Xmas Holiday Destination Ideas

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You really don't want to drive from Durban all the way. There isn't loads to do apart from a few beaches until you get to Port Elizabeth. It's also not a great drive especially through what used to be Transkei and Ciskei (just north of East London)
After you have been through Knysna there isn't a great deal to see until you get to Cape Town.
You're not selling it to me. I figured there'd be loads to see n' do. :\

Missus is banging on about Thailand again. Which would be easy and chilled. But I kinda want to go somewhere I've not been before. Bit of fishing, whale-watching, shark cage diving, mountain biking and drinkin' wine sounds good. But if it's just a chore of driving?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes there is loads to do in many places along that coast but also quite large stretches of not a lot to do but the scenery is quite enjoyable. It's not a small country!

The piece of coast north of East London was a homeland for Xhosa-speaking people in the time of Apartheid so is quite sparse and under developed.
Durban to Port Edward is quite lovely and mostly beach related stuff. But from there to East London is a 7 hour drive. It's fine if you are going for a month but you don't want to waste precious days driving if going for 2 weeks.

If you drove from Durban to Cape Town all along the coast it will take 20 hours.

I could quite easily spend 2 weeks along the coast North and South of Durban

Last edited:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You could always skip the Durban part and just start at Port Elizabeth...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You're not selling it to me. I figured there'd be loads to see n' do. :\

Missus is banging on about Thailand again. Which would be easy and chilled. But I kinda want to go somewhere I've not been before. Bit of fishing, whale-watching, shark cage diving, mountain biking and drinkin' wine sounds good. But if it's just a chore of driving?
Just a quick Christmas break..wtf are you do in the summer..finding the source of the Nile?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just a quick Christmas break..wtf are you do in the summer..finding the source of the Nile?
Can't abide lying by the beach. Maybe one or two days, but then you've done that. What have you seen but beach and beer? It's like an average saturday night with a bit of hot sandpaper.

Came home from a pissup in York this weekend and the o/h has bought flights to Bangkok. We'll take a quick flight to Chiang Rai and make our way down here in Chiang Mai for a while before deciding what to do next :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Personally I’d like the opportunity to play games in my pants, drinking beer, eating crisps and dozing off and on for a week with no human contact.

That would be a holiday :)

(wanks too obvs)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Personally I’d like the opportunity to play games in my pants, drinking beer, eating crisps and dozing off and on for a week with no human contact.

That would be a holiday :)

(wanks too obvs)
That's 'cause you have kids m8. Games, beer and dosing off are my average evening.

(wanks too, obvs) :)

Job

My married mates with teenagers, they are beyond miserable.
Its just fucking awful to see..all they want is rid of their families.
Going on holiday wirh the moaning, demanding , disrespectful mob, is just depressing for them.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'm going to be still stuck in the US for Xmas and New Year and because of some Visa complexities, taking holiday outside the US and coming back on my work visa etc, it's much much simpler if I just stay within the US for my winter holiday this year. I looked at options like Hawaii (damn expensive), New Year in New York (really damn expensive), and several other choices. In the end nothing really seemed that appealing. So fuck it, Vegas it is!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Mauritius, lovely place and people. If you want something a little more adventurous Madagascar.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Instead of gambling with the Scottish weather, we're off for a weekend city break to Newcastle. :drink::sex::clap:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm going to be still stuck in the US for Xmas and New Year and because of some Visa complexities, taking holiday outside the US and coming back on my work visa etc, it's much much simpler if I just stay within the US for my winter holiday this year. I looked at options like Hawaii (damn expensive), New Year in New York (really damn expensive), and several other choices. In the end nothing really seemed that appealing. So fuck it, Vegas it is!

Fremont Street is one of my favourite places on Earth.

Bodhi

Apologies for the thread hijack, but has anyone had the pleasure of a Xmas break with the in-laws? We've got one planned for the 27th to the 3rd in Gran Canaria with my family - me mum has paid for it as a wedding present for us, thinking it would be a nice treat. However , this seems to have pissed the wife off something chronic. She seems to think that we're going to be organised and have to spend the entire week with them, whereas what actually happens is everyone fucks off and does their own thing anyway. We've been told if we want fed they'll buy us dinner but we have to eat with them, and the only request my mum has made is a lift back to her apartment at some stage on NYE.

Now she's kicking off on text saying she isn't going to be dictated to for a week. Is it just me, or does that seem a little....ungrateful?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Apologies for the thread hijack, but has anyone had the pleasure of a Xmas break with the in-laws? We've got one planned for the 27th to the 3rd in Gran Canaria with my family - me mum has paid for it as a wedding present for us, thinking it would be a nice treat. However , this seems to have pissed the wife off something chronic. She seems to think that we're going to be organised and have to spend the entire week with them, whereas what actually happens is everyone fucks off and does their own thing anyway. We've been told if we want fed they'll buy us dinner but we have to eat with them, and the only request my mum has made is a lift back to her apartment at some stage on NYE.

Now she's kicking off on text saying she isn't going to be dictated to for a week. Is it just me, or does that seem a little....ungrateful?
Yes.
Wives and Mothers-in-law, good luck!

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I apologise in advance chronic fence sitting is a serious problem for me .

It is a nice gesture from your mum, and it does look a bit ungrateful of your wife.

But, I can see it from her point of view too, i.e. Your mum is saying I'm going to give you a lovely holiday as your wedding present , but I'm going to tell you where and when we're going, and we're coming with you and you've got to at least do some of what we ask you to do whilst we're there!
So basically, what Exioce said, good luck

Bodhi

Only reason she asked for a lift is that, ever since my dad passed away, one time she does struggle a little with lonelieness is NYE, and not during the bells or anything, but when she has to go and get a taxi afterwards back to her house. Even in that case I'm pretty sure we can make sure she gets a taxi, other than that we've been told to do what we want.

Oh, and my sister's In Laws go as well, and they're all Norwegian, hence drink heavily and are all as mad as a brush.

Ah Christ, what have I let myself in for.....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To be fair - it doesn't feature in my life. I think the mother-in-law phenomenom is a function of marriage.

Don't get married. That stops the female twat-trigger getting pulled :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
To be fair - it doesn't feature in my life. I think the mother-in-law phenomenom is a function of marriage.

Don't get married. That stops the female twat-trigger getting pulled :)

It really doesn’t. My missus would have exactly the same attitude as Bodhi’s and she would have had the same attitude before we were married. She thinks my Mum is a passive-aggressive control freak. And she kind of is :( but I’m fine with it because she doesn’t get to see me or the kids much (so tends to overcompensate on the itinerary when she does see us) and I know how to let the nonsense wash over me.

Job

My father in law always gets pissed at christmas and tells the same stories over and over again.
I just cant face it anymore.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I like my mother in law. My missus (now the ex) likes my mum.

It might be a bit unusual but I guess it depends on the people as for everything in life.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I like my mother in law. My missus (now the ex) likes my mum.

It might be a bit unusual but I guess it depends on the people as for everything in life.

My ex-wife and my Mum get on very well; my Mum has visited her in France long after we got divorced.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
My family is 2 for 3 on the getting along scale. My wife and my sisters husband both gets along very well with my mum, but my brothers wife does not. Then again, my brothers wife is a spoiled bitch.
I haven't really spent enough time with my own inlaws to say for sure, I get along just fine with my wife's dad, and I only met her mum once for a few hours. Will see her again this christmas.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Spent last Christmas with the in-laws descending on us (Brother in Law, his wife plus 2 kids and the her parents). The MIL (definitely no F!) is a card carrying Daily Fail reader and Brexit (Yes) voter who constantly goes on about immigrants and the NHS. We literally had to sit her down and say no politics, no Brexit, no religion and no controversy over the week. In the end the ground rules worked and we all had a great time.

Not going back to UK this year, spending it with friends in Dubai. Three families spending two days together then off to a hotel on east coast for 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom