XBox or PS2?

S

S-Gray

Well... i aint played a console since the days of a Dreamcast, but now, after about a year, im bored of my PC and just wondering what to go for...

Should i go for the XBox or the Playstation 2? Wheres the cheapest place to buy either (Best offers). I know certain places sell em for just under £140, which is probably what i want to stay within.

I believe there is more PS2 games out than XBox, but, fact is i cant play every game out there, only ones which appeal to me.

So.. tell me your choices and why !

SG

L

lovedaddy

Good question =)

If its just for games, I'd probably say the PS2. Its got some class Ps2 only games (but the numbers of exclusives seem to be falling).

However, if you plan to mod it. Xbox everytime. I probably spend as much time using xbmp (xbox media player) and using the emus as I do playing real xbox games. Not to say the xbox is a bad gaming console, I'd say project gotham is worth the price of the console alone.

The xbox is still slightly cheaper I think.

S

S-Gray

Well yeah... games would be a main purpose... but i would like the use other features as well, such as DVD, and play music...

I do believe both come with those options, but what makes em different?

T

tris-

well with the xbox you can rip CDs to the hard drive so you could lend one and rip it, not that i condone illegal activites of course.

L

lovedaddy

OK, out the box the xbox will play Audio Cds and nothing else. If you want to play DVDs you need to purchase the remote control addon for about 20 quid. You can rip audio cds to your xbox in WMA format, for playback in the xbox dashboard, or in games that support it.
Another note is if you want to use the DD or DTS sound output of the xbox (for either ingame audio or films), you'll need to purchase the advanced Scart cable which has an optical out on it, for again, 20 quid (ish).

PlayStations will play both DVDs and CD audio out the box (using the regular controller). There is also a remote control addon for it. But not required.
The PlayStation 2 also has an optical out on the back of the unit meaning you dont need to puchase an extra cable (ie you just use your regular optical cable to connect the ps2 to your decoder, and use regular AV cable that comes with it to connect to your TV)

The xbox really shines when you chip it. Add a chip, plus homemade software, such as XBox Media Player (xbmp, soon to be over taken by xbmc, Xbox Media Centre), and you have yourself an all in 1 music playback (cd audio, Ogg, Mp3, Wma etc) and video playback (divx, xvid, vcd, svcd). Xbmp (and xbmc), dont need the remote control, but both support it.
If your xbox also has a samsung dvd drive in it (a little difficult to come by these days), you'll be able to use CDRs, along with DVDRs in your xbox. Lesser DVD drives (such as the Thompson and the Philips) can read DVDRs and CDRWs, but will struggle with CDRs. Again, using a modchip to run, the xbox also has a region free DVD player knocking about (which doesn't require you to purchase the remote).
Further mods include replacing the HDD with a larger on (more media, emus, or games from the HDD). A new bios will even allow over 137gigs (which was previously the limit).
Lastly, the ethernet port will allow you connect to your xbox, via FTP (a replacement dashboard acts as an ftp server), for you to upload films to the HDD. Or even more impressive, stream films from another PC to the Xbox via SMB (and some custom made share formats).

You can of course add a chip to the PS2, but with limited storage (ie no HDD), difficult development and slower processor, dont expect as much home made software. I think you can get a basic MP3 player, and Divx 5 ish player.

Thats all I can think of about now =)

M

~Mobius~

Well I do have both and if I had to recommend one I would say
X-Box, I never really got into many games on my Ps2 but Shenmue 2 and Starwars Knights of the Old Republic on X-box are absolutly brilliant, + I prefer the DVD thingy on Xbox.

S

S-Gray

OK... since its pretty much being decided for getting an Xbox, where should i go to buy one?

Anyone know any good high street shops with decent offers, or anywhere online which is cheaper?

As i say, i wanna keep it within the £140 margin

M

~Mobius~

I would guess all the usual shops have roughly the same sort of deal price wise. Just MAKE SURE you get Knights of the Old Republic and Shenmue 2. :) :) :)

S

S-Gray

Didnt see that one coming tbh ;)

I think i might just get one second hand, for about £80.. and just get it "chipped up"...

*cough*

/Edit

Just made a few phone calls...

I could get one for £200, which has a 120gb Hard Drive, a Samsung DVD Drive, the Executor2 Chip and lots of games

Could get it next week... might go for it tbh!

X

Xtro 2.0

Get the xbox chipped, opens up the console and is lush.

MAME and Amiga Emulator and XBMP and and and...etc.

O

Ono

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Get the xbox chipped, opens up the console and is lush.

MAME and Amiga Emulator and XBMP and and and...etc.

Both machines have their merits (as does the Cube).

If you do decide on the XBox it is *essential* that you get a chipped one with a new HDD. ;)

S

S-Gray

Well thats what i'll be going for ;)

What games should i be looking for anyway? What top games are around for XB?

O

old.UKTwister

Are you getting X-box live ? i've played moto gp2 on it recently, it was quality :) If you are playing a single player race and are online you get an invitation box on the screen saying someone has challenged you to a game, smart!

Anway for games:
star wars: knights of old republic
top spin
project gotham 1 (or wait a few weeks for 2)
Splinter cell

to get you started

L

lovedaddy

add
panzer dragoon
DOA3
Soul Calibur 2
GTA pack (when it lands)

Possibly:
Jet Set Radio
Tony Hawks Underground

S

S-Gray

Is there any WW2 games out there? Apart from Medal of Honour which im considering...

Then again, the WW2 games i liked on PC where online... (Battlefield/DoD) so i might not like em...

C

CptDoom

MOH: Rising Sun looks impressive but isnt out yet, also not WW2 but if squad combat is your bag, consider Conflict Desert Storm 2, fantastic fun.

There is The great Escape but its a bit dodgy and not EXACTLY what you mean, ther than that... Ummmm... Ah yeah, RTCW is there too, good for online blasting.

K

KevinUK

I wouldnt normally say Game.net as their game prices arent the cheapest (ESPECIALLY for console games) but their console offer does sound a good deal.

I have had an xbox for 4 months (ish) now and there have just started to be some cool games coming out :D .

Get Project Gotham 2 (28th November) for racing.
Dead or Alive 3 is meant to be a cool fighting game.
Crimson Skies has cool reviews (arcade flying style with lots of dog fighting).
Top Spin is meant to be a good tennis game.
Colin Mcrae 4 , realistic rally game.

I plan to get all of the above anyway ;)

I'm a die hard PC gamer but I'm tempted by xbox live too :eek:

Quite a few new games will come with a 2 months free trial to xbox live so give it a try, its £40 a year and that comes with a free headset.

Oh, as for WW2 I dont know of any for the console but get Call of Duty on the PC, I've played the demo and it blows MOH away :)

Get spending, lots of goodies there for christmas ;)

S

S-Gray

What is this XBox Live! thing?

Is it where you connect to the net? If so i believe you need Broadband... but question is, do you have to pay to play so to speak... like Im on BTo but would i have to pay per minute to play or is it still free?

C

CptDoom

XBOX Live is just a chat feature without a keyboard, its a great way of playing, sound quality is impressive (as good as a phone) and makes arranging games really easy as you can contact people thru the provided headset in whatever game they are in, just send an invite or accept an invite and join them.

Live does need a broadband connection and comes with demo discs and a headset plus (at least when i got it) 1 year of free service (though you need a credit card to activate) I think theres 2 mnth deals going atm. Cost £39.99 or free with some xbox deals

Honestly, live will impress you very much when you first try it, then it starts hurting your ear as the headset is killer in your lobes, tho some people just use a handsfree kit from a mobile

W

whipped

One very good reason to get the Xbox had to be Full Spectrum Warrior. I believe it is out next year and if you're looking for squad combat type games then I believe this is going to be the finest of the fine.

K

KevinUK

Oops I forgot about Full Spectrum Warrior :eek:
Although it will be out on the PC too so I might get it on the PC instead.

Is it made primarily for the console or PC? That might make me decide :p

W

whipped

Afaik it was made with the Xbox in mind. From the videos I've seen the control system is incredible balanced and intuitve. Even if you happen to own and use one of the bear sized Xbox controllers :D

C

charl8tan

xb live wise you might wanna take a look here not all games are supported but apparently it is a good crack.
games wise I'd have to agree with most of the above, SC2 is class, Burnout 2 is a really good, addictive game, some of the lap times etc set on the live board are incredible and you just cant help but try and top them. And defo get the GTA double pack, I have no idea what I can say about the game due to the whole confidentiality gubbins, but it rocks, defo worth the money.

M

~Mobius~

Shenmue 2 and Starwars : Knights of the Old Republic, trust me!

S

S-Gray

Well yeah, Shenmue2 is top of my list anyway... Not too sure on the SW one tho... since ive never ever liked the movies or games on anything Star Wars related :(

M

~Mobius~

Neither do I, but this really doesn't have much in common with the typical Starwars thingy since its set 3000 years before. Its a really really great RPG. :)

C

charl8tan

and mate.....I've just had a go on Top Spin Tennis, it's fookin good. went down to the store and bought it 10 mins after having a game. it rocks, 2 months free live trial in there as well

M

~Mobius~

*Bump* Did you get it? And if so did you get Starwars KOTOR and Shenmue? Because if you didnt...!

Shakes fist menacingly

S

S-Gray

nope :(, well, it could be anytime this week. Have to wait for the all important phonecall to say its all ready to be picked up...

<BLVLSVJALKJB im hoping Wednesday latest, but i might go down and have a "friendly chat" with him.. make him hurry the deal along ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom