XP networking gayness

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hey folks. since a couple of days my XP game box refuses to connect to the smtp (mail) tcp port, number 25, on my unix box rendering my thunderbird install useless. all other machines on my network, a solaris10, freebsd, netbsd and scary firewall can *ALL* connect to port 25 on said box in order to send mail, yet the doze box refuses to do so.

this is doing my nut in, so please, please, please someone, tell me what's going on!!!!

ps. the doze box fails to connect both with and without winXP's "firewall" option.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Tried the obvious, ie: telnet yourunixbox 25 ?

If that works its just thunderbird being screwed up, if it doesnt its Windows ;)

TdC

yes, I've tried the obvious.

windows is just refusing to allow connections to anything TCP at port 25. it's allowing all other ports! just *NOT* 25!

NGGGGH!!! :eek:

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
This might help:

TCPView

Shows all the tcp processes.

Also use this to see if your system port 25 is blocked. I had a problem the other day with port 80 being blocked which was stopping my homeserver from being accessible from the web. Zone alarm had defaulted to a higher setting than I had set it after a forced restart. This allowed me to locate the problem.

Port checker

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Do you have anti-virus software running?
I had the same problem until I noticed McAfee Virusscanner was blocking ports 25 and 6666-6669 (irc)

TdC

oh my god. my (Mcafee) anti-virus was indeed blocking port 25. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! :eek:

Cyradix for teh win!

TdC

MKJ said:
This might help:

TCPView

Shows all the tcp processes.

Also use this to see if your system port 25 is blocked. I had a problem the other day with port 80 being blocked which was stopping my homeserver from being accessible from the web. Zone alarm had defaulted to a higher setting than I had set it after a forced restart. This allowed me to locate the problem.

Port checker

btw, MKJ, that TCPView thing is pretty nifty. I'll use that for a while just out of curiosity :)

TdC

yeah, that's what the proggy does for you, more or less :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
oh my god. my (Mcafee) anti-virus was indeed blocking port 25. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! :eek:
Uninstall it - its a complete pile of bollocks.

Take your pick of any other AV software, none of it is any worse in terms of doing silly stuff you dont want. In terms of actual scanning/update speeds McAfee is nothing special, so its not great loss.

TdC

you may have a point there, Draylor, but I get the McGaffé enterprise free from workies with a lifelong membership which is a bit of a plus. other than that it seems to do it's job well enough as far as anti-virus stuff goes. you have any reccomendations from other vendors?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
AVG is free, and you can easily turn off it's mail filter. If you want to pay I'd throughly recommend NOD32, it's a very good package and is quite CPU/memory 'light' for AV.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
you have any reccomendations from other vendors?
I was also using Mcafee until recently and ditched it due to similar problems. At work it does what I need it to, for a home system it just wasnt working for me.

Currently testing out Symantec AV. It seems to do its job while staying out of my way and not doing anything annoying/stupid, so it might be worth considering.

TdC

thanks guys, I'll have a wee look and let you know what I decide!

FozzySon

Can't get enough of FH
Agree with Draylor, Symantec AV is the best i've used, stays out of the way and doesn't bother anything. :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
TdC said:

Cyradix for teh win!

So it was Mcafee & TDC gayness issue then :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom