Rant 3d tv

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Not exactly, there has been a few complaints about them pegging back the bitstream / quality on certain programmes. Personally, Life on my 52" Sony looked absolutely immense and I couldn't complain one jot.

Life did look pretty amazing yeah, didn't notice any change in quality.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Am blind in one eye, have been since birth. With the glasses i just get a red or blue tinted crapy picture. No 3d tv for me. .)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
From what I've read they changed to a better encoder so they could lower the bit rate without badgering the quality.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
If HD TVs aren't selling, 3D ones are going to sit on the shelves for millennia.

Re: HDTV, I personally don't see the point in broadcast TV in HD, films are stuff are aces, but for most TV shows it'll be pointless (except things like 24 or anything else with explosions)

i dont see a point in it at all.

i still have a 10 year old "fatty" tv and it works perfectly fine :)

rynnor

Rockhound
i dont see a point in it at all.

i still have a 10 year old "fatty" tv and it works perfectly fine :)

The space saving from a large lcd screen is pretty handy and on a more practical level they are a darn sight lighter and easier to carry.

I bought one because the scart socket had basically gone on my old fat tv - otherwise its not particularly worthwhile.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Am blind in one eye, have been since birth. With the glasses i just get a red or blue tinted crapy picture. No 3d tv for me. .)

Sorry to hear about that. Just out of morbid curiosity, what kind of effect does having sight in one eye have on your life?

Feel free to ask me to mind my own business if its a silly question.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Sorry to hear about that. Just out of morbid curiosity, what kind of effect does having sight in one eye have on your life?

Feel free to ask me to mind my own business if its a silly question.

Don't be sorry, am not. And as to effects, if am honest, apart from the ribbing as a child from ppl around you I guess none. Having known no difference its not something I worried about. Saying that, I can't play bat and ball games, can't hit that ball and teaching myself to catch a ball was hard. Trying to judge distences was total guess work :) But i robe bikes in a dangerous manner, ran, had fights, drank beer in dark parks and all the stuff you do as a youngster. I drive, so I supose the only difference for me would be I move my head more. But then I also tend to favour leaning my head more left then others to centralise my right eye (blind in left).

It could effect the types of work I can do, but I became a Blacksmith when I left school and that requires a good eye, which i had :) Now am an IT engineer and thats not realy something you need 2 eyes for.

Thinking back (first time i've actualy thought about it in years.) the only time i can recall it being an issue was in the eighties. They were first show caseing 3D tv and they were giving away 3d glasses in cereal packets. The family were sitting round the TV with the glasses on watching it and me and my dad (<3) were playing cards. He was blind in one eye to. Other then that I can't recall any other time that its bothered me.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
They changed their equipment, and some people made a hoo hah over it. I haven't noticed any difference in quality, and I use bbc HD a lot.

The BBC have been claiming that the new reduced service is just as good thanks to new encoders. It's certainly a noticeable difference to be honest, they've gone from 16Mbit to 9.7Mbit - quite a drop.

It's still HD, but the quality just isn't quite as amazing as it was before.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I personally think what's driven the sale of HD TV's has been the gaming industry and the consoles. I believe it'll be the same scenario here, if gaming takes it up then it'll push the 3d tv's - but i think this is unlikely and we'll see minimal uptake.

Instead they'll wait/push for super HD or OLED tv's instead.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I disagree that it is pointless, what i do think however is that people in this thread are looking in the wrong place.

I think the market will grow (as it always does with new tech tbh) in gaming, as we are the market who are likely to spend money on it.
The PS3 will be 3d compatible in the next firmware release, i am sure Microsoft will not be far behind.
While on its own this is not significant Bit Cauldron has come up with affordable glasses which work with most sets and are pushing for the industry to be standardized.
Second quarter of this year the glasses will start being sold as part of tv packages making 3d gaming accessible in the lucrative console market, how much they will cost we will see. If they price it competitively, say $30 for a set of glasses, $50 for glasses+receiver (remember you only need one receiver) i think it will take off very quickly.

Then we have the collaboration with ATI,
YouTube- MTBS-TV: Bit Cauldron & AMD Reveal Their 3D Glasses at CES!
i suspect many of the people buying the new 58xx series cards will be interested in the tech further establishing the tech

I think it all comes down to how cheap the glasses are going to be, if they price them well i can see this taking off and i hope it does as i really liked stereoscopic gaming
Can you imagine AVP3 with the immersion of 3d!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's a point yeah, a better solution is 120hz tele's and synchronised shutter glasses. Polarised kit is better for the cinema where they can give you a cheap set of specs but for home it doesn't seem like the best way to go.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have to admit, OLED is tempting, still a little pricey though. I'm not sure I can convince the Missus on that one yet.

Does anyone have a working, decent life, retailing now, large size (40+ inch) for sale yet?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Does anyone have a working, decent life, retailing now, large size (40+ inch) for sale yet?

Well uhh, you can buy a Sony 11" OLED TV for £3000-£3500.

old.user4556

Yeah that's kinda what I'm getting at, to the best of my knowledge OLED TVs are still tiny and hideously expensive.

old.user4556

Just read in a magazine this evening that we're going to need a new AV Amp for 3DTV too - I don't know exactly why, I didn't read the whole article but I suspect it'll have something to do with a new HDMI version. I can't find anything on the web on it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've just got back from the BETT show in London where 3D TV was making a pretty big appearance. On our stand we had an LG 42" 3D TV which you didn't need glasses for, and it was fairly impressive. Would I swap my HD telly for it tho?

No. You can watch HD with a hangover. 3D just sends you west.

old.user4556

Just got my first demo of a Panasonic Viera 50" 3DTV.

Yeah, it was interesting briefly but the glasses are damn uncomfortable and any lights that were susceptible to 50 Hz flickering in the room (fluorescents, pulsed LED lighting) were very distracting with the active glasses as it made the room flicker. You've also gotta watch it square on for the 3D effect to work (no surprise) which doesn't bode well if you wanna lounge around watching TV. Then I thought "what happens if you have a bunch of mates round to watch the football?" - you'll need a pair of glasses each at £90 odd a pair for the active ones.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yeah the tech is going to take a few years to come down in price and up in quality.

I'm sure the next big thing will be 3d displays that don't require glasses though.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The active system is a dead end IMO, too expensive and uncomfortable for lots of people.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It wasn't just a glasses problem, the whole thing is so confusing, I'm a 3D geek and I can't work out WTF, what works with what?
Trying to make a decision on the best kit to buy for max compatabilty and future proofness, I just gave up.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I hate watching films at the cinema in 3D. It just looks shit to me. Maybe another 3 or 4 years to make it actually work is needed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I watch my first 3D TV in the home just last week it was passive 3D so the glasses were cheap as chips. It was OK 8 of us were watching a film no problems with being spread out. I still think i will steer clear as i watch tv out of the corner of my eye and you can't do that with 3D and glasses.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't mind the odd Imax movie, but 3D TV? No thanks.

I'd sooner they invested in fully immersive 4D holographic TV...but thats probably 150 years away

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't mind the odd Imax movie, but 3D TV? No thanks.

I'd sooner they invested in fully immersive 4D holographic TV...but thats probably 150 years away
IMAX is ok, but home 3d or whatever bollox they decide to call it is shit. Same goes for the cinema. My kids always pester me to go to the cinema. My response "As long as it is not that 3d bollox". Fucking hate it. It is crap and ruins the film. Btw, where is Job defending 3D and nuclear fallout for the benefit of mankind?

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I have a 3D TV. I think the 3D capabilities is a fun added bonus. I bought a 3D movie so i could try it out and it works without hitch and doesnt feel cheep (using my PS3 as player). Saying that a HDTV is pointless is bollocks though, imo you will get a better experience watching a 1080p HD movie on a full-HD TV then on some 5 year old CRT TV.

3D TV is a gimmick, and will probobly be untill the active sets (without glasses) is dirtcheap and the networks have regular 3D broadcasts (my guess about 15 years from now).

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
3D is important for full immersion, when we get full wrap around viewers, but we also have a problem with eye convergence and focus, the brain uses them as well to check distance, so simple sterescopics works, but the brain isn't completely happy.
Also most 3D just looks like a pop up book with only a few 'set' distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom