A small linux challenge

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
make uninstall 4 teh win!

Ok, back to the above :)

Will :twak: heh - I might have to reinstall actually as I've just found out that XP wasn't wiped on setup, unless I can easily remove it and resize the partition?

Xav
tbh i never resize stuff, so i wouldnt know.
You can just whipe the partition, format it and mount it as say /home or something like that

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, so now .mac and ICQ work, but not Yahoo or MSN still. Same error too, SSL support. I've got OpenSSL installed which it won't use, it seems to want Mozilla's SSL which was broken in Moz 1.5 <.

*sob*

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
right xavier i got my gaim working with msn, using the rpm from http://www.usr-local-bin.org/gaim.php (soz i am so late had to go to my female parental unit)
here is what i did

add
/opt/mozilla/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
run ldconfig
rpm -Uvh gaim-0.75-100.SuSE.ulb.3.i586.rpm
it listed a few missing pakages i just searced for them in yast software and installed em.
after that i ran
rpm -Uvh gaim-0.75-100.SuSE.ulb.3.i586.rpm
it installed and connected to msn no probs

:clap:

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Disaster!

Ugh, so I booted my laptop this morning to be met by the grub> prompt

I'm not sure what I've borked, but last night i did unmount the two windows volumes and combine them to a single partition - have I just fubared my install? Is it time to start over? :(

Xav

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Stick in boot disk (Knopix or any distro live CD will do. Ideally Knopix, 'cause it's class). Check that your linux stuff is all ok.

Mount up you base system: e.g.
Code:
mount /dev/ROOT /mnt/linroot
mount /dev/BOOT /mnt/linroot/boot (if you have a separate boot partition)
mount -t proc proc /mnt/linroot/proc
chroot /mnt/linroot
env-update
source /etc/profile (this may not work - it's copied from my gentoo routine)

Note that "BOOT" and "ROOT" refer to the relevent partitions of your system.

chroot means "Change Root" - basically, after you've mounted everything up it allows you to "move inside" your actual linux system. From here, you can then edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf config file (it's no more complex than boot.ini, frankly) and, if necessary, reinstall grub itself.

When you're done, type "Exit" (which undoes your chroot from earlier) and then reboot. Whip the CD out and cross your fingures :)

Can you tell that the above has been my only way of running Linux these past few weeks? ;)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
shovel, we went over all things via msn, didnt figure out what was going on so xavier started a fresh install :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Xavier said:
I'm *really* tempted to install anyhow, but knowing meh that will b0rk something, so I'm going to wait til you say yay/nay ;) and then blame TdC randomly when it all goes horribly wrong :D

Xav

heh, I'm used to that ;) have you managed to get things to work? like Will said, don't be afraid to break things! I must have installed linux hundreds of times over the years and I usually manage to bollix something or other (tends to be fonts more often than not ;))
I'm about so if needed I can render advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom