Sport 2020(/1) Tokyo Olympics

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
You're KING emo, so I was surprised you hadn't jumped harder ;)

I feel for her. You did actually read that in my first post, which was at pains to point that out multiple times.

But there is a thing nowadays where you can't point out failure without people getting pissy and butthurt.

Why couldn't you just leave it at "I feel for her"? What do you gain from pointing out that she has failed? Does it make you feel better?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm sure when (if) she reads all the abuse she is getting online, people like you qualifying their shit takes with "i do sympathise but... you're actually a massive failure, sorry love" will really help her already clearly fragile mental state.
I'm not tweeting her or abusing her. I'm attempting to discuss a double standard and hypocrisy in what people say in media reporting and reality on the ground - on Freddyshouse (which I'm pretty sure she's not subscribed to).

Problem here is that the emo young uns around here have gotten all pissy because not everything is fucking roses, flowers and positivity.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I just noticed the Aussies have overtaken us, the bastards!

(They're like our Olympic rivals, right?)

Gwadien

I'm not tweeting her or abusing her. I'm attempting to discuss a double standard and hypocrisy in what people say in media reporting and reality on the ground - on Freddyshouse (which I'm pretty sure she's not subscribed to).

Problem here is that the emo young uns around here have gotten all pissy because not everything is fucking roses, flowers and positivity.

You called her a fucking quitter, the above is not what the point you were making.

At all.

PS, keep up the boomer point of views by the way.

'Young people these days!' Come on man, can't you see what you're saying, lmao.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

What you are doing is suggesting that she is using her mental health as an excuse for poor performance, without having a clue what is going on her head or what she is going through. All whilst calling her a quitter and a failure.

Obviously she doesn't subscribe to FH, but I'm not sure why that makes it OK?

Gwadien

You should start posting images of 16 year old soldiers from WW2 and talk about their life and then have a bit at the end that says 'Then you think about kids today!' or some shit.

That'd top it off :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's just quite funny that you use the same defence as the Twitter keyboard warriors and then say 'omg people are exaggerating their mental health!!!!'

Come on, do you not see the connection?
I don't think she's exaggerating anything. I also think she'll be kicking herself a long time for this. I also feel for her.

But I'm not going to lie and say she's not a failed olympian here - her withdrawal from the competition because she couldn't handle it makes her exactly that.

I'm not waving it in front of her face - 1) I would never do that, 2) She knows that very well herself and 3) she doesn't need people kicking her when she's down.

I'm talking about it here - and my point was about how it's being covered in the media - presented as a great thing she should be admired for.

That's a load of shit.

Gwadien

I don't think she's exaggerating anything. I also think she'll be kicking herself a long time for this. I also feel for her.

But I'm not going to lie and say she's not a failed olympian here - her withdrawal from the competition because she couldn't handle it makes her exactly that.

I'm not waving it in front of her face - 1) I would never do that, 2) She knows that very well herself and 3) she doesn't need people kicking her when she's down.

I'm talking about it here - and my point was about how it's being covered in the media - presented as a great thing she should be admired for.

That's a load of shit.

That's her choice to make, I don't think you should be kicking her on her behalf, that sounds almost like you're offended on her behalf, that's pretty snowflake of you.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What you are doing is suggesting that she is using her mental health as an excuse for poor performance
Go back and re-read the original post.

The biggest failure in this thread is your inability to comprehend english, as I never said anything of the sort.

Clearly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's her choice to make, I don't think you should be kicking her on her behalf, that sounds almost like you're offended on her behalf, that's pretty snowflake of you.
Above post goes for you too.

Gwadien

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think we're done here.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Go back and re-read the original post.

The biggest failure in this thread is your inability to comprehend english, as I never said anything of the sort.

Clearly.

"It's not just her. It's a few people withdrawing when the pressure is greatest citing mental health."

Very heavily implied, but I think that perhaps I was getting your post and the Piers Morgan article mixed up. Take that how you will.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The dangerous thing here is noone other than the individual really knows the impact their mental health issues are having. Also, none of us know if some event may have triggered her illness - she may have been relatively 'healthy' and able to compete at the highest levels until recently. An episode of mental health illness can happen to anyone - it is totally impartial who it affects - so whether it's a top-flight athlete or some lazy pisshead office worker like me it is perfectly reasonable for them to take themselves offline for a while to try to recuperate.

Shitting on that person, whether done with sympathetic words or otherwise, is simply a matter of not truly understanding the nature of mental health illness.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Finally the BBC stops showing dressage on both BBC 1 and Red button.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The dangerous thing here is noone other than the individual really knows the impact their mental health issues are having. Also, none of us know if some event may have triggered her illness - she may have been relatively 'healthy' and able to compete at the highest levels until recently. An episode of mental health illness can happen to anyone - it is totally impartial who it affects - so whether it's a top-flight athlete or some lazy pisshead office worker like me it is perfectly reasonable for them to take themselves offline for a while to try to recuperate.

Shitting on that person, whether done with sympathetic words or otherwise, is simply a matter of not truly understanding the nature of mental health illness.
Totally agree @Jupitus. 100%.

But that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about how someone bailing on the olympics is being praised and admired in the media.

The fact is - olympic sport is tough - mentally and physically. She didn't make that bar (for whatever reason) - so for me the media narrative should be factual. "X has withdrawn from the games". Not "X has withdrawn from the games, isn't she brave".

In a desparate effort to show compassion to mental health (which absolutely we all should be compassionate about) the media has gotten it's knickers in a twist. That is the crux of my observation. The subject matter isn't about her mental health state - it's about how a failure is being presented.

Honestly, it was a pretty simple post but it appears saying "fail" on a dark corner of the internet that only we read brings our denisens out in an incoherent rage nowadays.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I love watching Rings in gymnastics, just the strength to maintain positions.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Jesus, how many pages of this is there going to be.

She is anything but "a failure" She has achieved more in her life than any of us, certainly at 21 (or however old she is) Mentally she wasn't up to it, no different from having a pulled muscle or something.

Why is there is still a stigma around mental health?

My wife has pretty extreme (at times) depression, I know how debilitating it can be. She struggles to get out of bed when it's bad, going out in front of millions of people that are counting on you is absolutely huge.

Edit, the reason she is being praised is that she is letting people down, through no fault of her own. For many people, that in itself is huge and a very brave thing to do. More people need to admit to themselves and others when they are struggling with mental health, not hide from it and not pretend it isn't happening.

Last edited:

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Technical ability is nothing without mental strength in sports and for me is part and parcel of how good one is overall. The same can be said for most professions although maybe there's also a level of political ability required in some cases (in the corporate world at least in my experience).

I had to help coach and observe a lot of junior tennis players and there was some exceptional talent coming through. The one who has made it the furthest to date is Alejandro Davidovich who wasn't as technically gifted as some of the others but was head and shoulders above the rest mentally.

Biles quitting is a shame as she was obviously technically good but I'm far more in favour of her doing it like this rather than how Osaka did it at the French Open. The people at the Olympics are professionals and would have higher expectations come with the label. She couldn't handle the mental aspect of her sport and she quit - fine. I do applaud the fact that she is aware, I don't really applaud at the fact that she quit. Maybe that reads wrong but maybe it's easier explained by saying I'm happy that she found out and took action rather than being negative towards her for quitting(?)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Totally agree @Jupitus. 100%.

But that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about how someone bailing on the olympics is being praised and admired in the media.

The fact is - olympic sport is tough - mentally and physically. She didn't make that bar (for whatever reason) - so for me the media narrative should be factual. "X has withdrawn from the games". Not "X has withdrawn from the games, isn't she brave".

In a desparate effort to show compassion to mental health (which absolutely we all should be compassionate about) the media has gotten it's knickers in a twist. That is the crux of my observation. The subject matter isn't about her mental health state - it's about how a failure is being presented.

Honestly, it was a pretty simple post but it appears saying "fail" on a dark corner of the internet that only we read brings our denisens out in an incoherent rage nowadays.

I think the "brave" angle wasn't having a mental health issue, it was talking about having a mental health issue. If she'd pulled out because she'd pulled a muscle no-one would bat an eyelid, but the minute it's an issue with one's mind, the questions start. I will freely admit that when I heard her on the radio explaining why she'd pulled out, I immediately rolled my eyes and thought it was all a bit feeble. Then I stopped to think for a minute and now think, she pulled a muscle, in her brain. Think of it like that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think the "brave" angle wasn't having a mental health issue, it was talking about having a mental health issue. If she'd pulled out because she'd pulled a muscle no-one would bat an eyelid, but the minute it's an issue with one's mind, the questions start. I will freely admit that when I heard her on the radio explaining why she'd pulled out, I immediately rolled my eyes and thought it was all a bit feeble. Then I stopped to think for a minute and now think, she pulled a muscle, in her brain. Think of it like that.
I do. Completely. You can see a broken arm or leg. You can't see a broken neuron - that's exactly how I think about mental health issues.

Edit:
Technical ability is nothing without mental strength in sports and for me is part and parcel of how good one is overall. The same can be said for most professions although maybe there's also a level of political ability required in some cases (in the corporate world at least in my experience).
And this too, really.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think some of you need to understand the separation between 'mental strength' and 'mental illness'. I actually believe wholeheartedly that a great many people suffering from mental illness also exhibit a huge degree of mental strength at the same time. Having the fibre and fortitude to keep going, day to day, when your head is full of clouds, anxiety and doubt is no mean feat.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I don't really get anyone who pisses on mental illness. But at the same time, I'm more concerned about people on minimum wage who suffer from mental illness than olympians and footballers - if they drop out then it's likely there's a financial safety net and assistance forthcoming.

If people with no savings and no safety net drop out because of mental illness they become homeless, or worse.

This Jup:
Having the fibre and fortitude to keep going, day to day, when your head is full of clouds, anxiety and doubt is no mean feat.
Is true. But I think that's just reality for a lot of people because the alternative is even worse.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Morgan's got a point here (though he's still a cunt).

Think about it. Mental illness can affect anyone. You're just as much a "hero" in this context if you're a depressed dinner lady or someone who forces themselves to go to work.

What about all the unemployed lower class poorly-educated people. Will they get called "heroes" when they bin off work and go on the dole citing "mental health" or will a fuckton of people call them lazy talentless wankers who never tried at school.

Is it only elite sportsmen or women that get the sympathy in the media?

There's absolutely a bias here.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Nobody is saying that.

What people are saying in this context;

One is a black woman that was systematically, sexually assaulted while training for her sport, pulling out of the Olympics vs an absolute bell-end storming off live TV because he lost an argument with a weatherman over his treatment of another young black woman, also under huge amounts of pressure.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Morgan's got a point here (though he's still a cunt).

Think about it. Mental illness can affect anyone. You're just as much a "hero" in this context if you're a depressed dinner lady or someone who forces themselves to go to work.

What about all the unemployed lower class poorly-educated people. Will they get called "heroes" when they bin off work and go on the dole citing "mental health" or will a fuckton of people call them lazy talentless wankers who never tried at school.

Is it only elite sportsmen or women that get the sympathy in the media?

There's absolutely a bias here.

There's definitely a bias here. Morgan is a cunt and everybody hates him. #bias.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nobody is saying that.
Yes they are:
One situation describes arguing with a weather man and another is pushing your body and mind to physical limits in order to be the best in the world. Perspective
That's a qualitative assessment of what is OK to treat with sympathy.

The point of mental health issues is that it's in the eye of the beholder and just as serious for that specific person.

If a poor person breaks their arm you can see it, just as well as with an elite athlete. This person is making a qualitative assessment on the type of pressure a person is allowed to be under before you can start taking their mental health issues seriously.

That's exactly what is being said there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's definitely a bias here. Morgan is a cunt and everybody hates him. #bias.
Including me.

But even unpopular cunts have mental health issues. And ugly unemployed people etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom