Phones Advice needed

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know that it was my reply to someone giving their opinion. I have stated I don't have an iPad any more because of the value and how much I use my tablet. I hate these threads if you like Apple you get ganged up on.
Not really, I still have my 3GS which I had for about 4 years. The Nexus isn't beaten that badly by an iPad Mini tbfh. IMHO you're overstating it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
My work phone is an S3 and my personal is a 4s.

I think they're both great in terms of performance and quality of apps and you'll find it hard to go wrong with either. I will say that the stock android keyboard is shite though (settings button far too close to the spacebar etc.); download swiftkey if you go with the S3. Oh .. and the 4S feels 'nicer'. :).. covers are for prissy girls.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Out of the 3 I would go for the S3, I have an S4 and really like it and fiddled with my mates S3 - I actually prefer the S3 for the feel but the S4 is faster and has a slightly better screen.

I want to drop kick my wife's Iphone every time she asks me to answer it for her or do something on it. She likes it though because she play candy crush saga. I am sure they are fine if you can learn to navigate the terrible UI.

Candy Crush is available on Android as well...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
8gb isn't enogh if you plan to install apps and put music on the phone.

The iphone is not expandable, the xperia sp is pretty crappy (Bodhi) will disagree. The s3 out of those for me, ignore the android / Ios debate, it's simply the better specced of the three and has expandable memory.

The thing is if you like your iphone and are used to it then you'll be happier with the 4s... but if you've currently got a 16gb or larger model then don't bother with this "upgrade".

You are correct, I will disagree, the Xperia SP is bloody superb. The missus has one and loves it. Cracking performance and battery life (will easily last longer than a 4S or S3), Sony's media apps are cracking, build quality is on a par with the iPhone and far superior to the S3, call quality is brilliant, I could go on, but I'll just point you to El Reg review instead.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/21/review_sony_xperia_sp_mid_range_android_smartphone/?page=3

Or GSM Arena

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_sp-review-924.php

Especially interesting in the GSMA review are the benchmarks, the SP is massively faster than the S3.

Only negatives are the camera isn't one of Sony's best, and if you're the sort who looks at their phone from wide angles the screen can wash out in the extremes, but apart from that it's a cracking phone. Seems far more reliable than the S3 (had 3 in the family now, all 3 broke at some stage, 2 have turned into Xperia Zs - and no, I didn't suggest they buy one). It should run KitKat by March/April time too.

I'm due a new works phone soon - got given a cast off iPhone 4 which broke, I'm no lover of iOS so just used my old Xperia S instead. If I can't get one of the Z series (I'd love a Z Ultra) I'll go for an SP.

soze

I am a FH squatter
MYstIC G said:
Not really, I still have my 3GS which I had for about 4 years. The Nexus isn't beaten that badly by an iPad Mini tbfh. IMHO you're overstating it.
I do not think I am. Remember my point was the OS matters. And for me the iPad and the Apps make it a better device. Not £200 better crucially but if it was not my Money I would have an iPad. And I would not take any phone over my 5s as it is all set up and how I like it. It is personal preference and the simple OS and better quality apps are important to me.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
We are doing mdm testing at work at the moment so I've got a note 3 to play with currently. It's a beast of a phone, but not sure I could live with the size as my main phone.

soze

I am a FH squatter
We are doing mdm testing at work at the moment so I've got a note 3 to play with currently. It's a beast of a phone, but not sure I could live with the size as my main phone.
Yeah it is a monster and the screen is epic but you are right its far too big.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah it is a monster and the screen is epic but you are right its far too big.
It's not a phone you can put in your pocket and forget about! That screen is amazing though, if I didn't have a tablet already then would the perfect device.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It is huge. Add a case (I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid) and a screen protector (Spigen Glas.tr) and it becomes even huger. I find myself taking it out of my pocket at every opportunity; when I'm at home, when I'm driving. You *definitely* can't forget that it's in your pocket! But yeah, it's fantastic in every way - I'm bowled over by THAT screen and the battery life.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Mrs has a note 2 phone and loves it but she has a bag to put it in not a pocket hehe

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Texting is a pile of shit. Apps have adverts. Apps don't do they things they should, such as notifications so you have to re-install the app. Oh and the app store is wank in comparison. Phone feels too light. Podcast apps are not as good as Apple's, also the fact songs wont play the next without inserting a short pause. Tried multiple music players, some paid for and it still occurs. Never had that problem on the iPhone.
Battery is nice though.

That all sounds like you simply can't use android tbh. The s4 isn't as nice as the s3 though imo.

Yeah you nailed it. I can't use a phone.

Texting on android really is poor in comparison. I could be drunk, blindfolded and using the wrong hand, yet still compose a perfect message on iPhone. Either way this has nothing to do with me 'being able to use android'.
Apps have adverts. Again, your facetious comment about whether I can or cannot use Android does not apply. They still have adverts on apps. Oh but wait, I can buy the app to get rid of these? Yeah cause that's exactly how Apple works isn't it...

The app store is weak in comparison. Lets take a popular website such as Asos. I tried to install the app on my Android about 4 months back. I went onto their website and got a lovely message saying "Oh why not use our app". I clicked the button and saw a page telling me it's only available on Apple devices.

Other apps work fine, for a while. I am not tinkering around with settings. I understand how Android works, however I don't care enough to go round modding or changing settings for making a small benefit. Some apps after a while decide to stop sending me notifications. I don't know why this is because no settings have changed. I even checked the settings and they were fine. I did the usual, untick them, force close, open, re-tick. Or re-install and the problems are either fixed (for a while) or stay as they were.

This post is more for the original poster. I cba to go into any more detail.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So again, you clearly just can't use android. Reinforced by all your comments below.
Yeah you nailed it. I can't use a phone.

Texting on android really is poor in comparison. I could be drunk, blindfolded and using the wrong hand, yet still compose a perfect message on iPhone. Either way this has nothing to do with me 'being able to use android'.
Apps have adverts. Again, your facetious comment about whether I can or cannot use Android does not apply. They still have adverts on apps. Oh but wait, I can buy the app to get rid of these? Yeah cause that's exactly how Apple works isn't it...

The app store is weak in comparison. Lets take a popular website such as Asos. I tried to install the app on my Android about 4 months back. I went onto their website and got a lovely message saying "Oh why not use our app". I clicked the button and saw a page telling me it's only available on Apple devices.

Other apps work fine, for a while. I am not tinkering around with settings. I understand how Android works, however I don't care enough to go round modding or changing settings for making a small benefit. Some apps after a while decide to stop sending me notifications. I don't know why this is because no settings have changed. I even checked the settings and they were fine. I did the usual, untick them, force close, open, re-tick. Or re-install and the problems are either fixed (for a while) or stay as they were.

This post is more for the original poster. I cba to go into any more detail.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To be fair, quite a few android apps are flaky but that's the trade off for having a pretty open app system. I would rather that than have my apps authorised by Apple. As for the adverts, they can be blocked.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Thinking the apps are not as good does not mean you can't use Android. @Raven is right the greater freedom does mean more choice of apps but it also means they lack any real quality control. I use an App called Qouch to control SB, Sab and CP. The Android alternative MediaDog which cost me more money is pony. It rarely works and just goes away for long times. So far I have not found an Android app that is more polished or smoother than its iOS counterpart.

This is just personal experience on the apps I use so there might be thousands of them out there.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thinking the apps are not as good does not mean you can't use Android. @Raven is right the greater freedom does mean more choice of apps but it also means they lack any real quality control. I use an App called Qouch to control SB, Sab and CP. The Android alternative MediaDog which cost me more money is pony. It rarely works and just goes away for long times. So far I have not found an Android app that is more polished or smoother than its iOS counterpart.

This is just personal experience on the apps I use so there might be thousands of them out there.
quouch moved to Android when apple blocked it. Search the Android store for foshow it's far superior to quouch in every way

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's qouch nzb on android and it's shit as is mediadog

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I got a Sony Xperia SP for £10.50 a month w/ 600 mins + 600 mb + unlimited texts :3

Just wanna know what the phones like.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah Cr3tin I should be using yet another app to block spam which should not be there in the first place.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah Cr3tin I should be using yet another app to block spam which should not be there in the first place.
To be fair @Bahumat most decent android apps operate a two tiered approach, try it with adverts which you can then get rid of by purchasing the app.

I still use my old 3GS for work related items, so I get along with both operating systems just fine. I do find there are certain things that I just can't do on iOS though which frustrate me. For example I'm currently using PocketCasts for podcasting, I can't get the old version of it for iOS6 because the app store just doesn't work that way, the latest version is an iOS7 app so I cannot even pay for the older version that did work on iOS6. Go figure.

soze

I am a FH squatter
To be fair @Bahumat most decent android apps operate a two tiered approach, try it with adverts which you can then get rid of by purchasing the app.

I still use my old 3GS for work related items, so I get along with both operating systems just fine. I do find there are certain things that I just can't do on iOS though which frustrate me. For example I'm currently using PocketCasts for podcasting, I can't get the old version of it for iOS6 because the app store just doesn't work that way, the latest version is an iOS7 app so I cannot even pay for the older version that did work on iOS6. Go figure.
You seem very switched on so you probably know. But in your iTunes folder it stores the old versions of the apps too which you can normally drag to the phone to install the old version. Only helpful if you synced the old version to your PC.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
You seem very switched on so you probably know. But in your iTunes folder it stores the old versions of the apps too which you can normally drag to the phone to install the old version. Only helpful if you synced the old version to your PC.
Yeah I lucked out on that front, unfortunately I only came across PocketCasts after its iOS7 version had been released. It's a real shame because the killer sync across platforms feature was what sold it to me on android to begin with.

going back to @Moriath original question, out of those if you find the iphone screen a bit small, pick the S3. Having only just made a jump forward after 3 years the screen sizes and abilities alone are ridiculously better these days. If you've got your iPhone set up exactly how you like it however, take the easy route and get the updated iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom