Your Screen Resolution

E

Embattle

Originally posted by (Shovel)
It's an Iiyama VMPro 454, 19" :) It's a lovely, lovely monitor, though it is a bit of a bitch to lug around to uni and back :)

I have that monitor, the most recent one with improved brightness :)

J

Jonty

Thanks for the information, throdgrain :D Just out of interest, are there any dead pixels or very faint vertical or horizontal lines always present on the screen? I was recently reading an article where I was fairly shocked to learn manufacturers have a threshold which they deem acceptable when it comes to this sort of thing. Personally I'd be really annoyed if there were any such imperfections on my screen :(

As for running games at higher resolutions, yes, it will impact on performance. By how much depends on the resolution used and, of course, on your graphics card and system setup.

Kind Regards

T

throdgrain

My picture seems fine to me I must say, certainly don't notice anything like that Jonty.
Will, my gfx card is a GF4 4400, which Im getting fed up of, higher res on say, BF1942 certainly reduces frame rate. I guess its the old Quake player outlook, i just want fast ! :)

S

Scooba Da Bass

Dual 1600*1200 at 100 mhz on my main pc. 1280 * 1024 on the 'family' machine. God knows what the laptop runs at.

J

Jonty

Thanks for the info again, throdgrain :D It wasn't particular to that monitor, but still, it put me off a bit thinking you could be left with a dodgy screen. Glad everything's alright with you, though :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Nice setup, Scooba :D

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Jonty
P.S. Nice setup, Scooba :D

It was jolly decent of work to 'lend' me a matched pair of Sony 21" monitors.

R

Rubber Bullets

No one runs same res as me for some reason.

1280x960 here on monitor 1 and 1152x864 on monitor 2.

1280x1024 makes my pictures all squashy in photoshop.

s

S

(Shovel)

I believe that 1240x960 is actually the "correct" aspect ratio, while 1240x1024 is different?

F

FatBusinessman

Yes, correct. 1280x960 is the "standard" 4:3 aspect ratio, while 1280x1024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio.

R

Rubber Bullets

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
Yes, correct. 1280x960 is the "standard" 4:3 aspect ratio, while 1280x1024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio.

Exactly, but displayed on a 4:3 screen. This means that at 1280x1024 the pixels must be rectangular instead of square. This is why photos are distorted.

The strange thing is that it is the 1280x1024 res that is meant to be 'optimum' and also the one that most people run. Why is this when it make images look odd?

s

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

It doesnt make it look odd... At least not for me. tbh <100 pixels doesnt make a difference.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I just put it on 1280x960 and well maybe its because i'm used to what it looks like on 1280x1024 but it looks stretched like this.

J

Jonty

Depending on the monitor, you may be able to alter the geometry settings and such to compensate for any distortion. But it can be all very subjective, what's distorted to one person is fine to another :)

Kind Regards

F

FatBusinessman

Oddly enough, on 1280x1024 on my machine, a square image in Photoshop is pretty much square on the monitor. (Give or take 5%)

It shouldn't be, but it is. Just goes to show...

W

wolfeeh

resolution

on this laptop, 1024*768
other laptop, 1024*768
my sister's main desktop, 1280*1024
my main desktop, 1280*1024
my sister's other desktop, 1600*1200
my other desktop, 1600*1200
my iMac, 1400*900

(i include my sister's because i actually own them all anyway, she just uses them...)

J

Jonty

Thanks wolfeeh, and everyone else, for their time :)

Kind Regards

D

danger

running 1024x768@85htz

I tried running 1280x1024 and tbh much prefered that res but at 60htz (max refresh rate available on this old 17" CRT :() I started to get serious eye strain so I'm back at said resolution... been meaning to get a TFT for ages but at the end of the day there's always something I want just that bit more.

H

Happy Go Lucky

i was running 1024x768 at a nice 85Hz, I now use 1280x960 at 70Hz which is just about bearable. Try it!

Users who are viewing this thread