News Yanks worried by new Wikileaks disclosures

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They could try not committing war crimes for a bit...

georgie

FH is my second home
I'm not really sure we can take the moral high ground on that one. :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Usually I stand by wikileaks, but this could be too damaging.

It's the nature of any business to have confidential documents about competitors, allies etc. Friends talk about each other, and say things in confidence. It's not different with international relations. Those comments etc, are made in private not to be aired.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
is ANY information safe anymore?

If its not top-secret docs being leaked, or someone hacking into some govt system, its some stupid-arse MP or official leaving CD ROMs on trains

Reduce physical paper, surely? Commit to digital, but encrypt it heavily, so even if it does fall into the wrong hands, it can't be read?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
with how easy encryption is these days, it's a crime that anything like this is left/moved in a physical format.

There's just no need

liloe

It's my birthday today!
"I would hope that those who are responsible for this would, at some point in time, think about the responsibility that they have for lives that they're exposing," he said.

Haha, nice try to make people feel guilty. "We … ehm … surely made no mistakes or whatever, it's just …*ehm … think of the children!!!"

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well they have a point. Wikileaks does not only expose mistakes.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
is ANY information safe anymore?

If its not top-secret docs being leaked, or someone hacking into some govt system, its some stupid-arse MP or official leaving CD ROMs on trains

Reduce physical paper, surely? Commit to digital, but encrypt it heavily, so even if it does fall into the wrong hands, it can't be read?
All the info was taken from diplomatic cables

nothing but good imo, people should be held accountable

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Is looking like the Yanks have said some pretty fucked up things about it's closest allies in these documents, Britain in particular. Is going to be interesting to see what the details are but also the fallout. Sadly I don't see any good coming from it though and the Yanks are going to have alot of arse kissing to do.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
did anyone download their "insurance" file they put out? it's encrypted so you can't see it, but it could well be these documents enclosed, with thousands of people just waiting for a password there wont be much they can do to prevent it

injunctions are gay :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
It's going to be just like the previous leak, nothing happens. The American population will be just as badly misinformed about the seriously bad people running their country as they've always been.

European countries will be abit angry, but not angry enough to do anything since ties to the US economy is more important than what is right and wrong.

Countries like Iran will get demonized for saying that this is bullshit, making it even more likely that the US will "intervene" since clearly, Iran is insane.

It should be entertaining though. I'm guessing it's going to have lots of fun information on how the US is preventing democracies around the world because the status quo is better for profits, or maybe even supporting a few terrorist groups? it wouldn't be the first time.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack. (DDoS)
El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down"​

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack. (DDoS)
El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down"​

Aye the yanks look like they are getting ready to play hardball, hopefully someone takes them on in the courts just like Watergate.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If they yanks really are behind DDoS attacks then they are pretty stupid, it's coming out anyway.

I'd go for the tin hat theory here and say that another nation is behind the attacks, just to shame the yanks even more.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If they yanks really are behind DDoS attacks then they are pretty stupid, it's coming out anyway.

I'd go for the tin hat theory here and say that another nation is behind the attacks, just to shame the yanks even more.

That actually makes alot of sense.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
If the US military has made "devastating criticisms" of our army then it really must be bad !

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I blew up Aoln once and it really was friendly fire. :D

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I've read some of the cables concerning Germany this morning and it surely made my day. With all that kind of shit being public now, the US is gonna have a hard time justifying a few things and well, how they described high-ranking members of politics in Germany is quite insulting.

I must say I'm pretty amused at the moment and am looking forward to seeing all the reactions. What shocked me most was the general attitude of "enough compliments and they do whatever we want them to do".

Now the time has come to sit back and relax. *popcorn*

My brother has "Der Spiegel" at home, so sadly I'll have to wait for friday till I can read the article there, but the wikileaks site alone is a good read.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
One good thing that could come of this is that we aren't so quick to support America in any future illegal wars they have planned. They seem to be biting the hand that feeds them support wise.

Obviously these weren't meant to be leaked and I imagine we have similar files on foreign nations but it is extremely embarrassing for the US.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Half of today's edition of El Pais is dedicated to wikileaks. Some amazing reads there like the stuff about Sarkozy's movements being spied and all the Ghadaffi paranoia.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yeah, though i heard that while these were classified as "secret" nearly 3 million people had access to them through their own intranet?

doesnt seem that secret to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom