A warning about Maxtor hard drives.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Did you actually read any of the detail about that WD issue or just the slashdot headlines? If the former, then what are you talking about? It's mostly irrelivant and functions fine for NAS via lan. If the latter, then go and read the detail.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I read all the details from the site I got it from - not from Slashdot though, think I'm one of the few techy minded folks that don't visit that site ;)
The site I read that wasn't one of my normal haunts, can't even remember which it is, but have just read up a fair bit on it courtesy of links from El Reg.

Apparently that's just limited to their own software "MioNet" which isn't entirely a file sharing or backup facility anyway so no real issue.
Therefore, my previous comments can be disregarded :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Whelp, my maxtor 320gb just got the click of death - I was going to send it off to them for a replacement (well within warranty) but I'm not sure it's worth it. Anyone know if the click of death means absolutely no way of recovering data (short of a DR company) or are there any tricks I can use to get it to work for another 5 minutes?

The annoying thing is I'm pretty sure there's nothing important on there, but I'd like one last shot to check..

Kryten

Old Cow.
Think I covered it in my original Maxtor thread - if you have the option/ability to (which you probably have if memory serves) another HDD and a Linux live distribution of choice will most likely work wonders. It takes less time than the hundreds of crap recovery programs around and you can pick and chose what you need rather than spending 25 hours of runtime recovering 3 windows temp files you dont want.

Simple reason being, Linux is better at reading Windows's file system than Windows is - and Linux isn't great at it ;) It just reads the files and directories in a different way, and isn't so stressful on the drive, and you should get what you need from that.

Personal preference for a liveCD/DVD is Ubuntu, as everything on my system "just fucking works" including wireless internet, full NTFS read/write support etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom