your win7 experiences?

Chilly

Balls of steel
I've got a copy of ultimate for sale too if anyone wants. Dont have the physical media but have ISOs and a legit serial for it (got it from the microsoft employee store while I was in seattle). 64 + 32 versions.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yes, it is the retail version, it has both the 64 bit and 32 bit DVD's in the box.

Ok luv let me ponder on it for a year or 7. If Vista keeps winding me the fuck up like it did yesterday I may well have it off you. How come its for sale, have you not used it/the serial already?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ok luv let me ponder on it for a year or 7. If Vista keeps winding me the fuck up like it did yesterday I may well have it off you. How come its for sale, have you not used it/the serial already?

Ended up with 3 copies due to fuck ups at Amazon and ebuyer. I ended up using 2 as I upgraded my main PC and little ickle laptop. So one is sealed and unused still, no profit, £90 is what I paid for it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I had a bad experience when doing my install. I took a image of my XP install, blatted the drive and put 7 on it. I then mounted the image from within 7 (using acronis) but encountered some absurd permissions logic. Win7 wouldnt let me read the files in my winXP user my docs folders. I couldnt even take ownership of the files to set appropriate permissions.

I even tried running explorer as admin, didnt do shit. Frankly, it's bullshit and clearly broken - I followed about 20 different guides. How can an operating system be so shit that it wont let you read files on your own machine? Needless to say I restored my XP image.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
How can an operating system be so shit that it wont let you read files on your own machine? Needless to say I restored my XP image.

yus. this is one of the three things I have against Windows in general.

dunno if you tried this, but you may have been able to get around it by copying the files to your main box through a running *nix virtual machine.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I didnt try that, no. My plan is (whenever I feel bored enough) zip/rar/whatever up the files and then put win7 back on and extract them. The process of compression will destroy ownership (hopefully). Or I could do it via a network share. I'm just upset I cant edit any file I like on my own hard drive. I *really* want a real root account.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, an Ubuntu live CD is handy in these situations but that is pretty lame that you'd have to resort to that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone tried the photos screensaver on Windows 7? I'm trying it here and it's totally shite, none of the fadey swishiness of Vista. Just photo, new photo, new photo etc.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Yes, just tried it now. Agree it's utter garbage, back to ribbons then. I do like the auto wallpaper changer though

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Kind of tied in to my usual Windows 7 updates I must say now I've got it working how I'd like I am quite impressed with Ubuntu. I'm still on Jaunty Jackalope but everything is running smoothly - probably better than it ran in 7 in fairness. In fact I'd almost go as far as to say it's almost as good as Vista.

(I like Vista, so shuusht. It does everything I ask unlike that twat in the gym's idea of an OS)

Plus of course, wobbly windows > stretchy taskbars. Any day.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ubuntu is a damned good all round OS. Easy to use for anyone not lacking in common sense although administration is a touch more difficult, which is not surprising. Then again, silver surfers shouldn't be touching them things ;)

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
Vista is great, and anyone who likes 7 but not Vista clearly is lacking anything even resembling a clue.

Vista was shit because of the resources it needed and UAC was a disaster (albeit less of a disaster with SP1). I hated Vista for those two reasons but I love Win 7 - I can install it on my Netbook with a 1.6 Atom / 1GB Ram and it runs no problem while Vista made the machine shit itself.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ubuntu is a damned good all round OS. Easy to use for anyone not lacking in common sense although administration is a touch more difficult, which is not surprising. Then again, silver surfers shouldn't be touching them things ;)
Which is why Linux Mint is even better, cos it comes with the missing bits (codecs, etc) so you don't have to hunt for them.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Vista was shit because of the resources it needed and UAC was a disaster (albeit less of a disaster with SP1). I hated Vista for those two reasons but I love Win 7 - I can install it on my Netbook with a 1.6 Atom / 1GB Ram and it runs no problem while Vista made the machine shit itself.

Yes UAC was a disaster. However this got turned off a day after I bought this notebook, 14 months later Vista is still going strong. As for the hardware requirements, meh. Stop being a pikey and buy a decent pootah!

soze

I am a FH squatter
I had a bad experience when doing my install. I took a image of my XP install, blatted the drive and put 7 on it. I then mounted the image from within 7 (using acronis) but encountered some absurd permissions logic. Win7 wouldnt let me read the files in my winXP user my docs folders. I couldnt even take ownership of the files to set appropriate permissions.

I even tried running explorer as admin, didnt do shit. Frankly, it's bullshit and clearly broken - I followed about 20 different guides. How can an operating system be so shit that it wont let you read files on your own machine? Needless to say I restored my XP image.

If you have a password set on your Windows XP User this is to be expected why should it let you take a disk from one machine and take password protected files onto another? If you did not have a password though it is abit stupid.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If you have a password set on your Windows XP User this is to be expected why should it let you take a disk from one machine and take password protected files onto another? If you did not have a password though it is abit stupid.

fuck that, why should one PC care about another's password? As it happens, there was no password. I fully subscribe to the "if im admin, anything on my disks is mine".

Gray

FH is my second home
Upto now ive been using Win7, and apart from a few niggles it has been okay.

However tonight i decided to fix a few of these niggles and its good.

I am confused on one current thing though: Previous Windows version(s). I did a disk cleanup earlier when i noticed "Previous Windows Installations" (Which was Windows XP).

The file was sat at 22gb, that is a huuuuge amount really and i want to know if i can delete it. Disk Cleanup give the option to be able too, but i was unsure if it was wise too. I have no interest in WinXP now so its just wasted space which would probably make things smoother.

Secondly, bootup speed. In WinXP/00/98 etc you could edit the boot.ini and make the boot speed from 30 seconds to something quicker... I believe this option has been removed now, or has it? 30 seconds is excessive, id prefer a much lower number.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
30 Seconds was a "how long to wait" timer if you had a boot menu afair.

Control Panel -> System & Maintenance -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery ("Settings")

Gray

FH is my second home
Ohh yes, the timer is reduced now. Lot simpler than editting files it seems.

But now im wondering about the previous XP installation which Win7 has seemingly gone over the top of.

Is it safe to just delete it or is there a certain proceedure to assure it doesnt screw up the botting of Win7?

Ah just checked Microsoft.com, seems you can just delete the Windows.old file normally or via DiskCleanup. Woo.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Finally installed it last night, definitely quicker, but otherwise doesn't feel very different to Vista. Only problem I have now is I can't update NOD32 as I emailed the twats for my pw details and they haven't got back to me.

Going to install win7 on my XP machines tonight, which I understand is a bit trickier.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My preference would be a completely new install rather than going over the top of Windows XP...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just use MS security essentials gaffer, it's actually quite good and free.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My preference would be a completely new install rather than going over the top of Windows XP...

You actually have to do that with XP according to the instructions I have. I've been running around digging out old application disks before I start.

Just use MS security essentials gaffer, it's actually quite good and free.

Yeah, but I have a NOD32 licence up until next March so I'll be buggered if I'll just let it go. I do like NOD as well, not intrusive at all.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I am confused on one current thing though: Previous Windows version(s). I did a disk cleanup earlier when i noticed "Previous Windows Installations" (Which was Windows XP).

The file was sat at 22gb, that is a huuuuge amount really and i want to know if i can delete it. Disk Cleanup give the option to be able too, but i was unsure if it was wise too. I have no interest in WinXP now so its just wasted space which would probably make things smoother.

yes you can delete that. i did it when i installed the RC client and i havent had any problems yet.

i didnt even use disc cleanup for that. i just shift + del it :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
fuck that, why should one PC care about another's password? As it happens, there was no password. I fully subscribe to the "if im admin, anything on my disks is mine".

Because its supposed to secure your data what good are passwords if all you would need is a USB to Sata adaptor to get round security?

But as it was not passworded its just silly i agree.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If you dont want people with physical access getting your data your ONLY option is to encrypt it, anything else is a waste of time. "Features" like this only lead to stupid beliefs by ignorant users that their data is safe as long as its "passworded". Personally I think it's a bug.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you dont want people with physical access getting your data your ONLY option is to encrypt it, anything else is a waste of time. "Features" like this only lead to stupid beliefs by ignorant users that their data is safe as long as its "passworded". Personally I think it's a bug.

For you maybe. The basic password protection is good enough for your average household shared computer. Sure it can be broken if you know how but most people don't. Plus if you use encryption and windows dies, getting your files back becomes impossible (as far as I know). Just because something doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it has no use.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Isn't there a program on the windows disk called "easy transfer" or something like that? A guy at work said its been on the disks since windows xp and is perfect for transfering data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom