Xmas Holiday Destination Ideas

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Freddyhelp!

I've got from 15th December to 2nd Jan out of work and want to go away for xmas. It won't be epic long haul like Cambodia and Vietnam last year - don't think the time allows for such a trip really - but definitely don't want to be in Blighty.

So, hoping to go somewhere warm with plenty to do (I'd like to be active). I've been to the canaries (which will be mild, but not hot).

Where would you guys suggest and why? :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Stay at home...think of climate change.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dubai's out. What would I be able to do there but shop and drink? Same for a cruise - cooped up on a boat with nothing to do sounds like voluntary hell :(

Bahamas do sound nice as a beachy thing but I get bored of the beach after a day and need something active.

America is on the cards next year - a mate got married and we couldn't attend so a road / bike trip of some description is on the cards.

Maybe I should consider cold places too? Even if it wouldn't help with my lack of sun issues.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Dubai's out. What would I be able to do there but shop and drink? Same for a cruise - cooped up on a boat with nothing to do sounds like voluntary hell :(

I wouldn't write off a cruise.

My parents were massive anti-cruisers then they went on an Adriatic cruise which was nice apparently, you pretty much sleep on the boat (Unless you're one of those fuckers that needs to rush back for your inclusive lunch.)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Loads of activities in Dubai and Bahamas. You can go snowboarding in Dubai!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
2 weeks of Winter Sun over Xmas?

Thailand. Easily doable in 2 weeks (we did Thailand and Bali in 2), loads to do and friendly locals.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't write off a cruise.
Sat on a boat with nothing to do but eat, drink and swim in a pool, with occasional stop offs at towns to wander about shops, eat and drink?

Yawwwwwn. :)

I can go snowboarding in Courchevel @DaGaffer. But what puts me off is a mate went and said I'd hate it.

Done Thailand @Bodhi - at least the beachy side. Never got inland. But it's tempting, if I can find a couple of days MTB in the mountains ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Motorbikes sin't my bag @Job baby. But thinking of MTB Sierra Nevada next spring though :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
South Africa? You'd get all the out doorss stuff you like and your money would go far. Maybe a lot flight then you were planning though.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Have anyone here been to Greenland or Svalbard? Would make for an interesting trip.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I didn't even know visiting Greenland was a thing.

Looked into a couple of years ago; you can fly from Reykjavik- not too expensive.

No idea about Svalbard, I assume you go from Oslo

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Looked into a couple of years ago; you can fly from Reykjavik- not too expensive.

No idea about Svalbard, I assume you go from Oslo

Had a wee look last night, you can go from Copenhagen too

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That'd be a summer trip for me. Perma-night doesn't sound like fun.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
South Africa? You'd get all the out doorss stuff you like and your money would go far. Maybe a lot flight then you were planning though.

Considering Durban > CapeTown with a bit of Garden Route. Done it?

Anyone else?

Embattle

FH is my second home

More like vomiting hell :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Come on then. Beans > Spill :)

I've got a couple of weeks so can take it slow. Would like to be in Cape Town for NY. Wondering what the must-hit spots between the two are, the best way to get about etc.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The best way to get about is to drive really if you want to go from Durban to Cape Town. It's a very long way though!
No other viable way unless you fly part of the way and then drive. Depends how much you want to see.

You could go to Durban and then fly to Port Elizabeth and drive the rest of the way. Still a very long drive +- 8 hours.

Places to visit along the way:

1. Addo Elephant Park - Game Reserve with many of the top animals to see.
2. Plettenburg Bay - Fantastic beach
3. Knysna - Cruise the lagoon; Mountain Bike in the Forests, surfing, paragliding and bungee jumping
4. Cape Town - Table Mountain; Robben Island; Boulders Beach for Penguins; Bloubergstrand for great view of Table Mountain; Wine Farms (Constantia; Stellenbosch;Franschhoek; Paarl); Cape Penninsula, Hout Bay & Llandudno beach.

Since it's a long drive you could stay in Knysna or a really small town called Mossell bay. They are roughly half way.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
While in Durban you could go to:
Umhlanga beaches
Umdloti Beaches
Shaka's Rock Beach
Amanzimtoti Beach

Selection of Wine Farms to visit in Cape Town:
Backsberg
Laborie
Rust en Vrede
Spier
Neethlingshof
Simonsig
Groot Constantia
Buitenverwachting
Steenberg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nice. Thinking of stopping off in, say, four-five places and spending a couple of days in each :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You really don't want to drive from Durban all the way. There isn't loads to do apart from a few beaches until you get to Port Elizabeth. It's also not a great drive especially through what used to be Transkei and Ciskei (just north of East London)
After you have been through Knysna there isn't a great deal to see until you get to Cape Town.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom