XP periodically locking up.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Okay, this is pretty unusual. Ever since working through the latest batch of MS updates, my XP machine has started randomly locking up. Everything freezes completely, and it then requires a hard reboot.

The only clue I've come across as to what's causing this: if I disable my network connection, the lockups still happen but the machine recovers after 6 or so seconds. I've scanned for viruses and spyware, and, as far as I can tell, am clean. I've also spent some 2 straight days running memtest86 without any errors or lockups.

I'm a little stumped. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, so that was a little short on detail, but I'm just wondering if anyone's come across anything like this recently.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Mmm good guess. Marvell Gigabit card onboard my Asus motherboard. I take it there's some issue with this make?

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Strange i've been getting somthing like this lately, well not reboot worthy,xp just seems to stop. Nothing loads of happends, taskman, start etc etc. Then after a while it just starts again... gets really pissing off sometimes.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Not a guess :)

I had this problem after installing a driver update along with the recent XP security patches. I fixed it by not using that network card at all (built into mobo) and using the NVIDIA one instead (also built into mobo). Doesn't happen anymore.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aha! we must all have the same mobo or something. I was wondering about this. at first I thought it was a stability issue with the 77.77 dets.

silly driver foolishness :eek:

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Incidentally, switching to a different network card did indeed totally fix it, so thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom