MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It depends tho, innit - Ideally yes, your clients should be able to digest x265/x264 and mkv container, and avoid having to transcode alltogether. But it's not like that in most cases - you have a mix of clients (TV, tablet, phone, etc), some capable enough to direct play, some not.

Therefor, transcoding capability on the NAS / media server side should exist.

Plus, media comes in wildly different combos of resolution, bitrate, codec, container - you'd be hard pressed to be in a situation where your clients can seamlessly direct play everything you throw at them.

Additionally, if you stream content to friends / relatives, it gets even more complicated.

The basic and simple transcoding capability would be with a QSV Intel cpu, not an option in my case, as I have old Xeon cpu in my nas - so I just threw in a dedicated nvidia gpu (P400 originally, now P2000), which does the job with ease. Not to mention re-encoding takes a _lot_ of time and power consumption.
Don't agree to be honest, will say I meant encode not re-encode, better to pick right first

Embattle

FH is my second home
In my system I just pick the most supported format, probably except a few 4k MKV's it works on everything in the house.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fucking hell. Does management still ignore their security teams?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom