your win7 experiences?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Isn't there a program on the windows disk called "easy transfer" or something like that? A guy at work said its been on the disks since windows xp and is perfect for transfering data.

Called the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP and you are correct the Easy Transfer Wizard in 7. And yeah you just copy the file to the XP machine run the Wizard to a removable disk Install 7 and run the Wizard again to import it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Biggest problem I'm having now is with my wireless adapters. I have Netgear W111 USB adapters (because there weren't any decent Wireless N PCI cards around when I bought the router) and lo and behold, Netgear haven't gotten around to updating to support Win 7 64 bit yet. There are a couple of workarounds discussed online, but they ain't happening for me. Pain in the arse tbh and Netgear should be ashamed of themselves, its not like the Win 7 beta wasn't around for ages.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sure you can't fool it by loading an alternate driver Gaff?

DaGaffer

sure you can't fool it by loading an alternate driver Gaff?

Tried that - it was one of the workarounds I found online. It made the PC recognise the adapter, but the router still says no. There's a firmware update available for the router, so I'll give that a go next but I'm not getting my hopes up as success seems pretty mixed online. Netgear just keep saying "come back weekly for updates" which is pretty poor.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
When you say the router says no - how do you mean? You can't connect to it?

Have you tried disabling security temporarily to see if that works, changing the wireless channel and all that jazz?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Unless your router is also a netgear and they have done something stupid in their driver code that has the dongle log in to the router in some special and broken way, there shouldn't be issues :(

how about setting an IP manually and pinging the router and stuff, does that work?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Gaff, not sure from your post if you mean Win7 cannot talk to your wireless card, or if you mean the wireless card cannot see your wireless router.

One of the traps with wireless is that by default Vista and Win7 cannot see hidden wireless routers, you need to set to "Connect even if not broadcasting", after you've created the connection. Not sure if this is a factor here, but worth checking if you have set your wireless router to not broadcast its SSID. When I have any headaches with this I sometimes set my wireless router to broadcast while I'm troubleshooting then once I've nailed the problem, change it back so it is no longer broadcasting its SSID.

No idea if I'm even in the ballpark for your problem but hope this helps.

DaGaffer

Gaff, not sure from your post if you mean Win7 cannot talk to your wireless card, or if you mean the wireless card cannot see your wireless router.

One of the traps with wireless is that by default Vista and Win7 cannot see hidden wireless routers, you need to set to "Connect even if not broadcasting", after you've created the connection. Not sure if this is a factor here, but worth checking if you have set your wireless router to not broadcast its SSID. When I have any headaches with this I sometimes set my wireless router to broadcast while I'm troubleshooting then once I've nailed the problem, change it back so it is no longer broadcasting its SSID.

No idea if I'm even in the ballpark for your problem but hope this helps.

Nah, the router is fine - as I said, with Win 7 32 bit it connects fine; its the drivers for 64 bit that don't seem to work properly. Why, I have no idea, but it doesn't work with the Netgear software or with standard windows wifi connection.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Put off posting this till i've had time to settle in. I ran on the beta tests for a while. Then later decided to go with a full upgrade of all my systems to 7, well all but 1, don't think an old p3 1 gig with 300 odd meg of ram going to handle it.

Updated my laptop and main box to 7 ultimate. Could of gone Pro for what I use but I like the "Ultimate" tag :p Windows Virtual PC is realy nice. I do a fair bit of "lab" work. Testing software updates and such like. I find the XP mode nice, a "freebie" Windows XP Sp3 enviroment is always handy to have to hand. My labs can be dismantled and setup with ease. Not much different over Virtual PC 2007, but i do like the layout better and quicker access to my VM's via the taskbar pinned Windows Virtual PC shortcut is realy sweet. Just need to finish importing my VM's and I should be good for anything there.

Power setting were a bit annoying in default. But a quick tweak and new settings list sortted that out. My main box is on almost 24/7 and I access it from my laptop from home and when am out and about. I have a button on the front of my monitor to turn that off and i want my usb's and network adapters to stay on when machines on.

Never had 1 problem installing on main box. Sata was sdetected correctly. Raid was identified (wasn't in beta, had to force vista drivers in), Instalation went fast and smooth. All hardware was picked up and installed, even my ageing printer (Epson RX500). As for the laptop. That was another story. As its getting on a bit. The video card wasn't picked up and with it having an intel chipset and intel refusing to up the drivers to support later operating systems, prefering you to spend money and buy a new laptop instead, my short cursing and internet search started. Luckily I was useing 32bit on lappy so it was a simple fix to force it to take vista drivers in XP mode as administrator (3 OS's. 1 graphics card :p). Might be only thing 32 bit has over 64 bit. Taking unsigned drivers.

Boot time is within aceptable times. Not as fast as XP, not as slow as Vista. About 30 secs from power on to OS. So thats fine. Start up list propagates pretty fast tho, CCleaner fixed that one. So thats ok.

Laptop dual boots with ubuntu 9.10 which I prefer most of the time. RDC pulls me back to windows when I need it. I like it more in windows then in linux. Am funny like that ;). 1 thing gets me tho. I boot into linux. Can access my 7 partition and chop/change/edit files within that area through linux. But getting windows to do the samewith the ext file system is proving more difficult then its probably worth. I'll just drop/take any crap I need on to the ntfs side from linux.

Interface is errr... OK. Doesn't read my mind yet so not much chance of it living up to expectations. Themes are nice and as am actualy using them it must prove something as I'd noramly just have classic theme up.

Next up is wifes PC. How i hate that thing. Machines hardware is nice. Good specs. Easily run 7, just my wifes been on it. So lots of crap on it i'll have to reinstall. Could go upgrade path. But I'd prefer it fresh and nice. Just means am going to spend that next 3 months replacing all them stupid bits of software she uses once in a blue moon.

Now some hates.

Control panel. ^&(^&* of crap. Takes stupid amounts of time to dig down to where i want to be and as its new, am not sure if hitting this bit takes me to where i want to be. Give back xp control panel layout :). I'll learn it. Just a bit annoying right now.

Network manager. Stupid annoyance this. It works and I know how to use it, know how to drill down to what I need. Know what its displaying and why. I just hate it. It's like that bloke you meet for the first time and can't explain why you don't like him. He's a nice enougth bloke and everything but deep down you just errr.... feel wierd about him.

Round up.

I like 7. It works. Not found anything I need it for that it can't handle. Am glad I held off from upgrading to Vista. Now I can skip vista certs and do something usefull. 70-680 here i come :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think you'd really have issues on the P3 tbh, not if you turn all the useless Aero shit off, which W7 should do itself.

DaGaffer

Update. Netgear issued a software upgrade today so now everything is groovy.

Is anyone experiencing slow boot up with Win7 though? I've had it a couple of times but doesn't seem to be a consistent thing.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nope, no different than before. Unless you've got shitty AV software, apparently theres a fairly common bug where bad AV stuff makes Win mark the disc with a "dirty" flag and forces a check on boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom