Help Yet another "I'm upgrading and need advice" threads!

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Ello. :)

I'm off to a LAN party on Friday night and decided it's time to give my machine a bit of a boost.

It's currently got a sort of halfway house of hardware.
From memory it's got:

BFG NVIDIA 7800GS AGP graphics
ASROCK 4CORE dual sata type thingy (the one with both AGP and PCI-E but it's only 4x PCI-E)
2 x 1gig sticks of OCZ DDRII 800mhz ram
480w TAGAN PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo 4400 (i think) currently running stable at around 2.8ghz

I also have a random collection of about 4 HDD's ranging from IDE to SATAv1 from 120gig to 250 gig.

I was thinking of getting a 1TB 7200rpm HDD to lump all my data on to.

So my plan is to get a new mobo, new gfx card and MAYBE more memory and a big HDD.

I've been looking at defecting from 7 or 8 years of Nvidia and heading over to an ATI 4850.

Any suggestions? Oh and I'm lookng to buy it from where ever's cheaper, in stock and can get it to me in time for me to install it on thursday night so it's ready for me to game on straight after work on friday. :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, sounds like a good plan.

The 4850 is a fine card (this is the cheapest I could find). I'd suggest an Asus mobo, some variety of P5Q (maybe this one?). If you are after a Tb drive I still recommend the Hitachi one for performance. Any 2x2 PC6400 should do you, but these are pretty cheap.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Well I did it....

Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

and a

PowerColor HD 4850 PCS+ Edition 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Due to arrive tomorrow so I'll have a busy night tweaking and playing.

I nearly got a Logitech MX518 gaming mouse but changed my mind at the last minute. Also will keep my eyes open for any bargains on memory and HDD's.

I would have to install a 64bit OS if upgraded my ram so I'm sticking with just 2gig for now.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ok. Although you don't need a 64bit OS for 4Gb of Ram, you just won't be able to use 800Mb or so of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom