1 week to sort this forum out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think Adari has been doing a great job - i really didnt think he would when you said he would become eOT mod. simple thing to do is hand out a few perma bans to the worst offenders and it should all be ok.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
k9awya said:
ala you post like a **** and they dont like it

most of you are *****, why waste mod time on a bunch of *****?

as for being whoever you want to be.. if who you want to be is a childish **** you hardly have ground to complain the forum is being treated unfairly

most normal people see why this is happening, just some of you who cant live without forums yet rebel at any opportunity have thrown your hands up in the air and claimed innocence, when in the end you are all just being *****

the stars mean cúnt(s)

Nice to seee the debate can stay nice and mature and intelligent......

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Whats the point in this forum without the main offenders?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Aoami said:
Whats the point in this forum without the main offenders?

surely the forum should exist in it's own right for the purpose of being an excalibur off topic forum rather than being the anarchic playground for a clique of regulars?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
surely the forum should exist in it's own right for the purpose of being an excalibur off topic forum rather than being the anarchic playground for a clique of regulars?

But then the posts would all be pointless and boring and only Ala would post and no-one would ever want to come here. If everyone was unbanned then this place would be good again.

Adari

Part of the furniture
As long as most posters keep thinking they can post whatever the hell they want, rules or no rules, mods or no mods, then this forum would just become a bigger mess if everyone was to be unbanned.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Adari said:
As long as most posters keep thinking they can post whatever the hell they want, rules or no rules, mods or no mods, then this forum would just become a bigger mess if everyone was to be unbanned.
Are you mentally challenged? It's and OFF TOPIC FORUM. What does it matter what they post? The entire idea of modding an off topic forum for content is past ridiculous. As long as it's not illegal then wtf is the problem. All this drama is non-sense cooked up by people with too much time on their hands (Adari). Instead of mod-baiting, now that he is a mod he's just shit stirring for more drama to come his way. :eek:

I can't even believe I am posting this it is such a stupid issue.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Asha said:
Are you mentally challenged? It's and OFF TOPIC FORUM. What does it matter what they post? The entire idea of modding an off topic forum for content is past ridiculous. As long as it's not illegal then wtf is the problem. All this drama is non-sense cooked up by people with too much time on their hands (Adari). Instead of mod-baiting, now that he is a mod he's just shit stirring for more drama to come his way.

There is a difference between having off-topic threads which are unrelated to DAOC, and having mindless drivel, spamming back and forth between 2 people with no real content or reason d'etre. Decent off-topic posts can be interesting and fun, and that is what this forum is supposed to be for.

Asha said:
I can't even believe I am posting this it is such a stupid issue.

Nobody is forcing you to...

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
There is a difference between having off-topic threads which are unrelated to DAOC, and having mindless drivel, spamming back and forth between 2 people with no real content or reason d'etre. Decent off-topic posts can be interesting and fun, and that is what this forum is supposed to be for.
They have always posted the mindless drivel. Simply set this forum to self-delete after a week if a thread isnt' active. If they want to spam one liners to each other then let them, no one reads it but them. It doesn't hurt anyone or interfer with serious threads. They are just looking for attention, if they don't get it, then it will stop. What you shouldn't do is set up a 14 year old drama queen to reign over them all. Anyhow, if you close this forum they will just move their driveling to normal off topic.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
heh its funny that we get all the attention yet there is also drivel the in the rvr forums nothing happens there ;x

Adari

Part of the furniture
Asha, I suggest you go and read this, which counts for all forums.

I don't think you quite understand what this forum is for either, off topic doesnt mean "hi, we spam whatever the hell we want here, we can insult whoever the hell we want here, cos this is for zee outlaws!!11". No, Off Topic is a forum for posts unrelated to DAoC, just because the posts on this board aren't about xxx albions raiding mid str relics doesn't mean they should not be moderated if they are contain spam/insults e.g.

Thanks.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
no but the line between spam and not spam is very very very thin in this context

to me a link to xxx or yyy that has been around for 20 years is spam, tisme's jokes are spam and I got so drunk last night threads are spam. So I mostly don't even open those threads unless I am really bored. To other people it might be really fasinating.

Trying to mod what is and isn't spam in an offtopic forum of mostly younger people is really not possible. All other largish forums (even our guild and alliance forums) have a place for junk that no one wants to keep for more than a week. Hi, how are you etc. It's normal.

Adari

Part of the furniture
Posts that say "Hi I am a cat ahaeheahaehHAEHEAHHAEHEHAEH!111" in an off topic forum = spam.
Posts that, for instance, discuss whether or not the film Troy should have been based more on mythology and lose some of its entertaining aspects in an off topic = not spam.

It's really not that hard. ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
lol adari who the fuck posts "Hi I am a cat ahaeheahaehHAEHEAHHAEHEHAEH!111", except maybe you

Shawr

Fledgling Freddie
I've been reading excal off topic since it was first created way back on the old BW forums though I've rarely posted here. Back then, Spamriderx and a few others took it as being the place where they could boost their post counts, spamming the entire forum with only smileys or single words for replies. There seemed (to me atleast) to be little or no modding or discipline taken (certainly no bans) and a closed thread was extremely rare indeed. Even on threads that were ranging into pages and pages of smileys alone. After a while however the main offenders calmed down (normally shortly after reaching forum deity status :p) and some semblance of sanity took over. I don't know whether this was due to them getting bored or some crack down by mods behind the scenes in the form of warning pms (I still don't remember seeing many closed threads at all or any bans either) or perhaps it no longer became the "cool" thing to do. Anyway, after that initial hickup it actually became a decently diverting forum to read (normally when I was supposed to be doing something else :p).

What was the point in that example? Well, I think what I was trying to say was that maybe the people who are suggesting a bit more leniancy have the right idea. Closing threads so rapidly and so frequently may seem like the efficient and effective way to stamp on what you see as bad behaviour but may actually be having the opposite effect. Closing so many and so fast might just be leading people to (rather than accepting that the decision was correct) fight back by making more and more useless threads. Whereas, if left to their own devices the majority of useless and uninteresting threads will just slip harmlessly down the forum.

Not to unfairly try to suggest that all the problems in this forum of late are due to mods being overly strict I'll mention something I've observed lately that a lot of the regular posters here are guilty of. A lot of the time when someone posts something, people who have no interest in that subject rather than pass over the thread feel the need to barge in and start flaming the original poster. This just degenerates a perfectly reasonable thread into a full blown flame fest that ends up being locked. If you don't like something and don't have a constructive non-offensive argument against it then pass over the thread, let it slip down the forum. Noone forces you to read it. A prime example of this (though I haven't seen many lately but can't think up a more recent example as with it being summer and all I don't read here as often) are Tisme's jokes. Some people don't mind them and actually find them a slightly diverting read, others don't and feel the need to flame her every time she posts.

Lastly, I think the main reason this forum is going down the pan is because BI (and similar people) don't post as much as they used to. They always seemed to get a laugh out of the worst of threads and rarely resorted to flaming people. The majority of people who post on here now seem to only be out to flame people rather than post something constructive or witty.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I understand that this is a tempest in a teacup and you're stiring it up

Adari

Part of the furniture
Oh yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not going to bother having more of these conversations, i think you've pretty much said what you wanted to say and I've prety much replied to your assumption and statements.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Shawr said:
I've been reading excal off topic since it was first created way back on the old BW forums though I've rarely posted here. Back then, Spamriderx and a few others took it as being the place where they could boost their post counts, spamming the entire forum with only smileys or single words for replies. There seemed (to me atleast) to be little or no modding or discipline taken (certainly no bans) and a closed thread was extremely rare indeed. Even on threads that were ranging into pages and pages of smileys alone. After a while however the main offenders calmed down (normally shortly after reaching forum deity status :p) and some semblance of sanity took over. I don't know whether this was due to them getting bored or some crack down by mods behind the scenes in the form of warning pms (I still don't remember seeing many closed threads at all or any bans either) or perhaps it no longer became the "cool" thing to do. Anyway, after that initial hickup it actually became a decently diverting forum to read (normally when I was supposed to be doing something else :p).

What was the point in that example? Well, I think what I was trying to say was that maybe the people who are suggesting a bit more leniancy have the right idea. Closing threads so rapidly and so frequently may seem like the efficient and effective way to stamp on what you see as bad behaviour but may actually be having the opposite effect. Closing so many and so fast might just be leading people to (rather than accepting that the decision was correct) fight back by making more and more useless threads. Whereas, if left to their own devices the majority of useless and uninteresting threads will just slip harmlessly down the forum.

Not to unfairly try to suggest that all the problems in this forum of late are due to mods being overly strict I'll mention something I've observed lately that a lot of the regular posters here are guilty of. A lot of the time when someone posts something, people who have no interest in that subject rather than pass over the thread feel the need to barge in and start flaming the original poster. This just degenerates a perfectly reasonable thread into a full blown flame fest that ends up being locked. If you don't like something and don't have a constructive non-offensive argument against it then pass over the thread, let it slip down the forum. Noone forces you to read it. A prime example of this (though I haven't seen many lately but can't think up a more recent example as with it being summer and all I don't read here as often) are Tisme's jokes. Some people don't mind them and actually find them a slightly diverting read, others don't and feel the need to flame her every time she posts.

Lastly, I think the main reason this forum is going down the pan is because BI (and similar people) don't post as much as they used to. They always seemed to get a laugh out of the worst of threads and rarely resorted to flaming people. The majority of people who post on here now seem to only be out to flame people rather than post something constructive or witty.

I agree with Shawr.

Well said :)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I dont post much on EOT, but it is the forum I read the most when at work bored. Alot of the stuff is crap but in my opinion thats what its all about, its no different to the RvR section which is 90% total bollocks, flaming and spam. If your gonna ban someone do it stop dicking around and banning them for 2 weeks, especially the people constantly doing the same crap over and over.

I believe the mods do a good job, but do make things a tad worse by closing threads immediatley. If I look in a thread and its got 3 posts of smilies or ImCATAhAHAHaHAHeeee I dont read it again its as simple as that.

I also cant get my head around Adari's new found grown up attitude, your a child ffs act like it :m00: . You do realise you'll be out of your self promoted job if the EoT goes down dont you, after all you only got the mod position for that forum alone because you made yourself out to be the answer to the problem on EoT, guess you've just proved everyone that doubted you right and yourself wrong?

Well to sum it up keep EoT just ban the repeating offenders for good, and take some posts with a pinch of salt.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Oh dear....oh dear oh dear.

Well you bloody fools have most likely sealed this forums fate as Gunz pointed out many pages ago.

Sib was right, this aint a patch on the old eOT, I used to spam on the odd occasion back in the old days and the threads were generally fun. Sib discussing good places to have lunch near where he works in BRX with other randoms for example.

Now its 90% flame war and 10% crap/old/recycled drivel, and the other 0% (numbers rounded :D) is interesting.

There WAS a chance eOT could survive, but that chance has been diminishing with nearly every post in this thread since Deebs' original one.

I for one wont really miss it, iv gone off eOT recently just full of shit, much more fun spamming elsewhere.

To those that cannot seem to get it into their heads that posting worthless 1 liners is NOT the same as an offtopic post, you deserve to get banned - but because its gone to far the forum is gone.

I admit iv spammed pretty badly and had a few threads closed (for obvious reasons) but it aint a patch on teh bollocks that gets locked day in day out by the people who cannot seem to learn.

I dont really care what oyu do with the forum Deebs, preferably dont close it because then these scunthorpe residents will need somewhere else to post!

Bye guys, pity this aint BW eh?

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Chilly said:
Well you bloody fools have most likely sealed this forums fate as Gunz pointed out many pages ago.
So? This forum sucks! It's a lose lose situation in my opinion, so whats the use of joining the horde of people pointing fingers and taking the moral highground or analysing everything to death and creating sides, when its far more fun to act like a moron!
Chilly said:
I dont really care what oyu do with the forum Deebs, preferably dont close it because then these scunthorpe residents will need somewhere else to post!
I disagree, the old skool krew innit mostly don't play DAoC anymore - and most dont post here anymore anyway. Closing the forum would more than likely just make us all bugger off for good, which may, in fact, be a good thing :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
fair point BI i was just a bit pissed after reading 5 pages of drivel, i think perhaps most people dont care if eOT closes anyway.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Ok so I'm apathetic towards being apathetic about this now...

So, time for a long rambly post in which I discuss the in's and out's of an online forum which means very little to real people with real lives. Here goes.

The closure of this forum has been pretty inevitable really, for at least the past month or so. The big mods have always had a bee in their bonnet about us since the move, and the way we've acted recently has given them excuse enough to reign down firebolts. Now i agree that we always retaliate to these firebolts. Instead of saying 'crikey, lets be sensible and get indoors' we say 'AHA! If I throw rocks high enough I can break the clouds that do this!'. This is yet to work.

The main reason I think for this forum being so utterly crap is that we are all under some grand illusion that bw eOT was paradise. It wasn’t. We didn't get away with murder and we didn't have pages of utterly witty and brilliant posts... In fact it was pretty similar. Only there was a more lapse stance towards it and so we did it in a friendly way, here we are perhaps a bit more hostile when our artwork and great literature is closed/deleted.

Now... as for the 14 year old mentally challenged drama queen.. He means well, and he cares about this forum. Plus I do genuinely believe that he got himself the job as eOT mod because he wanted to make it better, not because he wanted to show off and look cool and get exciting privileges and access to a shiny mod forum.

Also I like the idea that this forum has deteriorated more since I got a bit of a life and posted less, I think that’s a damn good theory, nice one lessurl! :D

Oh and:
Adari has been a good mod and it is not at all his fault that this forum is verging on deletion, in fact he is one of the few people who has actually tried to do something about it

It’s been nice knowing you all, I doubt I'll see you around much.

You may now go in peace, young ones.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Bi, you cant go out like that...

...you've got fucking tin foil wrapped round your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom