A small linux challenge

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
What's ndiswrapper?

Ultimately I just want to get 802.11b up and running - I'll google and see if i can ascertain the difference.

Xav

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
What's ndiswrapper?

Ultimately I just want to get 802.11b up and running - I'll google and see if i can ascertain the difference.

Xav
(I have no wifi equip so this is based on how things apear to me and not actual experiance)

ndiswrapper is basicly the same thing as linuxants but is free, downside seems to be that it is samewhat less mature and possible harder to install.

linkage : http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

(btw this is no longer "a small linux challenge" :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ooh, so do I get to quote you on that? heh.

I'll try the 30-day version then, hope there's a readme!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ugh, ok, so inside the tarball is an RPM, what handles these exactly?

And I've downloaded the dell driver, but it's in some kind of .exe archive... is there some kind of winrar-esque 1-stop-shop for decompressing all manner of files under suse?

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
"rpm -i driverloader-{version}.{arch}.rpm"
should install the rpm as for what to do with the .exe, yes you can i believe but I dont remember how, and going home from work now :)

lets hope TdC gets on :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Code:
linux:~/driverloader-1 # rpm -i driverloader-1.62_k2.4.21_166_default-1suse.i586 .rpm
 warning: driverloader-1.62_k2.4.21_166_default-1suse.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature:  NOKEY, key ID 5dfbf7dc
 Linuxant DriverLoader for Wireless LAN devices, version 1.62

Pre-built driver modules that seem compatible with your system were found under
 /usr/lib/driverloader/modules/binaries/i686/suse/linux-2.4.21-166-default.

:eek7:

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Aye,

I'm lost as to how to get this wrapper installed, and now I'm having problems installing GAIM. I got GAIM installed to version 0.75 but now I'm told I need to install SSL support, and the FAQ on the GAIM site doesn't really help :(

I don't specifically need GAIM, just some kind of working MSN client, and GAIM seems a good choice as I'd use my other messaging accounts too... Are there any better alternatives?

If I can get the wrapper going, and use my WiFi I can get away from my desk too, which would be 'teh win'.

Xav

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
if you go into the yast -> software -> search kompete, thats a kde msn client

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I went with Gnome in the end on install, found out how to get it and much prefer it to KDE.

Kompete isn't available for Gnome is it?

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
newlist.png

It even handles buddy icons in the contact list. Surely there's some way to just fix SSL? :(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
newlist.png

It even handles buddy icons in the contact list. Surely there's some way to just fix SSL? :(
I'll snoop it out for you tomorow, noz i want my daily dose of game time

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, I've got GAIM 0.75 installed, but it clearly won't play ball with msn. On the gaim site I've found links to a 3rd party RPM of 0.72 which will apparently do the job, but I tried to rpm -i it and just get a job load of conflict errors.

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica][size=-1] SuSE (9.0) [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica][size=-1] There's a 3rd party RPM for SuSE 9.0 here : http://www.usr-local-bin.org/gaim.php You may need to put /opt/mozilla/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf (and run ldconfig as root)

[/size][/font]

What does the last line mean exactly? </noob>

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
iirc ldconfig loads all libraries (dll's) that are in your library path

the reference "putting /opt/mozilla/lib in ld.so.conf" means adding mozilla's libraries to the path.

I believe you get conflict errors because you already have a GAIM version installed. you'll have to get rid of that first. man rpm will tell you the switch to remove packages. I don't know off the top of my head, sorry.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'm giving up for tonight, I've made progress but none of it entirely positive, Round Three begins tomorrow.

Xav

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Gosh your just like me Xavier. Except ive have many different Linux setups, however after 20 mins of use I give up and go back to Windows. P.S dont let TDC on your PC, he gets a kick out of ejecting the coffee cup holder :)
Im too lazy to go back to basics I guess.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
]SK[ said:
Gosh your just like me Xavier. Except ive have many different Linux setups, however after 20 mins of use I give up and go back to Windows. P.S dont let TDC on your PC, he gets a kick out of ejecting the coffee cup holder :)
Im too lazy to go back to basics I guess.
hey hey dont discurage him, he kept me busy at work for 2 days now.
I couldnt return to just doing nothing all day

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
sibanac said:
As for gaim try downloading the source from

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim/gaim-0.75.tar.gz?download

tar -xvzf gaim-0.75.tar.gz
cd gaim-0.75
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome2
make
su
make install

that should compile and do the trick
Gaim will be installed in /opt/gnome2/bin.
Warning: You have an old copy of gaim at /usr/local/bin/gaim.

Can I just delete the old copy of GAIM or should I uninstall it somehow?

Xav

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
if you didnt install gaim manualy just go into yast 2 software and set gaim to delete there

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, will it matter that the version installed by YAST2 was 0.67 and I updated it to 0.75? :)

*crosses fingers and hopes not*

*uninstalls*

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I uninstalled it via YAST2 but still get the above message.

:(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
right thats because of the update, did you install it from rpm ?

rpm -e <package_file>

should remove it in that case,

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
no, i installed it from teh tarball but without the prefix you've shown above... :(

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'm *really* tempted to install anyhow, but knowing meh that will b0rk something, so I'm going to wait til you say yay/nay ;) and then blame TdC randomly when it all goes horribly wrong :D

Xav

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
if you still have the original install dir try a 'make unintall' if that doesnt work just install it anyway but just delete the already installed files first

Will

/bin/su
What's the worst thing that could happen? You have to reinstall a three day old install? Don't be afraid to break it. ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
make uninstall 4 teh win!

Ok, back to the above :)

Will :twak: heh - I might have to reinstall actually as I've just found out that XP wasn't wiped on setup, unless I can easily remove it and resize the partition?

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
As to the wireless, I went the linuxant way, now have it installed and configured with a new wlan0 interface, however i need to use something called xsupplicant for WEP, and I *really* am confuddled by it. So far I've tried reading the documentation through and it doesn't specifically mention WEP, has anyone else ever used it?

Xav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom