A Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Reposting this post by Methos as it was kinda buried deep in that thread.
(it's an admission not an accusation - don't bother posting "wtf isn't XXX banned yet"? in this thread or you'll feel the wrath of my mod stick)

I'm not trying to single out Starquake here, but he's one of the few people to have publicly admitted post-ban that he's been banned and I think some people need some concrete proof that radar users are being actively hunted down and banned.

So if you're thinking "everyone is using it so should I" - don't, it's your account on the line. It's a permanent ban for using radar, no two week warning (that was a one-off just after NF)

Methos said:
You won't be seeing Starquake anytime soon anymore since he got banned for radaring tonight. He posted he got banned on our guildforum so it's not a secret either.
Starquake was a high profile guildplayer and one of the senior officers of the guild and as one of the GM's of The Ministry i apologise to anyone in all 3 realms that were affected by this unfair play.

We do not support/approve cheating in any form.

On a personal note: i'm disappointed. he was a very good player and an asset to the guild. According to his own post he had only been using radar for the past few weeks and had been caught already, so this wasn't a long term thing.

At least i can rest assured now that enemy groups will miss their own cheaters too.

Methos

Loyal Freddie
I'll repost some bits from the guildforum on this thread as well then, since that gives a more complete picture.
Starquake said:
I take full responsibility for my actions and had no intention of bringing TM into disrepute, but was largely motivated by the ganking we was getting from radar using XXXXXXX. I can also tell you that a lot of them are, it's very obvious when you use it to spot the others using it. Ban all users of it.

No two week ban afaik, if it was, I doubt I'd be back anyway.

Starquake said:
Not sure how people get caught / get away with it, but they knew the dates I started so it must log something somewhere. Whisked off to Castle Excalibur for a telling off I was. Should have screen shotted it lol.

Starquake said:
I don't recommend you use it though

Lets try to stay civilised in this thread.

What happened here was that Starquake was tempted by the snowballing effect of 'they use it so i'm gonna too'.

The fact is that TM has taken a break from rvr the past months for a couple of reasons, one of them was that we got very very tired of being the victim of unfair gameplay. After we started this break Starquake went to solo a lot in RvR, and he started radaring himself, which is inexcusable.

A side effect of this was that he could easily spot enemies or enemy groups playing with radar as well. When i get the details from him about these persons/groups/guilds i'll be sure to pass them on with Rightnow.

The 'If you can't beat them, join them' seems to result in joining GOA's banned list, which puts my mind more at ease.

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
just because you lose to another group in RvR doesnt mean they are cheaters

look at the groups that will typically finish off a PuG in seconds: they are high RR, all high ML, have perfect templates, play in an optimal setup, play with the same people, etc... Ofc you can now question if this is fair towards the casual player who practically cannot do much against those groups in equal numbers but to assume the gank groups need to cheat to win is stupid. And justifying using radar because you "think" someone else uses it is even more stupid.

Apart from that I hope that the ban will be permanent. The message is out long enough and if there is hard evidence against a player using radar there is only one solution: a permanent ban.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:
Apart from that I hope that the ban will be permanent. The message is out long enough and if there is hard evidence against a player using radar there is only one solution: a permanent ban.

All radar bans are now permanent, including Starquake.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I think the justification behind the 2 week warning shot was that radar detection was so difficult pre-NF that it was effectively "letting people away with it" and that a warning was justified.

I'd have preferred an outright ban to be honest ;)

The US servers did a 1 day 1 week 2weeks, slap on the wrist, note to your mother and then finally a ban... so it could be worse.

elbeek

Part of the furniture
Let us hope that there is another full on sweep of cheating gits then. On a side note, very saddened to hear that Starquake decided to cheat.

Methos you deserve credit for not trying to hide this away.

Milky

Fledgling Freddie
elbeek said:
Let us hope that there is another full on sweep of cheating gits then. On a side note, very saddened to hear that Starquake decided to cheat.

Methos you deserve credit for not trying to hide this away.

Agree, even though I think we all learned a valuable lesson from a guild with someone who's not admitted anything publicly so don't post it here
Methos did a wise thing :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
vintervargen said:
see, whine helps.

from 2 week to permanent because of us 'whiners'.

eat that, mods.

erm, it was always permanent except for the one "holiday" before christmas. So your whine did nothing.

starquake

Fledgling Freddie
May as well make a posting.

I enjoyed DAOC over the passed 3 years, silly of me to be tempted to use radar over the past few weeks (and only the past few weeks). Quite a nice little programme it is too :) <edit: name of program removed>. If you get whisked away to Castle Excalibur (or your realms equivalent) then you know whats coming.

It is quite obvious that there is a lot of radar abusers out there, you just need radar to see it. I'm not going to name / accuse others, cos thats just not how I am.

People who have been let off in the past - consider yourself lucky. I actually went ahead to use it assuming the worst I would get for first offence was a two week ban (like previous abusers), nevermind eh?

I'm not proud of being banned, but equally it is just a game, and one that was taking more time up then was good for me, in fact it's certainly one way of giving it up (something I had tried twice previously). I'm not going to cry in my pint about it (now if someone took my pint away that might be another issue. :cheers:). To listen (read?) to some of you you'd think I'd been having an affair with your Gran or something.

And before I get a load of self righteous dogooders saying good riddance etc (whom no doubt all lead a blameless life). At least I admit what I did.

Good luck :flame:

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it's good to see that cheaters get caught, cuz it's easy to think, xxxx they got me again, how did they find me there, they must be radaring, and not getting caugt, I'm gonna try it too, seeing as they don't get caught.
I just hope they get them all.

majik

Banned
vintervargen said:
see, whine helps.

from 2 week to permanent because of us 'whiners'.

eat that, mods.

I declare to sign up on the revolution of whine.

Methos

Loyal Freddie
Garbannoch said:
just because you lose to another group in RvR doesnt mean they are cheaters

No, but if Starquake uses radar himself and sees enemy groups homing in on him from far outside clip range, he knows the score. And that's exactly what he has confirmed.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Methos said:
No, but if Starquake uses radar himself and sees enemy groups homing in on him from far outside clip range, he knows the score. And that's exactly what he has confirmed.

Indeed. My reaver who was idling abit on a pretty silly spot to check got later on ganked by a FG Mids at the very spot. Was not past a normal travelling router.

I play too little Excalibur to start pointing fingers; but if 'they' would catch me too often I would get some serious questions about 'them'.

starquake

Fledgling Freddie
Methos said:

Indeed.

Marc

FH is my second home
Starquake :( now i know you didnt use radar in OF as why would you need radar to camp mmg in HW :)

illu

Part of the furniture
:eek6: :eek7: Starquake BAST The Ministry 50 3,970,289
Shit man, a lot of playing time down the pan there :/ It was a bit of an extreme measure to cure your addiction - eh?!

Well, I'll miss your massive chicken kicking my arse, and I don't think I ever got to kill you in the end :/

Oli - Illu

Milky

Fledgling Freddie
starquake said:
And before I get a load of self righteous dogooders saying good riddance etc (whom no doubt all lead a blameless life). At least I admit what I did.

Good luck :flame:

You started admitting after you got caught, that's really not something to be proud of.

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
stop posting under milky her name sollers it makes u look transsexual! :(

and anyway well he admit it even after he got busted ;p not like some other ppl T_T

majik

Banned
Milky said:
You started admitting after you got caught, that's really not something to be proud of.

If he admitted it before he was caught, that'd mean he would get caught. I fail to see the point. There is no honour is using radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom