A quick look at the numbers....

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
tbh if you take 3fg vs 3fg the side with more "skill" by your definition will win ;)

If you found a "zerg" that worked together it'd probably take a lot more skill for them to work together effectively than a fg with nice easy targetting abilities (group window)

Now if it's 3fg vs 2 then obviously there's really not a lot of skill involved - same way as when it's 8fg vs 1fg but the same can be said about 8vs1 - a fg flattening a soloer doesn't show much skill.

That said when it gets to 30fg vs 30fg it's usually the side with more aoe nukers with fast computers ;) When fps drops below anything usable then it's pretty hard to apply any skill.

When it comes to RvR (i.e. taking keeps and relics) it's all about morale, organisation and strategy, all three of things take different skills from different people - not the same skills as used by the 1fg gankers.

fungus

Fledgling Freddie
Its just a matter of time before hib prydwen will loose their relics ... if Alb prydwen is really serious they will outnumber us, and get all relics, no doubt about that. Problem with Albs on prydwen is they aint very united atm but last night we have seen it is changing and they start to realize how powerfull numbers can be.

Overpowered

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
What they can't do is blame the alb numbers for them choosing not to log in - the numbers were even up to a couple of weeks ago and there was no problem in numbers for Mids.
The first days Midgard managed to mass good numbers, even able to fight the Alb zerg. Something u saw on /rw. Took less then a week and the forces where halved though. Guess alot of ppl though "Yep, NF sucks" /quit.
So after the first week I blame Alb numbers.. I went back to prydwen for more balanced RvR a couple of days after getting outzerged 2 to 1 at pow relic shrine.. a final relicdefence = Everyone come.. still we got outnumbered horribly, meaning there aint any hope for excal unless 1/3 of the albs decide to go play on Pryd or switch realms.. neither seem likely..

Bracken: Its more about knowledge of the game and priorities, making the right decisons is shortest time, then physical skills. Problem with having supreme stats over your enemy is that u can make a serie of wrong decisions and still win. The diffrence between "not maxed" gear and "maxed" gear was not so big in SI, while in ToA it got huge. Thats why I said skill mattered more in SI.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Overpowered said:
The first days Midgard managed to mass good numbers, even able to fight the Alb zerg. Something u saw on /rw. Took less then a week and the forces where halved though. Guess alot of ppl though "Yep, NF sucks" /quit.
So after the first week I blame Alb numbers.. I went back to prydwen for more balanced RvR a couple of days after getting outzerged 2 to 1 at pow relic shrine.. a final relicdefence = Everyone come.. still we got outnumbered horribly, meaning there aint any hope for excal unless 1/3 of the albs decide to go play on Pryd or switch realms.. neither seem likely..

Bracken: Its more about knowledge of the game and priorities, making the right decisons is shortest time, then physical skills. Problem with having supreme stats over your enemy is that u can make a serie of wrong decisions and still win. The diffrence between "not maxed" gear and "maxed" gear was not so big in SI, while in ToA it got huge. Thats why I said skill mattered more in SI.

What you forget is that "less than a week" period coincided with losing strength relics. If I was a mid I would be pissed at the glory hunters (which isn't all of them ofc ;)) who only play when you got the relics :p

Fair comment on TOA making the difference even greater. :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Tsolias said:
I think this guy "plays" w/ himself 2 much Oo....dude ur gonna kill all ur braincells at the end !
It's beer that kills braincells. "Playing" is quite beneficial and can lower cancer risk. ;)

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
I logged into Excal last night on way in viewed total numbers on Excal 1698. got to hib did /who all was 237 hibs in total on

1698-237 = 1461 so thats either 700+ albs and mids or like 900 albs and 500 mids.

Hmmm poor hibies but with those numbers i like to think we still have a chance hehe i can dream.. But we are doing well with only 200+ hibs online must admit and yep I do enjoy NF just shame the unbalance sucks a little.

nOmoreCOAL

Fledgling Freddie
Check this numbers out...
Duskwave works after a while n here r the figures...

last week's top in rp all exca server
55/100 albs 23/100 mids 22/hibs
14 scouts 1 hunter 7 rangers

30/100 stealthers
21/100 albs 2/100 mids 7/100 hibs

last week's top in rp alb exca server
30/100 scouts 15/100 infs 7/100 mins 52/100 stealthers

mid exca server
13/100 hunters 8/100 sbs 21/100 steathers

hib exca server
27/100 rangers 4/100 ns 31/100 stealthers

skill , roleplay , numbers or maybe, just maybe some classes r overpowered ??

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
Problem is defining what "skill" is. Often people only consider "twitchy" skills that are required in action games, but forget other types of skill.

Basically the more important stats/gears and the higher the player numbers, the less important individual skill becomes.

Mistake 1 : One of the most popular additions to DAoC has been the Battlegrounds. But frankly Mythic should have more tried to make stats/gear relatively unimportant and give lowbies a chance in RvR instead of turning Frontier RvR into the playground of the "lvl 50 elite", which after a while became the "lvl 50 with SCed gear elite", only to be turned into the "lvl 50 with SCed gear and ToA items and lvls elite" the next expansion.

Mistake 2 : Lots of people prefer keep warfare and big fights above the OF FGvsFG RvR. So Mythic apparently concluded that shifting RvR more towards keeps and big fights would be beneficial and more according to their "vision".
What they forget is that the "keep sieges" crowd are generally more casual RvRers who are more into PvE, while the typical FGvsFG RvRers are the hardcore ("l33t") players. Many of the latter have now quit and probably (and I believe already) many of the more casual "siegers" are back to their PvE. Result : RvR activity decreased instead of being invigorated. Allround population further eroded instead of boosted.

BTW, I haven't really played in a while now. But didn't peaktime population used to be way over 2000 players ? If it's like 1600 now, Excalibur most have lost up to 1/3 of it's players the past year ... Excalibur still has a healthy population but I can imagine Prydwen getting into serious problems if this goes down for another year ...

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Abel said:
other types of skill.

If you regard basic teamwork, experience and time/will to get maximised items as skill then yes you are right. Personally I don't - though that's not to say they aren't good qualities. RvR isn't hardcore PvP - it's very much carebear pvp when compared with the daddy of them all (UO felucca). Doesn't mean to say there isn't hardcore RvR (i.e. people/groups who take it very seriously) - but don't confuse that with it being serious PvP. ;)

nOmoreCOAL

Fledgling Freddie
Abel said:
Problem is defining what "skill" is. Often people only consider "twitchy" skills that are required in action games, but forget other types of skill.

Bracken said:
If you regard basic teamwork, experience and time/will to get maximised items as skill then yes you are right. Personally I don't - though that's not to say they aren't good qualities. RvR isn't hardcore PvP - it's very much carebear pvp when compared with the daddy of them all (UO felucca). Doesn't mean to say there isn't hardcore RvR (i.e. people/groups who take it very seriously) - but don't confuse that with it being serious PvP. ;)

What's all this about skill ????

Last week's top 100 in rps show 1 thing only that albs r more n they choose 2 play classes which r operpowered compared 2 the classes of the other realms.

There r times when alb stealthers r more than other chars in play
Btw after albs havin 3 str relics is an alb stealth grp w minstrels infs n scouts better than an actual fg ?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Killrake said:
How many savages do u see out in RvR? FoM for example have 6 savages the highest is rr2, noone is active in RvR.

look at this, savages is very usefull in RvR in NF.....not

http://www.duskwave.com/daoc/classrank.php?server=Excalibur&realm=&order=lastweek&class=Savage
Ah but the era of the savage ended with NF. So your argument that current savage levels are low is invalid.

Last week's top 100 in rps show 1 thing only that albs r more n they choose 2 play classes which r operpowered compared 2 the classes of the other realms.
If I'm reading right (and your text is VERY hard to read)... Last week RPs don't mean anything to do with power of classes. All it shows is what classes people play most in RvR. There may be a general trend for powerful classes to show up because people prefer playing them, but it's not conclusive evidence.

BTW, I haven't really played in a while now. But didn't peaktime population used to be way over 2000 players ? If it's like 1600 now, Excalibur most have lost up to 1/3 of it's players the past year ... Excalibur still has a healthy population but I can imagine Prydwen getting into serious problems if this goes down for another year ...
Checking this graph indicates tht excalibur population has fallen off by between 10 and 20%. But whether this is just a blip or a continued trend remains to be seen.

Overpowered

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
What you forget is that "less than a week" period coincided with losing strength relics. If I was a mid I would be pissed at the glory hunters (which isn't all of them ofc ;)) who only play when you got the relics :p
Mid/excal hardly had population decrease in OF when losing relics. Maybe ppl got more active on the PvE front, but not many left the realm itself.
In the beginning of NF Mid/excal had the numbers and organisation to still be fighting over control of the server, but if you look at population stats for all realms over time you will see that all realms got a mayor population boost before and shortly after NFs arrival... then ppl started leaving again. (Cant see marks of any specific raid on the stats though)
Mid/excals pop now is below the pre NF population and still shrinking, while Alb pop is increasing slightly it seems.. having weakest keepwar/zerglingclasses and getting outzerged at every point doesnt help on server balance..
(Albion closing in on the 50% of the active population mark now btw.. 46%)

Calo

Part of the furniture
nOmoreCOAL said:
Check this numbers out...
Duskwave works after a while n here r the figures...

last week's top in rp all exca server
55/100 albs 23/100 mids 22/hibs
14 scouts 1 hunter 7 rangers

30/100 stealthers
21/100 albs 2/100 mids 7/100 hibs

last week's top in rp alb exca server
30/100 scouts 15/100 infs 7/100 mins 52/100 stealthers

mid exca server
13/100 hunters 8/100 sbs 21/100 steathers

hib exca server
27/100 rangers 4/100 ns 31/100 stealthers

skill , roleplay , numbers or maybe, just maybe some classes r overpowered ??

Look at the numbers and learn, plz!

vintervargen

Banned
[21:24] <vintervargen> 302 hibs non-anon atm
[21:24] <vintervargen> can anyone check mids and albs please?
[21:24] <maji> 424 mids
[21:26] <mirathii> 629 alb
[21:26] <helme> ./who 50 then?
[21:26] <mirathii> 340 albs
[21:27] <vintervargen> 161 50 hibs
[21:27] <maji> 208 for mid

:E

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Tigersans said:
I logged into Excal last night on way in viewed total numbers on Excal 1698. got to hib did /who all was 237 hibs in total on

1698-237 = 1461 so thats either 700+ albs and mids or like 900 albs and 500 mids.

Hmmm poor hibies but with those numbers i like to think we still have a chance hehe i can dream.. But we are doing well with only 200+ hibs online must admit and yep I do enjoy NF just shame the unbalance sucks a little.

Well thats not really very accurate, ur not taking into accounts Anon's which means ur figures are atleast 300 people off.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Vinter's numbers in a nice table with percentages:
Code:
          Total        L50
Albion      629 (46%)  340 (48%)
Midgard     424 (31%)  208 (29%)
Hibernia    302 (22%)  161 (23%)

Total      1355        709

Almost 50%, go Albs! :p

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
vintervargen said:
[21:24] <vintervargen> 302 hibs non-anon atm
[21:24] <vintervargen> can anyone check mids and albs please?
[21:24] <maji> 424 mids
[21:26] <mirathii> 629 alb
[21:26] <helme> ./who 50 then?
[21:26] <mirathii> 340 albs
[21:27] <vintervargen> 161 50 hibs
[21:27] <maji> 208 for mid

:E

so basically roughly 50% of the realms population is at level 50 5 ye i know not exact but seems pretty close. there are more lvl50 albs online than there is in the whole hib population. the diffrence between mid and hib is actual very small, with mid having only 20% more lvl50's on. while alb has over twice as many as hibs and nearly that with mids.

Basically this shows a huge population inbalance with albs being able to zerg any target they wish. thus any rvr achievement shuld really be attributed to a population inbalance rather than any Enlightenment of Alb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom