10 year anniversary in a few months.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone expecting anything big from mythic for the 10th anniversary of the game?

How about sticking an Origins server up :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I expect 1 of a few things :p

1) they'll announce they're going F2P (Free 2 play)

2) they'll give some sort of info on orgins.

3) they'll announce daoc2 (sadly)

4) they'll announce yet more item updates, most likely Darkness Falls items this time.

and 5) they'll do none of the above and just stick bonus rp's on for a few days to celebrate and possibly a little ingame event that yields some stupidly op loot.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They dont have the staff/servers to deal with F2P tbh

they can easily bring some more on, F2P rakes it in for mmo's :p they'd need to open more clusters tho as i'm sure 10000 people on ywain certainly wouldnt be productive.

"There are Free-to-Play, Pay-to-Connect games where there is no charge for playing but often the free servers are congested. Access to uncongested servers is reserved for fee-paying members.
When Electronic Arts introduced its "Play 4 Free" business model, which provided free software but included the option for players to make micropayments within the game, concerns were raised that if players had to pay to be better at a multiplayer game, then it would not be a success. Instead, it was suggested that payments should only broaden the game experience.[1]"

A rough way to do it would be something along the lines of:

Normal free2play

Realm Rank 4 Cap
50 Plat Cap
(and some other restrictions)

Silver Membership £5 a month (just an example)

Rank Rank 7-8 Cap
100 Plat Cap
(some other restrictions)

Gold Membership £8-9 a month (no different than what we pay now and the game gets a nice boost in population/income by the 2 previous levels of membership

No restrictions or caps

- - - - - - - -

Thats basically what most mmo's use at present either a 3 part model or something similar and it works rather well, they'd also have shops which sell certain bonus xp or bonus rvr xp scrolls.

All just an example ofcourse :) but its quite amazing how it all works.

Edit: And as you can see EA have already adopted the F2P model they just havent put it into effect yet on DAOC.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
so I wouldnt be able to play my rr8 wizard or rr5 cleric unless I paid for it?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
so I wouldnt be able to play my rr8 wizard or rr5 cleric unless I paid for it?

if it went free to play yes.... as said think of it as it is now only 2 bonus levels for new people to come to the game or people that cant afford the full amount, we'd just continue paying what we do now which would equate to the gold memebership thus we have no restrictions.

Everz

FH is my second home
if it went free to play yes.... as said think of it as it is now only 2 bonus levels for new people to come to the game or people that cant afford the full amount, we'd just continue paying what we do now which would equate to the gold memebership thus we have no restrictions.

That would be the most stupidest thing I'd ever heard, so basically any accounts I've got left would be off limits because I have nothing sub-rr5 on them?

That said, I'd never play Live DAoC again as it stands unless mythic announced a new server or the rebirth of PvP..till then it's live it up on shards such as Faith.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
That would be the most stupidest thing I'd ever heard, so basically any accounts I've got left would be off limits because I have nothing sub-rr5 on them?

That said, I'd never play Live DAoC again as it stands unless mythic announced a new server or the rebirth of PvP..till then it's live it up on shards such as Faith.

Why is this so hard to fucking understand? let me dumb it down as much as I can for the boys and girls who don't understand how F2P works.

Free membership: can't get past rr4, can't hold more than 50p

Silver membership: can't get past rr8, can't hold more than 100p

Gold membership: no restrictions or caps <---- herpy derp derp this is what you've been paying for over the last 10 years and will continue paying for.

Get it now? F2P isnt their for your convenience as a veteran player, its to help get new players into the game and to support the game itself via the cash shop and other means. Once you've paid for a gold membership theres no going back in short, you can't just go gold get RR10 then go free.

Everz

FH is my second home
I get ya.. spose it could work but then it just brings an army of kids and retards, that and why would people want to buy in to a f2p when that is already on offer via shards? :s.

I'd rather DAoC be left alone to go quietly and then focus on the next thing.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
DAoC as a F2P game wouldn't really help it gain enough new players to make all the work converting it worth the trouble.

The game is hideously outdated, Mythic doesn't know how to balance it and most everyone jump around to whatever realm that has all the relics, so realm balance is non existent.

Not to mention the absolutely AWEFUL ingame community this game has that will go to any length possible to "get even" on someone who dared to add on their 1 v 1/FG vs FG fights by PM'ing obscenities and/or naming and shaming on a forum while crying like a baby...

And last but most importantly, GW2 is releasing in a not to distant future, and with it's 3 server wars DAoC is going to have some stiff competition from a game that is designed from the ground up to be F2P.

DAoC just doesn't have anything left to flex with, even if it does go F2P...

Nothing what so ever.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Age has nothing to do with how successful F2P is, there are games older than DAOC using the F2P model and have more players than DAOC to date. I do agree about the balance issues, its one of the many things they'd have to work on to make F2P work properly because they quite simply cannot afford to have thousands of people switching to the most OP realm at the time as the PvP balance would be retarded.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I get ya.. spose it could work but then it just brings an army of kids and retards, that and why would people want to buy in to a f2p when that is already on offer via shards? :s.

bring an army of kids and retards? which is basically whats on ywain now? as for free shards they're ran by twats half the time that either abuse their admin rights or are just in general dicks to people and above all that littered with fly hackers + speed hackers.

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH

Hehe Eversmall!

Well in my opinion it is the poor players and the whiners there plays on freeshards where its easy and fast to get to rr12-13.. and there are much higher amount of kids and retards on the shards compared to Live!

So ppl there escapes to shards from lives are the ppl there are having a hard time, no ppl to play with or the whiners or the leet kids there isnt leet enough! So its much easier for them to play leet/good on the shards :) Have self been on the silly shards but i prefer Live and i dont care about the silly amount of money it costs to pay and play 2 daoc accounts! Its such a small amount of money anyway :)

DAoC is still fine to play and decent action no matter how ppl prefers to play the game :) we live in 2011 now the game changed but it is years ago, the ppl there miss the EU community, it died years ago.. so face it! DAoC will never be like when we played OF with radar guilds, I like NF, ofc i miss the community from back then, when u knew your enemies! But I have accepted the changes over the years :)

And I enjoy Ywain :m00:

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Well announcement of Origins would certainly do it for me.

Saddens me that there still are people alive that prefer NF over OF it is like the pope saying don't use condoms to me..god will save you from STD...:(

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH
Well announcement of Origins would certainly do it for me.

Saddens me that there still are people alive that prefer NF over OF it is like the pope saying don't use condoms to me..god will save you from STD...:(

Hehe u was one of the players there didnt give NF a good go ? or gave up to fast ? :)

Btw hows it going old mate? Still talking with Ara ? :)

Everz

FH is my second home
bring an army of kids and retards? which is basically whats on ywain now? as for free shards they're ran by twats half the time that either abuse their admin rights or are just in general dicks to people and above all that littered with fly hackers + speed hackers.

Yet shards have far superior anti-cheat systems in place then Live, you can get away with alot more on live imho. Haven't seen any cheats since I've started up playing a shard again. Yeh, I can just see it being a flop when the cheap alternative of shards is already there?

Everz

FH is my second home
Hehe Eversmall!

Well in my opinion it is the poor players and the whiners there plays on freeshards where its easy and fast to get to rr12-13.. and there are much higher amount of kids and retards on the shards compared to Live!

So ppl there escapes to shards from lives are the ppl there are having a hard time, no ppl to play with or the whiners or the leet kids there isnt leet enough! So its much easier for them to play leet/good on the shards :) Have self been on the silly shards but i prefer Live and i dont care about the silly amount of money it costs to pay and play 2 daoc accounts! Its such a small amount of money anyway :)

DAoC is still fine to play and decent action no matter how ppl prefers to play the game :) we live in 2011 now the game changed but it is years ago, the ppl there miss the EU community, it died years ago.. so face it! DAoC will never be like when we played OF with radar guilds, I like NF, ofc i miss the community from back then, when u knew your enemies! But I have accepted the changes over the years :)

And I enjoy Ywain :m00:

I find shards more enjoyable simply because I don't have to run 3 accounts if I want to solo :D. Log on, buff up, and go kill some. Do wish there was a PvP shard which didn't have stupid amount of rp bonus, even this current one is far to high imo.

Something about Live just doesn't tick the box, something to do with the long boat rides to the annoyance of getting assfucked everytime I play a visual that deters me from ever touching it again. Tempting at times as I still have one account left, but it would be in vain. Too much effort for such little reward I'd personally find on Ywain.

Just a headache to think come back, do 1-50 and spend 400plat getting the most up-to-date template, do cl1-10, log in bot/s and face the zzz boat rides and neverending zergs OR login /lvl 50, auto template, go kick some ass etc etc :p.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
as for free shards they're ran by twats half the time that either abuse their admin rights or are just in general dicks to people and above all that littered with fly hackers + speed hackers.

Hey :( apart from Faith :( I don't abuse my admin rights :p

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
If they do F2P I'll only be running in molvik/thid and my lvl50s will only be necro+bot for item farming

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Age has nothing to do with how successful F2P is, there are games older than DAOC using the F2P model and have more players than DAOC to date.

Yes that's true, but those games (at least as far as i'm aware) tries pretty hard to keep the game at least somewhat updated, and not only in the graphics department like Mythic did with DAoC and/or the game were actually decent all the way through, DAoC only really ever had the RvR to bring to the table.

Not even when the game started to fall apart did they try to do anything about it, instead they turned on the hysterical panic mode and threw out unbalanced patch after unbalanced patch after unbalanced patch while totally ignored the TL's and the rest of the community's pleads to test the patches properly. And then sat back scratching their heads wondering wtf went wrong...

Yes, old MMO's can be successful with a F2P model, but not DAoC because Mythic would undoubtedly fuck it up even more. It's just the way they do things.

I would probably still like to see them try tho. Maybe they even think it through properly beforehand...

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Hehe u was one of the players there didnt give NF a good go ? or gave up to fast ? :)

Btw hows it going old mate? Still talking with Ara ? :)

Yah I hated NF from get go, still gave it prolly 12-16 million rps worth of a go.

Havn't talked to Erik in a long while now, he ain't gaming anymore I think..both working alot aswell. Tried to bring him in on my BC2 crew but was a no go :p

Also he turned into a rapebook faggot so..yah not my thing :D

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Nf is superior in every way as a smallman solo or 8 man, more open plains less chokepoints, OF was also too slowpaced.

Just remove agramon/labby and bring back old bridges and NF would be win and make keeps harder to take

Everz

FH is my second home
What?

NF with agramon and old bridges would be the shit, original NF was way to crammed and shit, doesn't anyone remember the opening 2 weeks on excal? Worst period of rvr I have ever experienced, never saw so many people quit simultaneously. Less chokepoints, but also less hotspots for action imho.. OF was massive in comparision imo and had more action spread out all over, only a silly prat would use the 'they only went to emain' because that is total crap. Odins, HW, HoC, Dodens, For.Sauvage, even good chunks of emain were viable for a solo.

OF was the don, all it needed was minor improvements such as ports for the host realm (hibs to nged for example), lower the port timers, make MGs destroyable. The keep designs did need an upgrade aswell, but the current setup is far to easy to take and boring layout. Relic raids in NF? Snooze fest. It's easier to let them go then defend them.

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH
in OF ppl ran Odin's or HW when they got pwned too much in Emain.. or else the normal action in OF was Emain > AMG > MMG that was where like 90% of the action was! Odin's was most for solos and for the grps there got pwned too much in Emain! HW was not everyday there was action there, but same as Odin's when there was some action :)

and Dodens was a few times a week u could get lucky to go there and push moc solo and kill 2-3 silly grps!

So NF has much more to offer, and the pve players from OF began to move out in the rvr zones! So OF was easy and good.. but i prefer NF and the many options u got there :) ofc laby should imo not have been made :)

Or else NF is fine :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Origins....

Can you all seriously be arsed to level again etc from fresh?

Not me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom