Allow Subscription Password to be Modified

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by Slip Slipurson
I think the main reason for many (no not everyone) ppl wanting to change the pass is so they can sell, buy and trade accounts however they want...

but still it would be nice to be able to change the password to something easier :)

Hence, they should only allow the sub password to be changed based on the email the game was registered to at the start of subscription. This will limit (although not stop) account trading.

Also i dont believe we should be able to pick passwords, they should be randomly generated like the game one.

Something like a button on the accounts page "Request a new subscription password" that changes and emails out a new one to the email address used to register the account (not the current one that users can change) you would then need to contact GOA if you changed ISP or email. surely this would satisfy the customers and GOA ? pleeeeeeeeeeease.

M

Meatballs

Response (CS) 03/05/2003 08:10 PM
Hello,

We're really sorry but we don't allowed to modify the SUBSCRIPTION password, whichever the reason.

Thank you for your understanding...

We apologize for the delay in our reply. We had a big technical problem...

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

What a great big informative reply to my big long question :(

Customer 03/06/2003 02:24 PM
What are the reasons for GOA's refusal to change subscription passwords?

I also know of someone who has had their subscription password changed a while ago when their account became compromised.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Slip Slipurson

and this helps us how ?? we change our pass and he/she just logs the next login we do to subs pages.... i do not think there are many hackers that are after your daoc account, it is not like they can do much harm to it... the ppl that "hack" accounts are ppl that have come over passwords by "testing" others chars or old owners/friends of the char, so stop letting your chars be played by others and they are most likely to not be hacked/destroyed

If you find your subscription password has been taken, then you can take steps to secure your computer with a say stronger firewall policies, virus checker, or even reformatting. Then you can get your subs password changed, and not have any more worries.

I think the main reason for many (no not everyone) ppl wanting to change the pass is so they can sell, buy and trade accounts however they want...

If people have access to your subs password they have access to your name and address as well. Some people may want to change the pass for those reasons (GOA havn't done anything to the large numbers of high profile accounts that have been traded around which the whole community have known about for ages however), but there are people who genuinely need to get it changed, and other security concious people who want to get it changed, and they shouldn't suffer if it's due to a policy which GOA don't do a thing about anyway.

T

Teh Krypt

Ok so GoA won't listen to one rightnow message.

How about we all do a few more?

M

Meatballs

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh well I'll guess I'll just copy and paste my question again...

Response (CS) 03/07/2003 03:44 PM
Hello again,

We're really sorry but we don't allowed to modify the SUBSCRIPTION password, whichever the reason.

Thank you for your understanding.

We apologize for the delay in our reply. We had a big technical problem.

Kind regards,

Customer () 03/06/2003 02:24 PM
What are the reasons for GOA's refusal to change subscription passwords?

I also know of someone who has had their subscription password changed a while ago when their account became compromised.

Response (CS) 03/05/2003 08:10 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your understanding...

We apologize for the delay in our reply. We had a big technical problem...

Yours sincerely,

N

Ninth Dimension

bump, I 100% agree with this, the SUB password details should be allowed to be changed.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by -Nxs-
lost, but not forgotten.... BUMP !

this was taken from last weeks news....

from camelot-europe.com
Subscription Login and Password

Due to general public demand, we have added a new feature to the support pages : You can now get your subscription password forwarded to your registered email adress automatically.

A basic reminder on this subject : when you create a DAoC account on the official site, you are asked to enter personal information to enable us to identify you as the legitimate owner of the account : your name, surname, physical- and email address. This information has to be valid. After this subscription you will receive your Subscription and Game logins by email, as well as the corresponding passwords. Note that the mail specifies clearly that this information is confidential, and that you have to save them carefully, as they are your only way to interact with your account and subscription.

However, for different and always justified reasons, you have sent us numerous mails to tell us you have lost your subscription ID (often the subscription login). In this case we have a precise procedure to automatically send back your ID to the Email address indicated in your profile. For this you have to go to the 'Account' page of the official web site, and click on the link 'If you have forgotten your subscription password'. If you can't access your email anymore, or if you have not updated your profile, then you can ask at subscription@goa.com for your ID to be sent back by regular mail.

Thus keep your subscription ID safe (burning a CD, copying it to a floppy disk, writing it on a paper stored somewhere). And if you change your email/physical address, update your profile as soon as possible

N

-Nxs-

Yes I saw the news, kinda reminded me to bump this thread again.

The news only coveres sending your existing sub password to the address the game was original registered to.

how hard can it be to stick a "Generate New Sub Password" box on the same page.

N

-Nxs-

I'll happily pay my 30% more sub charge... just let me request a new sub password damn it !! :)

O

old.Tohtori

No! NOOOO! Not this thread again! Ok! OK! FINE!

Feeling lucky? Well...do ya, punk?!

Here's an oldie!

:mgwhore2: :help: :mgwhore:

MWAHAHAHA!!!

E

Elenah Lopez

Originally posted by Meatballs
You could have used the password for another service to make you remember it and they could obtain it from there.

This is one of the reasons that they won't let you choose your own passwords... 90% of the users don't think about their passwords or the security involved and use the same one on every single service where they need one, yes - even banksoftware...

As an end-user support engineer I have been yelled at by both partys:

. You have people who want to have and keep the same simple password and get mad when they have to change it because 'they already have a zillion passwords to remember'

. You have those that get mad because they can't change their passwords and 'oh my the security risk!!!'

If you wish to have the password policy changed for daoc, then they will need to enforce a regular password change for every user (if you really want it to be correct/more secure)... Rightnow will probably be busier then ever by people who get mad that they have to change it AGAIN and by those that have forgotten their password...

Just my 10 copper..

However, I do wish to /sign this thread as I for one am all for choosing your own passwords and take the responsibility for your own account.

C

cougar-

yeah realy great if it could be changed, someone get hold of your sub, change your mailadress to his, request new sub and your account is lost forever.

O

old.Maronan

By the way, if you ever used http://www.camelot-europe.com/'s different login areas (RightNow, Subscription Pages, Polls) and anyone would be able to sniff your network traffic... woops, he would be able to have your password.

Tough luck! :)

E

Elenah Lopez

Originally posted by cougar-
yeah realy great if it could be changed, someone get hold of your sub, change your mailadress to his, request new sub and your account is lost forever.

We are not living in the stoneage no more you know. There are such things as logfiles. What's the thief going to say, that it's actually HIS visa c-card information that's in the logs? Is HE in possession of a FACTURE.PDF file (which you should keep safe) that contains proove YOU have payed for it? These things are oh so easy traceable...

This is not just a game, it's a product, just like any other product on the market. Buy a pc, television, printer, whatever, it has a serial number (cd-key) and you have the invoice (facture.pdf). The only difference between material and daoc, is that daoc cannot be fysically stolen, which makes it even easier to prove theft.

It's only a matter of goa WANTING to put time in it imo.

C

cougar-

Originally posted by Elenah Lopez
We are not living in the stoneage no more you know. There are such things as logfiles. What's the thief going to say, that it's actually HIS visa c-card information that's in the logs? Is HE in possession of a FACTURE.PDF file (which you should keep safe) that contains proove YOU have payed for it? These things are oh so easy traceable...

This is not just a game, it's a product, just like any other product on the market. Buy a pc, television, printer, whatever, it has a serial number (cd-key) and you have the invoice (facture.pdf). The only difference between material and daoc, is that daoc cannot be fysically stolen, which makes it even easier to prove theft.

It's only a matter of goa WANTING to put time in it imo.

you do know you can change sub pass? ive changed it twice. you just good reason and realy prove you own account. system works great exept for account traders.

S

sugah

old.tohtori there are people around that are sad enough to just go for the account details of games. Look at the mmorpg legend of mir. Someone wrote an entire trojan just to steal the account details. People hack email accounts just to use there msn to try and gain access to accounts. Spoof email address's etc etc. The fact is there are very sad people around and account security vs account trading isn't a good enough reason to not allow it.

E

Evitharil

Originally posted by cougar-
you do know you can change sub pass? ive changed it twice. you just good reason and realy prove you own account. system works great exept for account traders.

And how did you change it then, by emailing them and requesting it?

Users who are viewing this thread