MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, I'm great, but there is no solution :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Loxleyhood said:
Please, think outside of DAoC here, I meant this as an idea for all forums. It main issue as Damini mentioned is that a lot of serious stuff goes under the Mod's radar.
But there isn't the slightest need for it anywhere else. That's the problem the DAOC community has facing it - no matter now small they claim the number is, it's members of their community that is at the centre of this tension. Yes, there are generalites who don't help matters, but if this thread is offering a solution to something the DAOC has a problem with, please don't pretend that it's anything else.

And, to be honest, I really don't see why anything more than what Tom said (twat, warn, twat, ban) is needed? Surely you enforce it and no more issue? Either the community grows up and the problem ceases, or the entire community gets banned and the problem ceases. If you need more moderators to do that, then so be it, but anything less than that just sounds like leniency.

I know I don't play/post in DAOC - so if it really is rocket science then please explain to me why you need something so complex?

Damini

Part of the furniture
Ok, the reason I think having someone in each DAoC community who can create polls and make stickies is a good idea is for the following reasons:

Each sub forum in DAoC is a mini community, and they each have in game leaders that organise raids, and so on. Stickies are regularly requested to highlight housing issues, current problems with patching, raid times, known bugs, lotterys and so on... If someone was elected within each community to do this then it would cut down a lot of work for the moderators, and allow communities to organise as and when they wanted (instead of having to PM someone, or more annoyingly use the report post option, which should only be used for just that). The same applies for polls - when do you want this raid, what do you think on this issue... These aren't demands regularly made on any other forum, but they are regularly in demand in the DAoC forums.

If there was a person elected to do this, then I suppose they could also be a spokesperson for each community. I think people have taken this EnE idea to dizzying heights of responsibility, authority and shiny badges though. All it was ever intended to be was someone to liase with the mods every now and then and raise concerns if any exist. It was an idea that came at a time when there was A LOT of unease and upset in the community, but quite honestly I don't see that climate anymore, so I don't really see the need for the EnE in that role, especially if people are going to interpret it as mini mods.

The DAoC forums do have some slightly different CoC/etiquette demands to other gaming communities/sub forums in here. Anyone who remembers Sar being lynched for a misplaced c***'age when they moved over originally will understand that. If they want to draw up their own newby guide (like the one we once had... who did that? Where did it go?) I can't see the harm in it, but I think writing up a seperate CoC for DAoC would be daft.

Anyway, that's it.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
What we need to see is the silly idiots in daoc stopped and the majority, the ok ones left to whatever floats there boat. I think that the daoc community should accept that people who act like twats are going to be banned. Unfortunatly for the more junior daoc players, the definition of this behaviour is from an adult point of view. There is no need for a EE or a seperate coc, just the word needs to be spread to all the daoc players that there is a certain level of behaviour that is expected.

I definatly think it would be a good idea for the daoc community to write a 'newbie' guide, or just a 'guide to using freddyshouse'.

I know theres bad blood between some daoc forumites and people who post in general but if people behave sensibly then we should all get along fine.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Here here (or hear hear, whatever is what). Treat their forums the same as every other forum, obviously if you misbehave (spam/constantly being twatty/et al) then get banned/suspended, just like every other forum.

But then, I probably need to read the DAoC forums to realise how severe you lot have it to request stuff like in this thread. Maybe.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If people want polls, or want to create stickies, then why do you need a person who has that authority, and only that authority? Why not just pm a DaoC mod, and do it that way?

I would like the authority to create a poll in the Films subforum, something along the lines of 'Is the overrated classics thread full of stupid comments?' would be fine for me. :D

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Damini said:
I think writing up a seperate CoC for DAoC would be daft.
Be downright out of order tbh, so I doubt highly that Ted would approve.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Even if you scratch the mini-CoC the rest is still good stuff. If you all believe that this would only suit the DAoC forums I don't quite see why you are still in this discussion.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think it would suit any forum, that's why. Stop trying to tell people to leave the thread, this is the feedback forum ffs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If we all cast our minds back to the BW forums for a minute.

Mods for sub forums were the actual game liaisons /admins for that game. They did evertyhing that it is being proposed an E&E would do. I don't see why this is a bad thing. Daoc is the only game on this forum with hugely active servers that the people who post ehre use together. As such they are the only forum/game that needs an e&e. Until such a time when FH hosts, or is donated/sponsers servers for other games, there is very little need for a e&e anywhere else.

So its not a foreign concept, it was already in action at BW for other games. It was the sheer scale of daoc that meant the mods there couldnt do this ( I assume).

The only problem I see here is, the person would have to have a good relationship with the FH mods, they would need to be respected by their community while still being ready to chuck trouble makers to the mods. I think that this might make the person very hated within their community, no matter how much good they do.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Damini said:
Ok, the reason I think having someone in each DAoC community who can create polls and make stickies is a good idea is for the following reasons:

<Snip>

Ah, I see. I thint the thread is talking about n billion variations too, but having people who can do that seems fair enough for any large forum. Which is good.

There's a risk of favouritism involved on the part of the EE/Liason but they'd be easily retributed for that and the status within the community would suffer, so there's no risk of corruption.

My reservation would be toward the feedback idea, since that does open the way for a lot of bias and that is problematic and could surely split communities?
My view would be that having 'Forum Cleaners' with sticky and poll powers is good, but moderation should be left to moderators. If the "report post" function needs to be improved to do this, then maybe that's something that has to be taken on in the interests of this and any future large sub communities.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
Mods for sub forums were the actual game liaisons /admins for that game. They did evertyhing that it is being proposed an E&E would do. I don't see why this is a bad thing.
So its not a foreign concept, it was already in action at BW for other games. It was the sheer scale of daoc that meant the mods there couldnt do this ( I assume).

one thing though daoc has its own mods. They are in a way still our E&E and as such I dont trully see the need for a sub forum specific ones.

If you have a big community on a forum (like FH general and daoc forums) then you need mods that come from that background as they know the posters better and know how to handle them (different communities might need different approach to the same CoC). Anyway DAOC has those, off course it isnt for every little community on its own, but I dont think any of the daoc mods has trouble understanding posts and (atleast most of the time) how to handle posters who are violating the CoC in some way.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Bleh.

Can't you stop post-farming, even if it is to RP farm?

:|

Sar

Part of the furniture
You must be a woman then - men are shit at multi-tasking.

Or so my wife keeps telling me, while making the dinner and looking after our 5 year old.

:/

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
It's all lies, I mean, you think about sex and beer at the same time, right?

Sar

Part of the furniture
No, I devote quality thinking time to both individually.

Then I spend even more quality time doing both individually.

:D

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
I'm just throwing ideas around here, but maybe if E&E were given the ability to give people bad rep? May work as a diet version of moderating. Don't flame, just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom