH is my second home
AMDs overclocking margins haven't exactly been that good recently, it often feels like they have to push closer to the limit to compete against nvidia and thus leave less headroom.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Overclockers.co.uk currently has the AMD Fury X more or less predicted to land next month at the moment and the price starts at £509.99 which is the same as the 980 To.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Fury X isn't R9 300 series, but anyhoo...

The Fury X really doesn't make sense as a purchase if you can get even the best 980 Ti customs at the price. At least in Germany I've seen the Fury X at 699€ and the ultimate 980 Ti beast Gigabyte G1 Gaming at 711€.
Here in Finland the situation is a little different, you can't even get reference 980 Ti (734€) at the price of the cheapest Fury X (729€).

One mystery is if newer drivers for AMD will boost the Fury X. In addition to that, DX12 might be huge for Fiji. There is a test on HardwareLuxx with the 980 Ti vs Fury X on a synthetic DX12 bench, the results are quite interesting: http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...5798-reviewed-amd-r9-fury-x-4gb.html?start=21

The 390X is just ridiculous. It's a rebranded 290X with double the memory (which is fairly pointless considering the performance), and yet it costs gargantually more.
You can 290X here in Finland for 300€, and the cheapest 390X is 479€........... what.

The R9 Nano might be interesting. Plus it will interesting to see what the non-X Fury cards are like, since they will have custom coolers from manufacturers. Then again, it's Fiji as well so is there any benefit, since at least atm the Fury can't be OC'd jack crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom