Football 2021/2022 Season Football Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Because the average man on the street doesn't know how corrupt UEFA are.
I knew that it'd be down to everyone else being too thick to understand it. Even though it's very simple to understand.

Were you against the formation of the Premier League?
I wasn't for it - it was obvious that it was going to entrench financial inequality in a newly-monied sporting world - and it did just that.

But financial inequality isn't rules-based structural inequality. It still offers some hope. Little hope, admittedly, but still hope.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
As a fan of one of the big clubs you wouldnt understand that there is literally no hope. I'd rather we were a championship side because at least there is something to play for there.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Best we can hope for is a West Ham type season. People need to admit that their clubs are part of the problem, that is the first step.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Best we can hope for is a West Ham type season. People need to admit that their clubs are part of the problem, that is the first step.
People need to support the reforming of our entire economic model - that is the first step.

Football is just a reflection of capitalism.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The argument is simple. Football desperately needs a shake up. Hit UEFA where it hurts - in their pockets - and when profits dwindle they will realise something needs to be done. Hopefully football in general will realise UEFA and FIFA need to go. The elite clubs are already so far removed from everyone else the change to the average fan will be minimal in the short term. The Super League had pledged the money would filter down appropriately - can we believe them? Who knows? But it's more or less impossible that it would be worse than what we have now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I was replying to your now deleted comment
???

I often quick edit what I type because when I read it I realise it's stream of consciousness - not what I mean. And I want to type what I mean. But I don't recall saying much different from what I wrote. Anyway, said all I'm gonna - the super league is a bloody horrible idea. Worse than economic inequality.

Gray

FH is my second home
Watford

"Worst home record with 11 losses in a row in over 20 years"

Everton

1652301794670.png

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

What is wrong with these lads lol

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What is wrong with these lads lol
What's your beef with this? Is it that you're opposed to change? Or is it because it's about money?

It's a business - they're trying to monetise it and spread it to more valuable markets (like all sports businesses are doing - and football is in competition with other sports on that front). Looks like a pitch to put together a more-meaningful-than-friendlies tournament (in the US) that'll bring some cash in.

I don't necessarily think that all these ideas are bad ones. But if your beef is "football is about money" then your argument is kind of pointless - capitalism is about money and football exists in that paradigm.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not a fan of it or nearly any idea FIFA/UEFA have but if it was to happen then as long as those who would participate in it don't then moan about the amount of games or fixture congestion I could easily ignore it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
What's your beef with this? Is it that you're opposed to change? Or is it because it's about money?

It's a business - they're trying to monetise it and spread it to more valuable markets (like all sports businesses are doing - and football is in competition with other sports on that front). Looks like a pitch to put together a more-meaningful-than-friendlies tournament (in the US) that'll bring some cash in.

I don't necessarily think that all these ideas are bad ones. But if your beef is "football is about money" then your argument is kind of pointless - capitalism is about money and football exists in that paradigm.

It's because there is already far to much football. Players are over worked. Look how Liverpool and Chelsea have dipped at the end of the season. These meaningless games are a trial for UEFAs moronic "festival of football" idea that will remove the 2 legged CL semi finals (about the only interesting thing about the CL as a neutral) that will invite 4 sets of opposing fans to a city all together for a weekend to fight.

Every decision they make is even more ridiculous than the last.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm not a fan of it or nearly any idea FIFA/UEFA have but if it was to happen then as long as those who would participate in it don't then moan about the amount of games or fixture congestion I could easily ignore it.

Trouble is that those who would participate will likely not have a choice in the matter.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So the question is:

Do we only host tournaments in countries that meet western sensibilities or do we host tournaments in countries that don't - and use football as a tool to create a shitstorm where that country gets exposed to a lot of criticism about <insert what it's doing wrong here>?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The latter is only worthwhile if anything actually changes as a result, and the history there suggests it doesn't. So I'd go with the former.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The latter is only worthwhile if anything actually changes as a result, and the history there suggests it doesn't.
Football has been used succesfully as a tool for social change for a long time. It can't do that if it avoids the very places that need that change.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Football has been used succesfully as a tool for social change for a long time. It can't do that if it avoids the very places that need that change.

Where recently has it made any social change?

Recently in fact a number of countries that had WCs or other massive events actually got worse.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Like where? Worked fucking brilliantly with the last WC in Russia didn't it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's just all sportswashing. Hitler was famous for it as well.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Like where? Worked fucking brilliantly with the last WC in Russia didn't it.
Oh yeah. You host a world cup in a country and instantly, magically, overnight it changes the political structures? Like politics is the only social sphere worth anything? Ffs.

You go anywhere in the world, and you have a commonality with the people in that country - you can pretty much talk football with anyone in any country. That effect is huge - and world cups spread that effect to the people (if not the politicians). And ultimately it's the people in the country that are important, long-term, not the politicians who rule it at any one time - the population of these countries. Football is a bridge builder, increased participation in team sports helps offer educational, aspirational community-driven change at a local level.

Social change - real social change - takes generations. Sport is one small part of that - but for some reason you lot think that footie is on the hook for curing bent regimes overnight.

Get real.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
What the fuck is that argument haha

it's sportswashing, nothing more, nothing less. Same as KSA buying Newcastle, Qatar hosting a WC and buying PSG, Rwandan investment in Arsenal, 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany, the entirety of Formula 1 etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom