Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Christ, Curl and Wget are amazing programs for what they do, everyone has at least one of them installed.

I'm speculating remote code execution

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nice and sloppy coding.

@Zarjazz did you write the offending code perchance? :p

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Nice and sloppy coding.

@Zarjazz did you write the offending code perchance? :p
I'm offended. My code never had security problems.

It might crash, not work as intended, or have resource problems, sure. But it never had any issues with security.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm offended. My code never had security problems.

It might crash, not work as intended, or have resource problems, sure. But it never had any issues with security.
Of course it had no issues with security as it crashed way before they could discover any exploits.

old.Osy

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That all stopped when I had my balls de-plumbed in 2014 :(
Fuck that, after the op was your ball bag the size of a black bin bag? oh and all out of shape?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, but it ached for months.
Apparently a small, but still significant proportion, of blokes get lifelong ball pain.

I always thought gin and knitting needles was a better solution tbh ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Apparently a small, but still significant proportion, of blokes get lifelong ball pain.

I always thought gin and knitting needles was a better solution tbh ;)
James Corden Reaction GIF by National Theatre

old.Osy

Oi, geroff and feck yerselfs to random spam

old.Osy

Back to it then:

Epyc still on top.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saw that about 15m ago.

Anyone got any recommendations on not crap not extortionate HDDs for movie storage?

Am considering a NAS at some point but don't even know where to start. Also probably looking at a Beelink piece of kit for transcoding.
Last round I did if this I shucked a bunch of WD external USB drives for a NAS to hold my DVD rips. As it's not the end of the world if they do go wrong as the contents not unique, so it depends on your use case.

old.Osy

All my drives inside the NAS are shucked WD Elementals, bar the parity disk, which is a brand new Toshiba MG10 of 20TB.

@Overdriven , if you can wait, I think hdd prices will drop soon(ish).

As for where to start with the NAS, it really depends on your scope and expectations out of this box. If it's straight up serving files / backup and nothing else, I'd recommend pre-built (Synology, Qnap, Asustor, etc).

If however you also want to run a media server, containers, VMs, other services, I would strongly recommend DIY. You can start small, by re-using whatever hardware you may have lying around, or a mix, or if you have the dosh, straight up configure new.

I'm not an expert, but I know enough - I can assist if you'd like.

Edit: my drives
1705758555252.png

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just noticed the transcoding part as well. Frankly, just don't bother, it's bullshit. Re-encode stuff to a better format if you need to because you need more horsepower to transcode which is fine but pointless from a NAS as the amount of time you actually need that power is minimal

old.Osy

Just noticed the transcoding part as well. Frankly, just don't bother, it's bullshit. Re-encode stuff to a better format if you need to because you need more horsepower to transcode which is fine but pointless from a NAS as the amount of time you actually need that power is minimal

It depends tho, innit - Ideally yes, your clients should be able to digest x265/x264 and mkv container, and avoid having to transcode alltogether. But it's not like that in most cases - you have a mix of clients (TV, tablet, phone, etc), some capable enough to direct play, some not.

Therefor, transcoding capability on the NAS / media server side should exist.

Plus, media comes in wildly different combos of resolution, bitrate, codec, container - you'd be hard pressed to be in a situation where your clients can seamlessly direct play everything you throw at them.

Additionally, if you stream content to friends / relatives, it gets even more complicated.

The basic and simple transcoding capability would be with a QSV Intel cpu, not an option in my case, as I have old Xeon cpu in my nas - so I just threw in a dedicated nvidia gpu (P400 originally, now P2000), which does the job with ease. Not to mention re-encoding takes a _lot_ of time and power consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom