Rant 3d tv

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
BBC News - 3D TV is being billed as possible industry saviour

I've seen this kicking around in the news for the past couple of weeks and they reckon it's going to be a storm at CES (which is on just now).

I gotta say, I think it's a complete load of bollocks and I'll eat my hat if 3D TV takes the world by storm. It's taken yeaaaaaaaaaars to get HD ready and full HD sets into people's homes and the HD service has been ropey at best (unless you pay a fortune for Sky) for Average Joe. I don't see a cash strapped public who have been plunged into recession binning their Bravias just to get some 3D action why I expect will be next to fuck all on council TV and a huge premium on Sky for a tiny fraction of channels.

We don't even have HD over Freeview yet, and even Freesat sports two channels (BBC HD and ITV HD), one of which isn't available in Skirtland unless you punch in a London postcode to get ITV London instead of STV.

Personally, I don't think 3D is that exciting at all - yeah it was interesting at the cinema, but you've gotta wear goggles all the time which give me headaches. I'd much rather film makers and TV dramas worked on decent scripts and stories instead of worrying about "woah, that just stuck out the TV there.... what's this film about again?".

Indiana Jones 5 in 3D - GG LUCAS, I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.

What do you think about 3D TV? Interesting to hear what Tom thinks being a camera bloke.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
If HD TVs aren't selling, 3D ones are going to sit on the shelves for millennia.

Re: HDTV, I personally don't see the point in broadcast TV in HD, films are stuff are aces, but for most TV shows it'll be pointless (except things like 24 or anything else with explosions)

rynnor

Rockhound
I hate 3d - it gives me a headache so I cant see it being a great thing for when your just relaxing watching random crap on the box?

Plus wearing specs not good if you already wear glasses :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sky are going to offer real3d through their existing sky HD boxes, afaik you won't need a new TV to use it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not sure how Chet, since I don't believe that normal televisions aren't capable of polarising their output.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Basically we all have giant reliable TVs at the moment, we're kind of at the end of the road of the "every house has a majhoosive teevee" lane.

They need something to keep selling us new shit. That new shit is 3dTV zomg!

/snore.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I still have my 10-year-old 32" CRT. Works fine, I hardly use it. I'm not spending good money on something I hardly ever use. Besides which I want a titanium-framed road bike.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meh.

Thought about it, considered things, weighed options and came up with...

Meh.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
3D is only being touted because its a shitload harder to pirate. Personally (as I said on the Avatar thread), I'm not confident 3D TV will even be worth the effort; you can feel the limitations of 3D on a normal cinema screen so I can't see how a telly is going to give any kind of immersive 3D experience (or at least, not one worth the investment).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its largely pointless, who the fuck wants watch Eastenders in 3D?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
3D is only being touted because its a shitload harder to pirate. Personally (as I said on the Avatar thread), I'm not confident 3D TV will even be worth the effort; you can feel the limitations of 3D on a normal cinema screen so I can't see how a telly is going to give any kind of immersive 3D experience (or at least, not one worth the investment).

I don't see how, it won't take someone long to remove a single channel of the display, and return to 2D.

Even a camera filming in the audience can just pop a polarised glass over the camera, and its all good.

DaGaffer

I don't see how, it won't take someone long to remove a single channel of the display, and return to 2D.

Even a camera filming in the audience can just pop a polarised glass over the camera, and its all good.

Yeah but something like Avatar, they can genuinely claim you're not getting the real experience in 2D. Makes that pirate DVD off your local Chinese streetcorner salesman a lot less attractive.

old.user4556

If 3D is aimed at cinema / movies, then imo 3D TV is an even bigger waste of time since the hard core home movie buffs are using front projection units and not TVs.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My experience of 3d has been coloured at best (see what I did there? :))
I've only watched one thing with polarised images and that was Avatar. Every other 3d video has been with red/green filter glasses and it gave me a headache.
I even had 3d glasses with an old Asus GeForceTi4400 video card a number of years ago. They had shutters that flicked on and off at 50/60Hz and gave me blinding headaches in less than 5 minutes.

I can't see 3D TV taking off in a big way any day soon. Like others said, HDTV took a while to snowball into the mainstream. I still look at my 42" Toshiba nearly 2 years later and STILL think "That's a damn fine TV". It came with extended warranty for 5 years because I intend for this screen to last me AT LEAST those 5 years and hopefully as much as 10 years.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!

What Grandad said tbh, but with more swearing and worse grammar.

3D was wank back in the day and its wank now. Even as a kid I thought it was shite, having to wear those cardboard 3D glasses for little or no advantage seemed gay even then. Its all bullshit, its bullshit to sell us more bullshit we don't need or want.

nath

Fledgling Freddie

Hold on - they're touting 3D as being the saviour as TV, so we'd need 3D TV's. If we had 3D TV's then surely it'd not be that hard to pirate, after all whatever digital medium it comes on it'll be copyable. As far as I can make out, the only thing impeding piracy of 3D stuff at the moment is the lack of equipment in the home to make use of it.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I saw Beowolf with the new polarised glasses, it was gimmicky but it worked - however after wearing them for about an hour my eyes were aching and by the end I was getting a headache, can't imagine watching lots of films or TV using them.

I believe HD uptake is still pretty low - from what I've heard lots of people have HD TVs, but few have an HD source. Out of those with an HD source I suspect they're mostly games consoles, and the rest are probably blu-ray - then there's 1 guy with Sky HD.

That's what a Sky engineer told me last year anyway, apparently Sky HD has more subscribers now.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
II believe HD uptake is still pretty low - from what I've heard lots of people have HD TVs, but few have an HD source. Out of those with an HD source I suspect they're mostly games consoles, and the rest are probably blu-ray - then there's 1 guy with Sky HD.

That's what a Sky engineer told me last year anyway, apparently Sky HD has more subscribers now.
So I must be that 1 guy then. :)
I've had SkyHD as long as I've had the TV, nearly 2 years. Now that's an example of where you can easily see the difference. Even my children can tell the difference and ask for the HD channel in preference to the SD channel (Disney Cinemagic being the main example here).

I also use it for gaming and bluray through my PS3... when I get a chance. The kids seem to have first dibs till about 7.30pm-8.00pm, then my wife watching recorded or Anytime programmes, then I might get an hour or so to myself at the very end of the day.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Do you use it mostly for films and stuff or do you watch lots of "normal" TV in HD? The times are a changing it seems :)

My parents have had an HD TV for about 3 years, they got a blu-ray player last week :)

DaGaffer

Hold on - they're touting 3D as being the saviour as TV, so we'd need 3D TV's. If we had 3D TV's then surely it'd not be that hard to pirate, after all whatever digital medium it comes on it'll be copyable. As far as I can make out, the only thing impeding piracy of 3D stuff at the moment is the lack of equipment in the home to make use of it.

Yeah but 3D kills the in-cinema guy with the camera, which is where a huge chunk of retail "day of release" piracy comes from (esp in asia and developing countries).

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
tbh i love 3D the few 3D films ive seen have been brilliant ive really enjoyed them frankly id like a 3D tv for movies it also opens up a new avenue for games developers on consoles although i dont know how much harder that would be to implement/code even if it would be worthwhile im sure some of you have oppinions on that

ive not got a HDTV, recently considered buying one, but i think ill wait now see what the prices of the 3D tv's are going to be, if they can offer everything a HDTV can and they aint much more expensive then i will buy one.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
So I must be that 1 guy then. :)
I've had SkyHD as long as I've had the TV, nearly 2 years. Now that's an example of where you can easily see the difference. Even my children can tell the difference and ask for the HD channel in preference to the SD channel (Disney Cinemagic being the main example here).

I also use it for gaming and bluray through my PS3... when I get a chance. The kids seem to have first dibs till about 7.30pm-8.00pm, then my wife watching recorded or Anytime programmes, then I might get an hour or so to myself at the very end of the day.

Same here, I enjoy Sky HD. Can't see me paying for a 3d set anytime soon though, and if sky want to charge more for 3d services, it will be even longer before I get them. I pay Sky a small fortune every month as it is.

private

Fledgling Freddie
Since Sky can lick my dick with their extravagant pricing and dodgy practices, when 3dTV is FreeSat and about half the channels are 3d then maybe I'll think about it.

As it is I'm feeling hard done by with HDTV programming in general, as I'm sure most people are. Unless you are a rabid technophile I really can't see anything worthwhile for consumers in this for at least another 5 years.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well HD is fantastic, the problem is the pricing, and a lot of not quite HD content that is passed off as HD.

rynnor

Rockhound
Didnt BBC HD recently downgrade their output quality?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Well HD is fantastic, the problem is the pricing, and a lot of not quite HD content that is passed off as HD.

I suppose I pay sky out of habbit really. I have been with them for 15 years, and it was a hassle free way to get HD and for the most part the quality is very good. Tis very expensive with fairly limited content given the price though.

I do broadband and phone through them too, and I think I pay sky £70 - 80 ish per month, not sure. I know they just put broadband prices up for old customers though. Not being in a cable area and not having freeview until five months ago doesn't help. Moving soon though, so will have the option to reconsider.

old.user4556

Not exactly, there has been a few complaints about them pegging back the bitstream / quality on certain programmes. Personally, Life on my 52" Sony looked absolutely immense and I couldn't complain one jot.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

They changed their equipment, and some people made a hoo hah over it. I haven't noticed any difference in quality, and I use bbc HD a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom