Your Face Or Mine?

D

Damini

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3259773.stm

Ok, ok, so I understand that if someone is seriously disfigured this will completely change their life and its a stupid human emotional response to be squirmish about it all, but the way I've grown up on a diet of horror films it all works a bit like this - If someone is wearing a dead persons face, they are something to hit with a stick and run away from.

I just don't know if I could see this happening. I mean, imagine looking in the mirror and having a dead person's face look back at you. Obviously it won't be identical because of the underlying bone structure, but still pretty damned close.

And what if they transfer a really ugly dead person's face to you? Will there be an attractiveness gauge before you are allowed to be a donor?

"I'm sorry Mrs Deen, but we've just going to scrub "face donor" off your donor card. We think it would actually punish the recipient."

What do you guys think? Any of you willing to donate your face after you are dead (*waiting for Wij to make a Wijism about that*). Would you be willing to wear someone elses face if yours got eaten by raccoons while you slept?

X

xane

You keep saying "dead persons face", but the reality is, if you get a transplant then unless you bump into one of your doner's relatives or friends, its basically just a new face and not really dead anymore.

People with serious disfigurements will benefit hugely, so no matter how gross the medical science seems, it was originally done to benefit someone. I remember the story about monkeys being able to control robot limbs with their brains, which sounds creepy but would be a lifeline to people with paralysis.

D

Damini

I think monkeys controlling robotic limbs is astoundingly cool, and not creepy at all. If I was to own my own factory, I'd want psychic robot monkeys all the way.

I keep saying dead person's face because at the core of it, thats the bit that's so weird and a little odd. Human's sense of identity is tied up in that, hence the whole doppelganger stories through the years, and wrapping my head around the concept that when I die someone else could be peering at my reflection is a little odd.

There's also something quite macabre about it, just on the level of death masks and so on.

W

Will

It would be bizarre for us to think about having our faces changed, but most people here (I assume) don't have the need for a face transplant. If there is a medical need for it, and it is possible, I don't see why it shouldn't be done.

Though I think finding donors would be hard. You'd be a closed casket after that donation.

X

xane

The "human sense of identity" is what makes us say "hey its the guy who fell out the ugly tree and hit all the branches on the way down", thus creating the social disfigurement as well.

If you have a face transplant then you get a problem solved, the same way you get an artificial leg and can use stairs again, problems caused by social concepts are every bit as debilitating as physical ones.

I worked with a guy who had a protruding jawline, a disfigurement that would actually cause problems in later life with swallowing and breathing, so he had his jaw bone sawn up and the jaw reset back, changed his entire face, but after he was still the same guy and nothing had really changed.

S

Sichama

Technically it's nothing different from every other surgery of this kind, but there is a part in out brain dedicated to identifying faces, the instant we see a face we can identify there are so many things that spring in action in our mind, emotions, memories, and we instinctly react to them, so i guess there are questions about this.
Now is this such a big problem that should deny from someone the oportunity to improve his life i would say no.

And a last though that occured to me is... what would the face price for this operation be?...:)

L

L_Plates

Im with damini on this one. Your face is your face.

I can see the good points for people with disfigured faces but we all know in 10-15 years they will be selling them like they do false tits !!

And thats sad !!

W

whipped

As long as they only use the faces of the recently dead I've no problems with it.

I mean, you don't want to see someone walking down the street with a decomposing face now do you?

W

Will

Originally posted by L_Plates

I can see the good points for people with disfigured faces but we all know in 10-15 years they will be selling them like they do false tits !!

And thats sad !!
But you can buy a sack of saline/silicon. You would need to kill someone to take their face.

So you are talking nonsense.

S

Sichama

Well there have been reports of crimes commited around transplants, organ buying and selling, even murder so its not so dificult to assume it could happen for face transplants also....except that i couldn't think of something more incriminating than going around with the face of a murder victim. :)

Oh and if done right plastic tits are fine...in fact even better than the flesh ones....

S

Sar

Originally posted by Sichama

Oh and if done right plastic tits are fine...in fact even better than the flesh ones....

Wrong!

L

L_Plates

Originally posted by Will
But you can buy a sack of saline/silicon. You would need to kill someone to take their face.

So you are talking nonsense.

No, im saying they would be asking people to leave there faces to the medical bods so they can use them in the future.

So when they have stocked up they can sell em.

Sounds sick but i bet it happens.

L

L_Plates

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Sar
Wrong!

AGREED !!!

X

xane

And thats sad !!

Thats just such a fucking stupid argument, like as used by those religious nuts opposed to human cloning on any scale.

Any medical benefit can get out of hand, but I don't give a damn if that same benefit can give people some semblance of a normal life back. Some people need to experience what it is like to live with horrible disfigurements, disabilities and diseases before they realise that it does not really matter if the benefits are abused.

W

Will

Well there have been reports of crimes commited around transplants, organ buying and selling, even murder so its not so dificult to assume it could happen for face transplants also....except that i couldn't think of something more incriminating than going around with the face of a murder victim. :)
Yes it is. I'm sorry, but I can't see organised gangs going around offing people to steal their faces and transplant them onto other people. Its just silly.

L

L_Plates

Originally posted by xane
Thats just such a fucking stupid argument, like as used by those religious nuts opposed to human cloning on any scale.

Any medical benefit can get out of hand, but I don't give a damn if that same benefit can give people some semblance of a normal life back. Some people need to experience what it is like to live with horrible disfigurements, disabilities and diseases before they realise that it does not really matter if the benefits are abused.

Im not saying im against it , i just think it needs to be properly controled from the start !

W

Will

No, im saying they would be asking people to leave there faces to the medical bods so they can use them in the future.

So when they have stocked up they can sell em.

Sounds sick but i bet it happens.
And I think you're talking nonsense.

M

Munkey-

joy! now they can transplant the face of some international terrorist upon me and plant me deep into a cover-group, only to have that terrorist to steal my face and use it against me!

L

L_Plates

And I think you're talking nonsense.

And i know thats my opinion and the above is yours, so we agree to disagree.

E

ECA

I have a large facial scar, I chose not to have it lasered.

Its quite unnoticeable and adds to the character of my face.

My gf didnt even notice it until I pointed it out then she played with it for a few mins and said *cute*.

:D

Your face is who you are. Don't mess.

W

Will

But this is to be done for medical reasons, it isn't cosmetic surgery. You won't be able to go into a doctors and get a more attractive face, but serious burns victims (for example) will be able to have a transplant, which will help both their self-esteem, and thier ability to function in society. I can't see what is wrong with that.

W

WPKenny

I think the weirdest thing would be to walk down the street and see the face of your dead friend walking past you on someone else's body.

F

Flamin_Squirrel

Its Face Off happening all over again /o\

L

L_Plates

But this is to be done for medical reasons, it isn't cosmetic surgery.

------------------------------------------

And thats sad !!

Will i said that but you ignored it and picked on me.

:(

*sulks*

W

Will

I was talking about your second point being nonsense.:p

W

Will

Also, you used a "but", so your sentence reads as "It would be a good idea, but we can't do it because people will abuse it", which I thought was a little silly.

So stop sulking, foo'.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread