Sport 2020(/1) Tokyo Olympics

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I went to the 7s at Twickenham a couple of years ago. It's absolute carnage there. I was absolutely off my tits by about 3 in the afternoon.

Yeah, it's great fun.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

So, on the verge of medals this person's withdrawing from the competition. She's being praised for "prioritising her mental health".

I find this a little bit bullshit tbh.

she said (in a related article) said:
Biles, 24, scored 13.766 - her lowest Olympic vault score - before withdrawing from the event.

After the performance I did, I just didn't want to go on.

I have to focus on my mental health. I just think mental health is more prevalent in sports right now. We have to protect our minds and our bodies and not just go out and do what the world wants us to do. "I don't trust myself as much anymore. Maybe it's getting older. There were a couple of days when everybody tweets you and you feel the weight of the world. We're not just athletes. We're people at the end of the day and sometimes you just have to step back.I didn't want to go out and do something stupid and get hurt. I feel like a lot of athletes speaking up has really helped.

It's not just her. It's a few people withdrawing when the pressure is greatest citing mental health.

But we're praising quitters. Which might be the thing to do in this new touchy-feely "the most important thing is that nobody should feel bad ever" world we've created - but at the end of the day, if people walk away when the pressure is on that's failure. Especially in a sporting context.

I feel for the girl - and that's genuine - but she's a quitter. Plain and simple. Couldn't take the pressure and dropped out and, importantly, has taken the place of someone who might have been able to see it through to the end for better or worse - so I feel for them too as they've had their chance taken by someone who didn't follow through when the going got tough.

Might sound harsh. But...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

So, on the verge of medals this person's withdrawing from the competition. She's being praised for "prioritising her mental health".

I find this a little bit bullshit tbh.

It's not just her. It's a few people withdrawing when the pressure is greatest citing mental health.

But we're praising quitters. Which might be the thing to do in this new touchy-feely "the most important thing is that nobody should feel bad ever" world we've created - but at the end of the day, if people walk away when the pressure is on that's failure. Especially in a sporting context.

I feel for the girl - and that's genuine - but she's a quitter. Plain and simple. Couldn't take the pressure and dropped out and, importantly, has taken the place of someone who might have been able to see it through to the end for better or worse - so I feel for them too as they've had their chance taken by someone who didn't follow through when the going got tough.

Might sound harsh. But...

"Man who doesn't understand the meaning of the word Empathy thinks 4 time Olympic gold medalist pulling out of a competition on the grounds of poor mental health is a quitter. More to come at 10".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Man who doesn't understand the meaning of the word Empathy thinks 4 time Olympic gold medalist pulling out of a competition on the grounds of poor mental health is a quitter. More to come at 10".
Read the post. I absolutely feel for the girl. If it was in any standard walk of life then there wouldn't be anything to post about.

But Olympic sport isn't a "standard walk of life". It requires elite level physical and mental fortitude.

There wouldn't even be a post about it if there wasn't the "she's getting praised for prioritising her mental health". Absolutely she should be getting fully supported - she's having a tough enough time to feel she has to quit.

But she quit. Period. Didn't have what it took. You shouldn't be getting "praised" for that.

Imagine a champions league finalist walking off 15 minutes into the final because he didn't feel that he could take the pressure any more.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
People absolutely should be praised for putting their mental health ahead of anything else when the eyes of the world are on you. She is being praised because it would've been extremely hard for her to do. It's clear her mental health wasn't quite right leading up to the games but I expect she was being under pressure to compete because of who she is.

I'd take a million quitters over one Gary Speed who had to suffer in silence and ended up topping himself.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
People absolutely should be praised for putting their mental health ahead of anything else when the eyes of the world are on you. She is being praised because it would've been extremely hard for her to do. It's clear her mental health wasn't quite right leading up to the games but I expect she was under pressure to compete because of who she is.

I'd take a million quitters over one Gary Speed who had to suffer in silence and ended up topping himself.
The Gary Speed reference is a bit reductio ad absurdum don't you think? Not being able to handle the pressure of a sporting event doesn't mean you're automatically a suicide risk. (In fact, I'd argue that what's more likely is that she's going to look back at her quitting and potentially be haunted by it - so hopefully that doesn't cause her inordinate pain for the rest of her life).

Sympathise with the people for putting their mental health first. Support them, absolutely.

But in the cold hard light of day - she still quit.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Completely agree. I can't imagine the pressures.

But then I don't have to. That's part of their job description - to be both physically and mentally fit to win. And we praise the winners, not praise those who quit.

Completely agree, but you still want to put your shit opinion about it forward. OK.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I kind of feel like Scouse on this one, it isn't that I don't feel for her but seriously don't make a song and dance about it as if it is something special you've done compared to anyone else who suffers metal issues. I also can't help but feel that some of that pressure she put on herself, there seemed to be quite a few videos pre Olympics doing all these amazing gymnastics.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I kind of feel like Scouse on this one, it isn't that I don't feel for her but seriously don't make a song and dance about it as if it is something special you've done compared to anyone else who suffers metal issues. I also can't help but feel that some of that pressure she put on herself, there seemed to be quite a few videos pre Olympics doing all these amazing gymnastics.

She isn't making a song and dance about it. Other people are. She was asked in press conference what the problem was and she answered truthfully.

What the actual fuck is wrong with some of you lot?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Completely agree, but you still want to put your shit opinion about it forward. OK.
I saw you called me obtuse before changing your post. Obtuse, which in this context means " lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect ".

I can both sympathise with the girl as per that tweet AND realise the cold hard facts that she quit and that's not an achievement but a failure.

I'd turn the accusation of being obtuse around - because you seem to lack the ability to undertand that people can hold seemingly conflicting things in their heads. I 100% feel for her, despite her failure.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I saw you called me obtuse before changing your post. Obtuse, which in this context means " lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect ".

I can both sympathise with the girl as per that tweet AND realise the cold hard facts that she quit and that's not an achievement but a failure.

I'd turn the accusation of being obtuse around - because you seem to lack the ability that I can hold both things in my head - that I 100% feel for her, despite her failure.

I fully understand it, but what I don't understand is why someone would feel the need to make a post on a forum pointing out what a fucking failure this struggling young woman is.

At least Embattle is on your side though, so you've got that going for you.

edit - just to clarify, what a fucking failure this 24 year old 4 time olympic gold medalist is.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I fully understand it, but what I don't understand is why someone would feel the need to make a post on a forum pointing out what a fucking failure this struggling young woman is.

Well technically she is, mental problem or not she has withdrawn after 5 years of preparation.

All mental health is not equal.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Would you say that to her face?

If not, why do you feel the need to post on a forum about it?

"Hi Simone, nice yo meet you. By the way, you're a complete failure for pulling out of the olympics."

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

edit - just to clarify, what a fucking failure this 24 year old 4 time olympic gold medalist is.
Ah, I see. Your overly emo nature interferes with your english comprehension skills.

Your representation of my post reflects your emotional OUTRAGE very well but doesn't represent the thrust of my argument at all.

Hey ho :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Ah, I see. Your overly emo nature interferes with your english comprehension skills.

Your representation of my post reflects your emotional OUTRAGE very well but doesn't represent the thrust of my argument at all.

Hey ho :)

"I can both sympathise with the girl as per that tweet AND realise the cold hard facts that she quit and that's not an achievement but a failure."

I'm sure when (if) she reads all the abuse she is getting online, people like you qualifying their shit takes with "i do sympathise but... you're actually a massive failure, sorry love" will really help her already clearly fragile mental state.

Embattle

FH is my second home

If not, why do you feel the need to post on a forum about it?

"Hi Simone, nice yo meet you. By the way, you're a complete failure for pulling out of the olympics."

I don't say anything on the forum I wouldn't say to someone's face and no one said she was a complete failure...dickhead :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I don't say anything on the forum I wouldn't say to someone's face and no one said she was a complete failure...dickhead :p

I said the insulation was that you & scouse are saying she is a complete failure, and you said "well technically she is". What did you mean by that then if you're not calling her a failure?

I really don't understand why people can't keep their distinctly average opinions to themselves rather than dole out shit to people when they have no real concept of what someone is going through.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Fucks sake @Scouse moving to Wales really has turned you into a boomer.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Piers Morgan agrees with Scouse and Embattle as well, and has been very quick to tell everyone about it. This is the same man who stormed off set after receiving around 15 seconds of criticism from a co-host.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's lots of things you don't say to people's faces. Are you insane? Measuring what is acceptable discussion by what you'd say directly to some one is retarded.

Obviously so.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Morgan training to be an elite athlete:

1627466589577.png

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fucks sake @Scouse moving to Wales really has turned you into a boomer.
You're KING emo, so I was surprised you hadn't jumped harder ;)

I feel for her. You did actually read that in my first post, which was at pains to point that out multiple times.

But there is a thing nowadays where you can't point out failure without people getting pissy and butthurt.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You're KING emo, so I was surprised you hadn't jumped harder ;)

I feel for her. You did actually read that in my first post, which was at pains to point that out multiple times.

But there is a thing nowadays where you can't point out failure without people getting pissy and butthurt.

It's just quite funny that you use the same defence as the Twitter keyboard warriors and then say 'omg people are exaggerating their mental health!!!!'

Come on, do you not see the connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom