Football 2021/2022 Season Football Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Here we go again...
??

I'm just a bit gobsmacked that the Man U manager looks whipped.

I like Ole. He was a great player. Honourable guy. But United can't seriously keep him can they? He's supposed to be a leader?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
??

I'm just a bit gobsmacked that the Man U manager looks whipped.

I like Ole. He was a great player. Honourable guy. But United can't seriously keep him can they? He's supposed to be a leader?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Looking forward to El'Sackico later.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Spurs were worse than getting to the restaurant for a night out and your wife realising she's forgotten to turn her straighteners off so you have to go back home

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Absolutely shite signing. Who do they get now though? Why would Conte go there?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Conte more or less done by the sounds of it. I suppose not that much of a surprise as he is out of work, but I still don't see the appeal for him there.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Work a year, get a pay out. Who wouldn't do it?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Because he already has a sketchy reputation - why risk tarnishing it further by taking over at Spurs?

A few million in the bank might persuade him... And ive no doubt he will join the merry go round and be hired somewhere else... Newcastle are hiring i hear

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The real problem at Spurs is at board level, they wouldn't have had to settle for their 6th? 7th? choice, if they hadn't played fuckabout for so long. They should have sold Kane when they could, they won't get what they wanted for him, and he won't win anything at Spurs, a lose-lose situation for all involved.

Realistically, is Conte going to have money to spend without offloading Kane? I very much doubt it, not enough to get Spurs anywhere near top 6, let alone top 4.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
A few million in the bank might persuade him... And ive no doubt he will join the merry go round and be hired somewhere else... Newcastle are hiring i hear

But he could just hang on for a couple of months and get more money at a better club?

Gray

FH is my second home
Oh we're going to be in some serious trouble the next few weeks with the games we have coming up now.

The last few matches should have set us up nicely for the run in, but we've messed it up badly.

It's a familiar story, season-on-season. Injury hampers us, lack of depth in positions and then poor individual mistakes.

Can't/Won't blame Benitez for this as we were in the shit before the season kicked on. But we didn't have the injuries... However I can't understand playing certain players.

Carlo did the same, insisting on playing the likes of Iwobi and Holgate when other players have shined.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I suspect if Spurs get Conte I don't fancy him staying long because of how Spurs are run under DL, they are bound to clash.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I suspect if Spurs get Conte I don't fancy him staying long because of how Spurs are run under DL, they are bound to clash.
Exactly. Makes very little sense. I really don't go in for the "it's a pay day" stuff, as he could hang on until the new year and likely have his pick of a few better clubs.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Paratici is supposed to have been instrumental in making it happen, they worked together for 3 years at Juve. We tried for Conte in June but it didn't happen for various reasons, leading to the prolonged search before ending up with Nuno, who was never going to work (which I remember saying at the time). Three squeaky 1-0 wins to start the season (funnily enough, the City match was probably the most deserved win) and it's been downhill since then. Boring football, a total lack of charisma and totally unable to plan anything in the final third. We all knew the football we were getting but there was a feeling that we'd stick with him because "at least he's not an objectionable cunt like Mourinho". It turns out at least Mourinho was occasionally entertaining and had a bit of a spark about him, Nuno's just dour.

As for Levy, I think what we've seen of him and his penny-pinching ways over the last decade is because he was on a mission to finance and build a billion pound stadium. Poch was brought in to do as well as possible with minimal spending while the stadium was being finalised/built and he did magnificently - he massively overachieved with what was offered to him which led to the bar being raised. His first couple of seasons were like a perfect storm of his energetic pressing game and a fit, young squad which is why I don't think he'd be half as successful coming back. PSG are a pretty awful watch so far - they've won a good few of their league matches by fortunate late goals, although they were great against City in the Champions League.

So, anyway, I don't think tightness is a permanent Levy characteristic, I think it's a mode he was operating in while the stadium was being planned and built. The stadium's going to start making serious money now (it already has with the Joshua fight and the NFL matches) and there's loads of development in the works for a huge swathe of the land around the ground. The club has already spent (or committed to spending via cheeky sales dressed up as loans with option/obligation) a load in the Summer (on top of increased spending in the previous Summer windows) and Conte will have been given assurances that he'll have money to spend in January and going forward.

Conte's not coming for a payday, that's just nonsense, if all he was motivated by was money he could waltz into the Newcastle job and probably earn twice as much. He has a reputation to protect, if he can come in and fix Tottenham, it elevates him above Mourinho. He's in the top 5 managers in the game, he's far and away the best manager currently not working and, unlike Mourinho, he's still at his peak. He'll be playing in the best stadium in Europe and he'll have a squad which everyone and their dog knows is better than results so far have demonstrated.

We're at the wrong end of every table (shots, distance covered, etc), which was explicitly one of the reasons I didn't want Nuno in the first place, it's exactly what happened at Wolves. What this squad needs more than anything right now is a rocket up its arse, a plan and a manager who jumps up and down on the sidelines and demands more and has the nous to react and change games. I can't wait to see what Conte can do.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh we're going to be in some serious trouble the next few weeks with the games we have coming up now.

The last few matches should have set us up nicely for the run in, but we've messed it up badly.

It's a familiar story, season-on-season. Injury hampers us, lack of depth in positions and then poor individual mistakes.

Can't/Won't blame Benitez for this as we were in the shit before the season kicked on. But we didn't have the injuries... However I can't understand playing certain players.

Carlo did the same, insisting on playing the likes of Iwobi and Holgate when other players have shined.
Aren't you missing Mina and Digne? I don't know who else you have back there apart from Godfrey and Keane but Godfrey was covering at full back so it seemed more like Holgate was playing out of necessity than anything.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
As for Levy, I think what we've seen of him and his penny-pinching ways over the last decade is because he was on a mission to finance and build a billion pound stadium. Poch was brought in to do as well as possible with minimal spending while the stadium was being finalised/built and he did magnificently - he massively overachieved with what was offered to him which led to the bar being raised. His first couple of seasons were like a perfect storm of his energetic pressing game and a fit, young squad which is why I don't think he'd be half as successful coming back. PSG are a pretty awful watch so far - they've won a good few of their league matches by fortunate late goals, although they were great against City in the Champions League.

Did Poch really overachieve? Take out that dream CL run (which is still cup football where anything can happen), Spurs were shit in the league that year IIRC, and then shit again the next year which resulted in him being sacked.

I absolutely have a personal vendetta against him if you can't tell :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom