Yell.com

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I got a call today about putting my small web design business in Yell.com, it cost 350 quid a year which is quite a lot compared to my other website expenses, but if it gets me a lot more business it will be worth it. I'm wondering how many people actually use Yell.com to search for website designers rather than simply typing 'web site design in York' for instance into Google?

I don't know anything about Yell.com and how successful they are at getting people customers, obviously they told me I'd get loads more customers but I wonderd if anyone here knows more about it or has any opinions on the subject? :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

Personally I wouldn't bother just yet, not unless you're feeling flush. I'm sure Yell.com does very well (do you also get your name in the print version?) but ultimately I don't know of many people who would use the yellow pages to look for a web designer (then again, perhaps its just something I don't personally associate together).

If you're after business you may be better off signing up with one of these freelance project places, where you can either post your services for hire or browser and bid on projects which people have posted. I don't think they cost hundreds of pounds to join and you may get more work, especially more work suited to what you like doing. Alternatively, some design firms keep freelancers on their books and send clients their way and take a cut of the profits, they may be worth looking into too.

Ultimately, if you thing Yell.com is a good thing then go for it. However, they cannot guarantee you'll get business and for £350 per year that's quite a big outlay if little comes your way. Like I say, perhaps its just something I wouldn't think of doing if I were after a web designer, its just in my past experience reputation and previous work goes a long way in web design circles :)

Good luck with it all

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I would only use yell to find local shops, I really wouldn't bother for your business.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, what you both said. What are these freelance project places, I never saw those before? :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi maljonic

I don't want to recommend any of those services in particular as I have never had any direct experience with them, but if you search Google for freelance web designers or outsourcing etc. you should find a large selection.

The one's I've come across basically involved clients posting their projects on these websites and the designers offering a price to do it. The client then chooses the designer he prefers and the site gets a cut. To list your services as a designer usually costs, but as I say, I'm not sure how much.

Alternatively, other companies have lists of web designers on their books who they then match clients with. The benefit of this system is you don't have to bid, all the payment and legal stuff is taken care of, but you have to wait to be matched up as you don't bid on projects directly.

Good luck with it all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom