x2

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
My mate bought this the other day. I watched him play it and it looks shit :(

Sorry.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Thats ok L-plates, the cut scenes are truly dreadful and first impressions count. I continued playing as MIkey and Gran kept telling me it was worth it in the end, and it has been. The trading and economy parts are really well done, but you have to get past the cutscene shit first, and that can take a bit of time, so I'm not surprised what you saw didnt impress you, it didnt impress me either.
I'm running 4 scripts that are considered cheats, because they stop the Khaak respawning, make Jump driving fleets easy (do whole fleet with 1 command instead of each ship in turn), make it easier for your ships to service your stations and allows your original ship to autotrade in a single sector. Basically, I've turned off the scripted cutscene nonsense in favour of an Elite style gameplay and I love it.

Summo, got 2 M2's now, but this is being financed by 8 Solar Power Plants which I have up and running now. Each one has 3 well equipped transports (Large Boron Manta's) servicing it and I love the the level of automation that lets you do this. The detail and complexity in this game are addictive, but its essential o hand off to automation when you need to. Can even fight completely automatically. I parked my first M2 outside a pirate base it lit up like a christmas tree as the defenders poured out. Had about 30 bad guys attacking in me in smallish fighters, but they couldnt take my shields down so I just sat there and let my turrets blast away. Watched from a distance, was hilarious. Even had a bag of popcorn handy to complete the scene. (so good I mention it twice :p )

As the manual is complete poo its handy to know that the Argonopedia has been updated to include X2 and its pretty bloody comprehensive. A game this complex needs a site like that frankly.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Well I've just bought it, probably only got time to install it and play for 5 mins before I go out.

I played X-Beyond the Frontier and X-tension 2.0 but like others have said about X2, the manual was woeful and I had to really dig for so much info off the net. Even though I have patience for this type of game it did put me off but fingers crossed I'll get into the sequel.

Is there really MUCH difference between the first and this one apart from snazzier graphics and more options? I am presuming it will just be refined and prettier (apart from the cutscene malarkey).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I hate all of you atm :eek:

till my games retail0r gets off it's arse that is :)

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I am dangerously addicted to this game. I've been dreaming about it and even got up early to get some station management done before work. I've not done this stuff since I played Elite.

Whoo! :D

Unlike Ted, I've not been cheating.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Cheating would ruin the fun really, but stopping the khaak respawning and not having to individually order every single ship to jump.... well it's not cheating if it prevents RSI :)

Summo

Loyal Freddie
But without the Khaak there's no threat! (See game's title). I regularly lose freighter's to the Khaak and only the Khaak. If they weren't there there would be nothing stopping me from earning 3 million every hour.

Cheating. That's all. I have nothing more to say to you people...

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i used to enjoy playing this game, but its serously has done me head in,

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
What are the names of the scripts u have running TTD?

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I believe they are:

Infiammo
Unlimitedcredits
God Mode
Noenemies

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
*passes summo the necessary </shipenvy> tag*

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Summo said:
This must read like utter tripe to people who've never played this. :/
Yes you're right, it does. :)

I don't need another life-consuming game atm (I have too much stuff to worry about in real life), but I'll probably put some time into it when the time becomes available.

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Look, Callous! Look! This will be my new ship!

x2dragon.jpg

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Looks like a big (and slightly misshaped) cock. :(

I'm playing catch up on a number of games I have but haven't completed. Simpsons Hit and Run, Broken Sword 3, Prince of Persia 3d (finished it but replaying with ps2 pad because it rocks) and I'm heavily into Ghost Recon online as well. I just don't have tiiiiiime. :<

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Just one question, where do I find the other shipyards? I can only find one in the first sector, and the selection of weapons and ships seems a tad below what you boys are tinkering with.

Xav

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
A few sectors to the south theres one in Paranid Prime, but you need to have faction with them to dock. NW of Argon prime is a sector that sells Boron stuff. South of Paranid Prime is a some Teladi space and a good distance to the East is some Split stuff.
Paranid ships are some of the best imo, though you have to be careful what you hit with the shockwave generators :p

Athan

Resident Freddy
Ah good it's back again (was moving hosts). A good 'unspoiled' map, which I've been using to 'explore' (i.e. trundle around filling in my ingame map).

I really don't see using that as cheating as it's something they should have bloody well included in the box/manual, and I don't see *why* the ingame map doesn't start without all that info anyway. It's not like the names/locations of those sectors are big secrets in the game universe, is it ?

-Ath

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Summo said:
Look, Callous! Look! This will be my new ship!

Umm has that thing got a landing wheel at the front? Like why would you need one in space?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Bullitt said:
Umm has that thing got a landing wheel at the front? Like why would you need one in space?

Nope, it's got a smaller ship (an M5 of some kind, can't see what it is from that angle, paranid perseus maybe?) docked to it just there. Very useful cos you can't dock corvettes & larger to stations so you quickly end up with a collection of support ships for your biggies :)

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Athan said:
Ah good it's back again (was moving hosts). A good 'unspoiled' map, which I've been using to 'explore' (i.e. trundle around filling in my ingame map).

I really don't see using that as cheating as it's something they should have bloody well included in the box/manual, and I don't see *why* the ingame map doesn't start without all that info anyway. It's not like the names/locations of those sectors are big secrets in the game universe, is it ?

-Ath
That's the map I use (printed colour A3 courtesy of The Company, thanks!) simply because it's the clearest. There are some inaccuracies though: Interlands is actually Interworlds, Loomanckstrat's Legacy is a Pirate sector, not Argon, Getsu Fune is Argon ruled (though it has stations and M1s from all races).

I totally agree that a map like this should have been in the manual - or a least a similar one showing the core home systems. That manual is grossly crap.

Incidentally, there's a more accurate and detailed (but less clear) map right here on the excellent Argonopedia.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I love this thread :)

Learned more over these 2 pages than I did playing the damn game for 3 weeks solid.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
So which is the biggest nastiest battleship? The Boron Ray?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I cba to fire up the game just to check btw, but is there multiplayer? And how does it work? Anyone tried it?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Xavier said:
I cba to fire up the game just to check btw, but is there multiplayer? And how does it work? Anyone tried it?

No, and therefore no and also no.

Egosoft are supposedly working on some MMO-ish version of it though.

-Ath

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:

Yeah the M2's are great for raw firepower but if you want to jump into a system and proceed to totally dominate every single last motherfucker out there you can't do better than an M1 carrier class. Something like the Argon Colossus may not have as many guns itself as the M2's but it carries up to 130 ships, up to M3 class.... launch that little lot and watch the pirates cack themselves (and your CPU grind to a shuddering halt ;) ) :p

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:

For sheer power the Paranid Odysseus with Gamma PPC's and PSG's on all turrets is awesome. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom