A warning about Maxtor hard drives.

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
Okay, you can take this with a pinch of salt if you want, many of you may have had different experiences, but this has got beyond a joke for me now. I just want to warn people against buying Maxtor hard drives.

Basically in the last 12 months I've had 5 out of 6 of my Maxtor drives at home fail, what's more it's not one particular model, I've lost:
- 2x 40gb IDE internal
- 1x 160gb external
- 1x 120gb SATA internal
- 1x 67gb IDE internal

Now, some might think it's something I'm doing wrong, hell it's even crossed my own mind, but note also that I have many more drives, seagate, IBM, western digital all operating under exactly the same conditions, none of which failing. What's more is that I've also seen quite a few Maxtors failing at work lately all within the first 12 months. Also, defending myself more as I know many would be quick to jump to Maxtor's defence if they've made the mistake of purchasing one of their drives I've been using PCs, self built systems for well over 10 years and have never once seen such a horrible failure rate from a specific brand of hardware. It did cross my mind that it's perhaps a temperature thing but it's been a generally cold year especially compared to last and it's only the Maxtor's failing so I personally think it's safe to rule that out.

Defending Maxtor I do have friends who haven't had many problems with them, but for me it's time to speak out, for me a failure rate of 83% - 5 out of 6 drives all within the first 12 months, and in fact 2 within the first 6 months is just not, under any circumstances acceptable.

What's more, I have to pay around £5 or more in courier costs if I want the drives replaced and to rub it in, the replacement drives are the same models and such meaning they're going to be prone to the exact same unrealiability and horrific failure rate.

As I say you can take my advice or leave it, but if you want to be cautious and don't want to fall victim to massive data loss as I have (funny part is, I had some of the data backed up on other drives, only to have those drives fail whilst I was awaiting replacements also meaning backups were **** all use) I'd avoid Maxtor drives at all costs. I certainly will never pay Maxtor another penny as the quality of their drives is atrocious and unacceptable. I'll certainly be writing to trading standards and such as well as writing a written complaint to Maxtor themselves seeking some compensation.

If you have a Maxtor drive, the best thing I personally think you can do right now is make sure any essential data is stored elsewhere, be it on CD, another non-Maxtor drive or whatever.

This isn't one of my usual wind people up threads, and it's certainly not an attempt at starting a who's the best hard drive manufacturer, it's just a friendly warning about the issues I've faced with Maxtor recently.

If you are looking for a new hard drive I've yet to have a problem with IBM/Hitachi, although I have known people who have had issues with them, as an alternative seagate is probably worth a look - they've just started releasing drives with a 5 year warranty, that must show some confidence in reliability about their drives so probably well worth a look, either way don't be tricked by Maxtor's speed at producing the largest drives and their cheap prices, it's not worth the loss and trouble in the long run.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I've had this very conversation with three friends in the last week, all of whom have or are having maxtor drive problems...

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Had that problem, bought a 160GB Maxtor 9 series HD to replace my seagate 60GB, started off fine then about 4 months down the line the hard drive failed, for no reason. So I did a low-level format and reinstalled everything, everything started off fine then it failed again like it couldn't read the HD so I slaved it to my Seagate and transferred all the essential data over to the seagate and repaired the maxtor drive by DL some tools from the website. But I have had problems since, every month or so I need to repair either the HD or the XP installation.

My friend had a maxtor drive and it didn't even work striaght out of the box, and has had several replacements all of which never worked so he bought a seagate instead and hasen't had a single problem since.

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
PLightstar said:
Had that problem, bought a 160GB Maxtor 9 series HD to replace my seagate 60GB, started off fine then about 4 months down the line the hard drive failed, for no reason. So I did a low-level format and reinstalled everything, everything started off fine then it failed again like it couldn't read the HD so I slaved it to my Seagate and transferred all the essential data over to the seagate and repaired the maxtor drive by DL some tools from the website. But I have had problems since, every month or so I need to repair either the HD or the XP installation.

My friend had a maxtor drive and it didn't even work striaght out of the box, and has had several replacements all of which never worked so he bought a seagate instead and hasen't had a single problem since.

Imo modern hard drives shouldn't be these days low level formatted. Low level formatting with manufacturer's own special piece of software is other thing tho. Did you use such? or did you by any change use for example feature in BIOS to low level format your drive?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
In all honesty a maxtor drive is the only disk I've ever had to arrive DOA. It was replaced and the four disk array functioned perfectly for many years. Other than that, I've never had a disk fail at home apart from a 2gb scsi one from quantum that was 6 years old iirc.

at work we have all kinds of disks from just about every vendor and they all fail now and then. the loads we put on them aren't anything like a home user can do so it's not really comparable tbh.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've also had a Maxtor 20 Gb which lasted a couple of years before it randomly made loud clicking noises (sounded like the drive was powering off and on again) and the performance died completely.

Changed it for a Western Digital.

G

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i used to have a maxtor 27gb drive that lasted me since 1999, and only recently upgraded to a maxtor 200gb hdd just hope i dont have any probs.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i've got a WD 120gb SATA, it was a little flakey at first, but 3 formats in days soon sorted it out and i haven't had a problem since

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Ixoth said:
Imo modern hard drives shouldn't be these days low level formatted. Low level formatting with manufacturer's own special piece of software is other thing tho. Did you use such? or did you by any change use for example feature in BIOS to low level format your drive?

I used Maxtor's own tools they recommended from their Support line.

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
Oh yeah, that's another thing, to return one of the drives I had to run Maxtor's diagnostic tools to get a code to enter into the site to allow me to continue to return the drive. Downloaded, ran the tool worked fine on one of the faulty drives, on another the code it gives is 00000000FFFFFFFF, now hex is fun and all but when the site only accepts 8 ASCII characters meaning I can't actually even return my faulty drive without chasing around Maxtor's telephone system it's slightly less amusing.

If they're going to insist you require a code from this program to return the drive, they could at least make sure the program actually works. I also tested this program with the same drive in a different machine to try and get the code. I can only guess it's kicking up this error a) because the drives royally screwed and can't return a proper error hence defying the point of the whole error code system or b) because the software is buggy and can't return a proper error code hence defying the point of the whole error code system.

Hmm... :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
I have a maxtor 30Gb drive, that I've had for a good number of years so far. No serious probs.

Are all these dodgy drives 5400rpm, or 7200+?

Methinks it may be the spin rate that's the cause.

Both my drives are 5400 - slightly slower, but more reliable and durable imo.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've had the following drives:

2x IBM 60GB
2x Maxtor 80Gb
2x Maxtor 160GB SATA
1x Maxtor 160GB
1x Maxtor 200GB
1x WD 200GB

and only the IBMs have ever failed.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
I had 4 maxtor ide drives fail on me. Even the bloody replacement for one failed. Gave up on them, pile of shit.
Currently using western digital without issue so far.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Luck of the draw. I've always used maxtor and only had one fail which there diagnostic software instantly diagnosed. Didn't think the £5 to RMA was too bad considering they sent me back a larger drive.

omg thanks so much for posting this.. my Maxtor has started making loud clicking noises like its losing power.. im now going to buy a new HD so i wont have to reformat for the 10th time this month.. i thought i was going mad!!

jesus.. co-incidentally its also a 60gb HD... go figure!! :clap:

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Western Digital for teh win!

Hard drive capcity has gotten bigger but the technology has stayed the same, no wonder they struggle sometimes, but yes, Maxtor do suck ass.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
had 2 Maxtor drives and they both failed. Ive been sticking with Seagate ever since with no problems.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I have been using Maxtor for many many years now without any problems.

If one fails it is just bad luck really...

I once had 5 fujitsu drives fail in 1 week at work. The other 700 are working fine :)

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
I've have been using my 120 GB maxtor now almost a year and no problems at all. Bit noisy it is tho, even its supposed to use some kind of liquid system.

With IBM Deskstar drives I have had problems. Wouldn't touch to IBM's drives even with 3 feet long pole tbh.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Falcon

That really is bad news. I work in I.T. and I am aware that certain independent stores sell some Maxtor drives as brand new. What they are in fact selling are warranty returns. Polished up and put in a very tight fitting bag to look brand new. If they work, you would never know the difference from that and a new one.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
heh that bites. I've seen a store once shelve returned parts. They'd part exchange them no questions asked, and then stick the returns back up for sale if the problem was "didn't work", not fire damage or something...under the reasoning that if it didn't work for person A, it may well work for person B.

not really my kind of thing tbh :/

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
I have had quite a few Maxtor drives... whilst not a single one of these has ever 'failed' and refused to work etc. 3 have had problems.

My 250GB SATA Maxtor was fine for a few months and then started to develop a few bad sectors... the main problem with this drive was that it would corrupt or screw files that were on it. For example an avi on the drive might become corrupted... you can play it fine but at a certain point in the video it'll stop and you have to restart the player and skip to just after that point... the file cannot be copied due to CRC errors and it's generally fcking annoying. When it was running my Windows install it kept forcing CHKDSK's on boot and frequently disappeared from all existance due to these problems occuring on the boot sector... I haven't been able to send it back yet as it's full of undeletable stuff... I have also been paranoid of the shop just formatting it low level and saying it's fine or not detecting this constant problem...

Anyway... my other drive was one of a pair of 80gb's 7200rpm eide's... they worked fine together for ages.. then one did this chkdsk data losing grief thing. My friends SCSI system failed so he copied all his stuff onto my 80gb drive.. then that evening my drive didn't show up as existing on my PC at all.. after lots of faffing with CHKDSK we got it back and everything was fine... copied stuff off and since then I have had problems with it corrupting files again... however the other identical model of that pair I still use and is in actual fact my most stable HDD I use currently.. (it better not break now I've said that).

Oh and my last drive problem just happened yesterday... booted PC and SMART said the primary master was status BAD... says backup/replace... after lots of cable fiddling and rebooting it eventually booted after hitting F1 and appears to be fine now.. still appears as bad... no corruption at all no bad sectors either.. only noticable thing is a few icons do not appear correctly in certain programs and on the start bar... no viruses on this machine at all either btw.

I also have a 27gb maxtor which I've had for around 6 years now and this has been spot on perfect... never screwed up never had a single problem with it.

To continue my above post about the 250GB... I actually bought a 200GB WD uber drive and began using that with the intention of copying the stuff over to this and sending the other one back.. and guess what happens?

The WD went complete clicky clicky fail... total fail.. lost everything irrecoverable and does not work at all in any way shape or form :p

So... I generally just hate hard drives and wish they would be a bit more stable in general...

Anyway.. never had a full Maxtor fail on me... which is more than I can say for WD so far :)

J

justkev

maxtor hard drive

my 300 gig maxtor secondry hard drive has killed itself at least 240 gig worth of film and music dowloads down the drain can i recover?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Strange, Maxtor used to be very good. I have a 20 gig maxtor drive on my smoothwall machine, which is on 24/7, and the drive itself is probably 8 years old now. Before it got relegated to the smoothwall it was in my main machine of the time, so it got a lot of heavy use, and its never had a problem.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've certainly posted before warning of Maxtor drives - they suffer from intermittant software caused power, electrical and mechanical failures.
My favourite one just causes the heads to "read" off the edge of the platter. That's a mechanical and software issue that really should never have the opportunity to happen, but it does with Maxtor.

Also worth noting is that Maxtor are (well, were) the only drive manufacturers to not provide a built in secure erasure method as per the ATA standards, to surely destroy data on a drive to US DoD standards. This is actually a requirement of the ATA standard apparently which in my eyes means that all Maxtor drives should not actually be labelled as ATA/ATA compatible :)

It's a good thing Seagate swallowed them, IMO. They were always a minority brand that should never really have made it this far, I'd have rather seen companies like Palladium and Quantum taken their place. But now I'm just showing my age ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
3 year old thread, maxtor probably have new models out now and any information here is out of date.

Kryten

Old Cow.
They do have newer models out, all of which are still prone to the same issues.
As a brand however, Maxtor are no more, no bad thing.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Just another two points, other than a recent virus appearing on a limited number of there external hard drives there is also a rather interesting issue with the recent external hard drives suffering power problems :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
And so it goes on ;)

Mind you, I'm not sure what's worse - this or that WD DRM issue :D
That, in my eyes, is just entirely laughable and I expect better from Western Digital. That's the sort of stroke I'd expect from the likes of Sony and Apple rather than bona-fide technology and storage experts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom