Allow Subscription Password to be Modified

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Meatballs

How does anyone find out anyones password? There's hundreds of reasons why...

And i asked how? What is 1+1? The answer isn't : There are hundreds of possible answers, some more correct then others.

I asked how so do tell, since you have hundreds of ways, is it possible?

A

Addlcove

Tohtori wasn´t nice of you to use my subpass as example :p

and I agree if you let ANYONE get hands on your subspass you´ve not been careful enough, yeah they can break in on your computer and get it from your emails GET A :flame: wall FFS, only DAoC addictive LOSERS will break into your computer and go straight for your password

T

Trubble

I totally agree. Its a major flaw to consider account trading a more important issue than data security. As it is now, you might as well quit if your account gets compromised, as the hacker will forever more have access to it.

Also in everquest all items got a unique ID, so its possible to track where items are going, meaning its easy to identify a thief... but in Daoc? - its a joke.

It might require much effort on Mythic now to implement features to assist people like Spankya, but had it been a priority from the beginning it would have been piss-easy.

B

Belsameth

why're you bumping it if it's nearly at the top anyway?
or are you lacking any ability, skill or stamania to raise your postcount through at least half decent ways?

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Soulcatcher
or are you lacking any ability, skill or stamania to raise your postcount through at least half decent ways?

:clap:

oops postcount posted post :m00:

T

Tilda

Originally posted by Nightchill
regarding subscription passwords, i've got mine twice (shh) within 2 hours. You need to send:

your full name
the email address you registered with
the address you registered with
your cd-key

to subscription@goa.com

and they get back pretty f.quick :)

might find that helpful

Tilda

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Nightchill
regarding subscription passwords, i've got mine twice (shh) within 2 hours. You need to send:

your full name
the email address you registered with
the address you registered with
your cd-key

to subscription@goa.com

and they get back pretty f.quick

Is that retrieving the subscription password or getting it changed?

Originally posted by old.Tohtori

And i asked how? What is 1+1? The answer isn't : There are hundreds of possible answers, some more correct then others.

I asked how so do tell, since you have hundreds of ways, is it possible?

• Someone could watch you type it in.
    Someone could run a keylogger on your computer.
    Someone could read it from a piece of paper in your home.
    Someone could read it from your computer if its held in a file.
    Someone could read it from your email account if the email is still held (cant remember if they sent it to me with my email address).
    Someone could use the method quoted above if they knew you're details perhaps.
    You could have used the password for another service to make you remember it and they could obtain it from there.
    You could mistype/misspaste it into the wrong window (IRC) and broadcast it to the world.

Sure other people could come up with more examples but I cba.

Originally posted by Octanion
and I agree if you let ANYONE get hands on your subspass you´ve not been careful enough, yeah they can break in on your computer and get it from your emails GET A :flame: wall FFS

No-one has my subs password, and I am running a firewall, but I still want the ability to change it. Firewalls not going to help if they have physical access to your computer.

May I suggest RightNow?
it IS the number 1 tool for any form of communication with GOA.
however unfortunate that may be

Many people have tried RightNow and they have replied they won't allow the password to be changed. (Although I'm pretty sure they have changed it in some circumstances... Can ye confirm plz mistar Brannor McThiff? :) )

Bumping cos they agree perhaps. Idea of post to get enough backing so someone will take enough notice.

P.S. allo DB ::fluffle:

N

Nightchill

the instructions i gave (and copied here by Tilda) are for retrieving it, not changing.

O

old.Tohtori

Someone could watch you type it in.

Well you got yourself a real ninja problem there...maybe you should hire a few of your own to keep them from peeking over your shoulder. Or maybe it's the guy nextdoor with a nice pair of binoculars. Oh the spy world of getting a sub pass....

Someone could run a keylogger on your computer.

If people run a keylogger just to get your password to DAoC instead of your mastercard then you should count your lucky stars.

Someone could read it from a piece of paper in your home.

Gives a new meaning to the word breaking and entering...perhaps it should be changed to "Breaking and stealing my subscription password"

Someone could read it from your computer if its held in a file.

Yes, a firewall is the solution here. And if anyone tells that they don't know how to get one then maybe they shouldn't be messing in the inturnet at all. Or maybe they should learn how to ask.

Someone could read it from your email account if the email is still held (cant remember if they sent it to me with my email address).

Now this is another case for Teh Firewall(tm) but incase you are daft enough to not know how to install one, perhaps you should think about if this is more of a email security problem.

Someone could use the method quoted above if they knew you're details perhaps.

I quote above as well. If they know you then you know how to make them pay.

You could have used the password for another service to make you remember it and they could obtain it from there.

Seriously, who on earth is so stupid that they use their DAoC password in their hotmail or pr0nsites? No wait...don't answer that...

You could mistype/misspaste it into the wrong window (IRC) and broadcast it to the world.

Perhaps you should write it instead of driving on the fastlane. And if you accidently paste it to irc instead of the tiny box saying "password here please" then amybe you need to learn a lesson. Also i doubt anyone would be using irc when their about to log in, since you can't chat on irc while playing...or are you using DAoX? Shame....

Gimme more, these are fun! Stupid people...

G

Gimly

>>Well you got yourself a real ninja problem there...maybe you should hire a few of your own to keep them from peeking over your shoulder. Or maybe it's the guy nextdoor with a nice pair of binoculars. Oh the spy world of getting a sub pass....

What if the person in question is playing from an internet cafe? I know I do and so do quite a few other people that i know.

>>Gives a new meaning to the word breaking and entering...perhaps it should be changed to "Breaking and stealing my subscription password"

You ever thought that just maybe not all of your friends are trustworthy.

>>Seriously, who on earth is so stupid that they use their DAoC password in their hotmail or pr0nsites? No wait...don't answer that...

:doh: ;) :p

>>Perhaps you should write it instead of driving on the fastlane. And if you accidently paste it to irc instead of the tiny box saying "password here please" then amybe you need to learn a lesson. Also i doubt anyone would be using irc when their about to log in, since you can't chat on irc while playing...or are you using DAoX? Shame....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

M

Meatballs

Now this is another case for Teh Firewall(tm) but incase you are daft enough to not know how to install one, perhaps you should think about if this is more of a email security problem.

Perhaps you should write it instead of driving on the fastlane. And if you accidently paste it to irc instead of the tiny box saying "password here please" then amybe you need to learn a lesson. Also i doubt anyone would be using irc when their about to log in, since you can't chat on irc while playing...or are you using DAoX? Shame....

Look in a mirror jesus, firewalls dont fix everything, email accounts also have pretty zip all to do security wise with a firewall. I hate it when people pretend they are knowledgable.

Subscription password has nothing to do with loging into the game, and you can have irc running in the background when you run the game anyway. or you could do it if you copied it to a file on your computer when you first subscribe. I have posted my Q-password on irc, and im sure lots of other people have by a simple mistype (actually I have seen it happen enough times), its not an unknown circumstance.

I think Gimly summed up about people watching you type it in, and its not just complete strangers that take vengeance on you're account, ever pissed off a sibling?

My subscription password is only known by me, my brother could get it if he looked in my manual book if I pissed him off. I was suggesting reasons why people might want to have their passwords changed, which can be for, as I said thousands of different reasons.

T

Trubble

You know jack shit of security Tohtori.

Half of it is knowing how to protect yourself, the other half is knowing how to recover from a security breach.

Mythic/Goa is doing a great job to provide high security, but they are doing jack shit to help the customers recover if their security is breached.

Learn Tohtori and you may advance from amateur to professional.

;-)

N

-Nxs-

Bump again.

But only let the email account you registered the game with access to get a new sub password.

Limits (but will not completely stop) account trading then.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Meatballs (with a few add-ons from yours truly)

Look in a mirror jesus,
(First off stop calling me jesus! Secondly...why would you put a firewall into a mirror? Silly bo-beep.)

firewalls dont fix everything
(No, you're right. Firewalls, and other such programming, only stop all incoming traffic you really don't want there. Yes, firewalls CAN and WILL stop everything you don't want there...if it doesn't, then you got a bad one. Fixing things is more like the work of...mm...fix'o'matic 2003)

, email accounts also have pretty zip all to do security wise with a firewall. I hate it when people pretend they are knowledgable.
(I know stuff. I'm no genious in them but evidently neither are you. knowledgable....how about speaking plain english Mr Fancy Words. Try... I hate it when people think they know everything. Saying that you ahte people being knowledgable only means that you hate people that know stuff. Bo-Beep getting pissy?)

Subscription password has nothing to do with loging into the game, and you can have irc running in the background when you run the game anyway.
(Yes well, i really don't have anything more to say to this..if you copy/paste things into irc by "accident" then you should get slapped on the wrist.)

or you could do it if you copied it to a file on your computer when you first subscribe.
(Yes i totally agree. Mmhm, files are truly bad for stuff. three letters, wtf?)

I have posted my Q-password on irc, and im sure lots of other people have by a simple mistype (actually I have seen it happen enough times), its not an unknown circumstance.
(Even if's it's not unknown doesn't make it less daft. Post password on IRC, you are either a bit rednecky or a bit newbish)

I think Gimly summed up about people watching you type it in, and its not just complete strangers that take vengeance on you're account, ever pissed off a sibling?
(Yes. Pissing off my brothers was so much fun before i moved away from home.... Sorry, didn't realise i was discussing a point with someone who isn't even 15...)

My subscription password is only known by me, my brother could get it if he looked in my manual book if I pissed him off.
((Trust noone, be a happy DAoC player. In DAoC even the deepest of relationships mean tiddlysquat. Show me a player who is succesful in DAoC and i'll show you a player who knows that he(or she) can trust 0only the mouse on the table.))

I was suggesting reasons why people might want to have their passwords changed, which can be for, as I said thousands of different reasons.
(And i'm doing my best to try and prove that if you're worried of loosing your password then you have options, loads and loads of options how to secure that little line of letters and numbers. Don't hate the player, hate the game :p )

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Trubble

You know jack shit of security Tohtori.

Half of it is knowing how to protect yourself, the other half is knowing how to recover from a security breach.

Mythic/Goa is doing a great job to provide high security, but they are doing jack shit to help the customers recover if their security is breached.

Learn Tohtori and you may advance from amateur to professional.

;-)

Well you do like JAck and you do like shit. Half of it is knowing to protect yourself and...*laughs*..ok Mr Security Officer, you seem to know sooo much more then i do about security. You afterall know this phrase "Half of it is knowing how to protect yourself, the other half is knowing how to recover from a security breach.
"....Shocking! If you really want to impress your guildmates or possibly your newly found girlfriend then atleast show that i'm inferior to your 3l33t skills and don't just come in shouting "Me have teh big answer!!" and try to look cool with phrases like "I'm not a crook!"

Learn Trubble and you might advance from a twat to n00b.

M

Meatballs

Tohtori, thanks for those new wonderful replies from you. :rolleyes:

(Even if's it's not unknown doesn't make it less daft. Post password on IRC, you are either a bit rednecky or a bit newbish)

You have to type your password into IRC, otherwise you cant auth with Q, which is an IRC bot.

(No, you're right. Firewalls, and other such programming, only stop all incoming traffic you really don't want there. Yes, firewalls CAN and WILL stop everything you don't want there...if it doesn't, then you got a bad one. Fixing things is more like the work of...mm...fix'o'matic 2003)

You think every daoc user and his dog, (and stealth cat), knows how to configure a firewall versus every security breach, and still leave it functional? They CAN the WILL is definitly up to the user. I don't expect you know how to use your firewall to close/open a specific port, I guess like most people, you are using ZoneAlarm, which configures it from the programs you are running.

(And i'm doing my best to try and prove that if you're worried of loosing your password then you have options, loads and loads of options how to secure that little line of letters and numbers. Don't hate the player, hate the game )

Unless you can memorise your subscription password, there are no options to secure your password completly. Even if you can there are still ways it can slip through.

O

old.Glendower

nice idea

I would like to be able to choose my own login pw...i dont want a random-generated one!

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Nos-
Stop being thick fucks pls!

he isn't actually. he's just playing one to annoy you guys, to great success too. haven't you ever read any of his other posts?

O

o_O

I can't understand why GOA would punish their CUSTOMERS for things they may not be able to prevent. Everyone who plays DAoC surely ain't a computer wiz and may not understand the concept of firewalls and other ways to protect your computer. If you have your mail directed to an external mail server may it be hotmail, yahoo or a pop3 mail server somewhere you cannot be responsible for any hackings that may occur, so why punish your paying customers.

This shows a complete lack of respect for your paying customers and this would mean the end to many other companies if they had the same policy.

What if your VISA card was stolen or in other ways compromised and there was no way you could get a new one or lock it so noone could get a hold of your money.

This is maybe not the best comparison but think about how much money us DAoC players put into GOA's bank accounts for playing the game. Not allowing to change subs password may get your HARD EARNED (not to mention expensive) characters deleted.

The only thing GOA will do if your characters is give the chars back (without any gear or money)... and in many cases they can't restore some chars... YIPPEY! and the fucking hacker still has your subs pass and can keep ripping your account apart forever...

This is such bullshit from GOA's part... best wishes and may the GOA employees have years of misery and tragedy in the future.

over and out...

K

kr0n

So far from what I've seen, they've only changed the subs passes for people who can prove something has already happened to them. EG the lately oh-so-witty-"account hacking" issues which has been happening alot in the near past.

A

Avena

/bump!

Those CSR can't do sh*t, they are there just for fun or something, asked them often to do something and there is in MOST cases some problem going on, they can't do it or just sounds to be they don't bother!

One angry huntha!

K

Kicks

tell me Tohtori how would u defend yourself if u were and irc user who had inadvertantly d/led a nasty script that attatched itself to irc and used this access to get to your daoc subscription password. Zonealarm wouldnt catch it and stop it since being an irc user u've allowed it access. Believe it or not there are ppl out there who are sad enough to sit and code something like that and tbh it aint that hard either. I've intercepted several of these scripts and examined them and they are a piece of piss to create and damn hard to spot.

If someone wants your p/w enough they will get it.

sad but true

Users who are viewing this thread