Phones Advice needed

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Pros and cons

I have the ability to upgrade my iphone 4 (wpork mobile) to one of the following

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB
Iphone 4s 8GB
Sony xperia SP 8GB

I dont know much about phones they will all do the calling and email etc but which is the better battery life etc etc

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
8gb isn't enogh if you plan to install apps and put music on the phone.

The iphone is not expandable, the xperia sp is pretty crappy (Bodhi) will disagree. The s3 out of those for me, ignore the android / Ios debate, it's simply the better specced of the three and has expandable memory.

The thing is if you like your iphone and are used to it then you'll be happier with the 4s... but if you've currently got a 16gb or larger model then don't bother with this "upgrade".

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nope my current 4 is 8gb

Silly work and their meanness hehe.

Anyone tell me what the battery life is like on the s3 ?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anyone tell me what the battery life is like on the s3 ?

Depends on what you do with it. Charged mine this morning and it's about 50% now but I spent about 4 hours reading a book on Aldiko on the highest brightness setting.

If I'm only phoning on it I'd usually get a couple of days. If I'm running Endomondo to track my bike rides I've had at least ten hours out of it before now...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sounds reasonable. Erring towards the s3 then I think

Poag

m00?
S3 is large. if your used to a iphone 4 it will be massive in your hands. Highly suggest going into a shop and holding one for a while to see if you like it.....

Personally i'd have a wangle at work and see if you can swing a Nexus 5. I know the reason they've given you the S3, Samsung do excellent MDM software support. N5 not so much.
However its cheaper, smaller and in my opinion a better phone :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
, ignore the android / Ios debate, it's simply the better specced of the three and has expandable memory.
I have to disagree with that completely the OS on the phone some users will be far more important than the dick measuring that is phone specs. Having done it myself going from iOS to Android (iPad Mini to Hudl) the "higher" spec (quad vs dual core ect) of the Hudl does not equal a better device it is far from it.

The specs are not nearly as important as the OS. If you have any must have applications then make sure they are on Android or an alternate is available before making the change. If you hate change and hate tinkering then stick with iOS. If you like playing with your toys and don't mind fiddling to get things where you want them then Android gives you a hell of a lot more scope for change.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Tesco £120 Android Tablet.

The fact it costs a third of an iPad means I will leave with it but it is a third of the device. Very very slow in comparison and naff battery life are my main complaints.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, can I suggest that comparing an iPad with the Tesco Value of Android tablets isn't exactly a fair fight. :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Well, can I suggest that comparing an iPad with the Tesco Value of Android tablets isn't exactly a fair fight. :)
I know that and it proves my point. Hardware specs side by side the Hudl is its equal. Yet you are saying it is not fair to compare them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I know that and it proves my point. Hardware specs side by side the Hudl is its equal. Yet you are saying it is not fair to compare them.

Hardware specs side by side are NOT equal. Not by a long shot. Processor speeds are kind of irrelevant(ish) because iOS and Android work differently (basically Android needs more grunt to do the same job), and so the Hudl lacks RAM (a Nexus 7 has 2GB RAM to get similar performance benchmarks to a 1GB iPad Mini Retina), and the Hudl has a massively inferior screen (once again the Nexus is on par with the iPad), and is heavy and plasticky. I'd say you get what you pay for except the Nexus 7 is as good as an iPad Mini for less money.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wray to take the post out of context and ignore my last paragraph soze.

I've had a phone 4, and played heavily with a 4s. The s3 is better specced and faster.

However, as others have said go to a shop and play with them all.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Wray to take the post out of context and ignore my last paragraph soze.

I've had a phone 4, and played heavily with a 4s. The s3 is better specced and faster.

However, as others have said go to a shop and play with them all.
I did not ignore the rest of your post I only quoted the part I disagreed with I think the OS makes a bigger difference than hardware so ignoring it is dangerous.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hardware specs side by side are NOT equal. Not by a long shot. Processor speeds are kind of irrelevant(ish) because iOS and Android work differently (basically Android needs more grunt to do the same job), and so the Hudl lacks RAM (a Nexus 7 has 2GB RAM to get similar performance benchmarks to a 1GB iPad Mini Retina), and the Hudl has a massively inferior screen (once again the Nexus is on par with the iPad), and is heavy and plasticky. I'd say you get what you pay for except the Nexus 7 is as good as an iPad Mini for less money.
My point was you can't just blindly pick the device with the big numbers. The Nexus has nothing to do with this as the Hudl already has bigger numbers in most areas.
iPad Hudl
Apple A5 (ARM Cortex-A9, dual-core). 1.5GHz quad-core A9 processor
PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual-core), Mali 400 GPU
7.9in (1024 x 768) 163ppi IPS display, 7in IPS display (1440 x 900, 243ppi)
512MB memory, 1GB Memory
16, 32 or 64GB flash storage, 16GB Storage microSD (up to 32GB)

But this is enough of a derailment all I wanted to say was high spec does not equals a good device.

DaGaffer

My point was you can't just blindly pick the device with the big numbers. The Nexus has nothing to do with this as the Hudl already has bigger numbers in most areas.
iPad Hudl
Apple A5 (ARM Cortex-A9, dual-core). 1.5GHz quad-core A9 processor
PowerVR SGX543MP2 (dual-core), Mali 400 GPU
7.9in (1024 x 768) 163ppi IPS display, 7in IPS display (1440 x 900, 243ppi)
512MB memory, 1GB Memory
16, 32 or 64GB flash storage, 16GB Storage microSD (up to 32GB)

But this is enough of a derailment all I wanted to say was high spec does not equals a good device.

It would if you were comparing, erm, Apples and Apples, but you were comparing Apples and Robots. You have to compare the specs that are comparable (e.g. screens and pixel density, battery life etc.) not the specs that aren't because the OS's use them differently. The Nexus comparison was there because its an example of how an Android device can compete perfectly well with an iPad for a lot less money, and I was comparing the top of the range iPad Mini as well, not the old one (and its not even a customisation thing, I've barely touched my Nexus 7 and its still better "out of the box" than an iPad Mini, especially now that Apple's Apps lead has been seriously dented).

Lethul

FH is my second home
8gb isn't enogh if you plan to install apps and put music on the phone.

The iphone is not expandable, the xperia sp is pretty crappy (Bodhi) will disagree. The s3 out of those for me, ignore the android / Ios debate, it's simply the better specced of the three and has expandable memory.

The thing is if you like your iphone and are used to it then you'll be happier with the 4s... but if you've currently got a 16gb or larger model then don't bother with this "upgrade".

Does spotify take up that much room? :eek:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Texting is a pile of shit. Apps have adverts. Apps don't do they things they should, such as notifications so you have to re-install the app. Oh and the app store is wank in comparison. Phone feels too light. Podcast apps are not as good as Apple's, also the fact songs wont play the next without inserting a short pause. Tried multiple music players, some paid for and it still occurs. Never had that problem on the iPhone.
Battery is nice though.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That all sounds like you simply can't use android tbh. The s4 isn't as nice as the s3 though imo.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Texting is a pile of shit. Apps have adverts. Apps don't do they things they should, such as notifications so you have to re-install the app. Oh and the app store is wank in comparison. Phone feels too light. Podcast apps are not as good as Apple's, also the fact songs wont play the next without inserting a short pause. Tried multiple music players, some paid for and it still occurs. Never had that problem on the iPhone.
Battery is nice though.
Podcast apps are fine. Apples actual podcast app is a complete piece of shit.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If your not paying for the app then it's bound to be supported by ads. Especially on andriod.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I've barely touched my Nexus 7 and its still better "out of the box" than an iPad Mini, especially now that Apple's Apps lead has been seriously dented).
You see this is where you are 100% wrong. Having owned both I can tell you out of the box the iPad is more usable faster and needs nothing done to tweak it!

Or it could be that I prefer iOS and you prefer Android. I have owned both btw and I would pick the iPad every time if I used my tablet more. And mentioning apps ForumRunner on Android is a abomination in terms of ease of use compared to iOS.

DaGaffer

You see this is where you are 100% wrong. Having owned both I can tell you out of the box the iPad is more usable faster and needs nothing done to tweak it!

Or it could be that I prefer iOS and you prefer Android. I have owned both btw and I would pick the iPad every time if I used my tablet more. And mentioning apps ForumRunner on Android is a abomination in terms of ease of use compared to iOS.

I'm sat at my desk right now with an iPad Mini Retina, a Galaxy Tab 2 (we use both for app testing) and my personal Nexus 7. My work phone is also an iPhone. I'm not anti-Apple or anything (I would not be Google's no.1 fan by a long shot) and the iPad has a lot to recommend it, but, when it came to spending my own money, it was a no-brainer; the Nexus 7 is maybe 95% as good as an iPad Mini for 60% of the price (and in all the performance benchmarks the Nexus is better apart from the screen being like 1dpi less). And in a couple of key areas (like video file format handling) Android is just better full stop.

NB. ForumRunner on KitKat is just as good as on iOS7 - in fact they're barely any different. To be honest the problem for ForumRunner now is that FH is more usable on the browser anyway. The only App I've had a problem with on KitKat so far is SoundCloud; it seems to have some kind of login handling problem.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Out of the 3 I would go for the S3, I have an S4 and really like it and fiddled with my mates S3 - I actually prefer the S3 for the feel but the S4 is faster and has a slightly better screen.

I want to drop kick my wife's Iphone every time she asks me to answer it for her or do something on it. She likes it though because she play candy crush saga. I am sure they are fine if you can learn to navigate the terrible UI.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Which is your opinion, and whilst you're entitled to it that is all it is. We have both at home, I much prefer the Nexus 7.

As for ForumRunner it's an abomination because it sold out to Internet Brands and they've done shit all with it since.

Poag

m00?
People use apps to browse FH?

But it renders perfectly on my large.....oh i seeeeee. Small screens ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Tbh I didn't use any forum apps on my "small" Galaxy S2 and on the Note 3... well, there's no need at all. :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Which is your opinion, and whilst you're entitled to it that is all it is. We have both at home, I much prefer the Nexus 7.

As for ForumRunner it's an abomination because it sold out to Internet Brands and they've done shit all with it since.
I know that it was my reply to someone giving their opinion. I have stated I don't have an iPad any more because of the value and how much I use my tablet. I hate these threads if you like Apple you get ganged up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom