Your hardware, bf2 settings and 3dmark05

Bellona

Banned
Hi all

I dont think my computer is THAT bad, but it really seems to have some issues with the cooperation between the hardware, I have a 2.8Ghz P4 northwood, 1GB pc3200 ddr ram, and a temp. graphicscard, GeForce 5900 because my radeon 9800 pro burned off, but changed psu, mobo etc since.

I score only 1059 in 3dmark05

I have awful stuttering in the game/combat

and very long load times, even due to having a 10k rpm raptor sata disc

I run the game at medium settings

can anyone point out any faults/issues that I might have overlooked, and please post your hardware stats, game performance and 3dmark05 score if you have tried that :)

sig.png

Embattle

FH is my second home
Load times don't seem to ever have much relation to computer power, this was also the case in the previous BF games......but often a patch arrives at a later date that improves load times.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Load times in most games have little to do with computer power and all to do with Hard Drive speed, which with a raptor should be speeded up, but I think its just this game takes f'ing ages to load :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
The hard drive is a component of computer power, however it is the most relevent part although things like ram follow closely behind.....although as I previously stated BF games have always had loading issues which can be very annoying.

Poag

m00?
I'm on

4000+ AMD 64
1 GIG 3200 Ram
a X850XT
And a pair of 10krpm drives

All my setting on high with draw range on 95% get about 80 fps in firefights
Gives me longer load times but once its all loaded...it loooks GOOOD!

Not run 3dmark since i got the new rig put together.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
3600+ AMD
1 Gig ram
Western Digital IDE HD (so not 10krpm)
Gainward 6800 Ultra

huge load times ;), and about 50-60 fps. But anything above 40 you dont notice ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
AMD 3500-64 , Asus 6800GT, 2 gig Corsair ram, 2mb adsl .
I play everything on high except dynamic shadows (off) and textures (medium).
I really resent having textures on medium to be honest, but it does improve the gameplay a lot, so Ill have to put up with it. :( 2 gig of ram makes a big difference, as I believe BF2 uses about 1.6 gb if it can.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Brynn said:
3600+ AMD
1 Gig ram
Western Digital IDE HD (so not 10krpm)
Gainward 6800 Ultra

huge load times ;), and about 50-60 fps. But anything above 40 you dont notice ;)

(edit) 5200 3dmark05, 5600 with some oc-ing

crap didn't realise I quoted it :(

Might buy some more ram, however how do i find out the spec of the stuff I have just now. I bought it 8 months ago and cant remember what it was :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
AMD3400 64

1 GIG DDR 400 RAM

256MB RADEON 9800

400 GIG 10K ATA

running all settings on high but no shadows or AA (AA just doesn't make a diff)

the only long loading times i get are when i change settings and it has to load it all in.

once that is done my loading times are less then 10 seconds and im always first in game and first to the chopper haha :D

I have to say the 9800pro is great for this game i don't know many people who have a256mb though if my pro burns out i'll just get another there cheap as hell atm.

btw Bellona pentiums suck for gaming wish people would realise this now :m00:

Bellona

Banned
Aada said:
AMD3400 64

btw Bellona pentiums suck for gaming wish people would realise this now :m00:

wrong indeed, hyper-threading was roxxor for playing daoc, which I did since eu release, running two clients ran smooth on HT, so it has really been cool to have ,though I no longer play that

sig.png

Aada

Part of the furniture
Brynn said:
manufacturer? how much that set you back too? :p

no idea came with my rig :)

my rig cost less then 1k

although i'm thinking of upgrading already again :( if i don't upgrade im defo getting 2 gig of ddr 500 ram

thinking of getting a new graphics card too just for the hell of it, but like i said my card runs every game i have great, i don't like nvidia (don't ask why since ive been radeon i haven't looked back)

But i dont fancy getting a card i have to hook up to my power supply which is the case with some radeon cards now

Bellona

Banned
Aada said:
no idea came with my rig :)
But i dont fancy getting a card i have to hook up to my power supply which is the case with some radeon cards now

you wont find much high end cards (new ones), that doesnt require an extra powersupply, you simply cant run a chip taking 100W+ through the motherboard, it will burn off the north/south brigde that controls pci-e/agp slots

so its not a matter of just consuming more power, but motherboards just cant supply those kinda powermungers :D

Athan

Resident Freddy
And not only do some cards take one HDD power connector, some apparently take TWO. Not that I've seen such a beast myself, but the manual for my (now returned and refund issued due to being faulty in first 28 days) GF 6600 GT said this was the case with the 6800 Ultra version. Even specified you needed to use plugs from separate cables for it.

*ouch*.

So, how long before you have to get an entire separate PSU for your video card :p ?

As for the original poster's 3dmark score, I can only think it's the 5900. I believe my gf4ti4800 gets around 1200 in an otherwise lesser system. AMD64 3000+, 1GB DDR-400 RAM and GF 6600 GT gets around 4200.

-Ath

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My 6800GT takes two power cables. I know most dont, but my Asus one does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom