WOW Patch

W

Will

More...

The Lattice Logic Module is obviously a large addition to PlanetSide. What we are asking people to focus on is the word "addition." We feel that the system itself has a lot to offer the flow of this game we're making and will add more depth to an already engaging game. The other reason the word "addition" is significant is because it is not planned as a global replacement for the current style of base-capture. Having a variety of methods, one of them being the current capture and hold style and the other involving the Lattice Logic Module is intended to give players a variety of situations to wage battle in a given play session. Both styles have their advantages, and combined with the feedback we receive from the community, we can make base capture an even more compelling experience than it ever has been.

Members of the community have brought up certain concerns about the implementation of this system. These are completely understandable concerns. An addition this big mandates careful design attention as it is played through. We've talked about risk vs. reward in relation to several systems in the past. This may be a risk, but the potential rewards that will come from the improved gameplay will be worth it.

We've always monitored the community's opinion on the flow of the game. Our game is vastly improved thanks to this continual communication. The community's feedback will guide us through this addition just as much as it has before.

T

Turamber

Heh, I've been reading the millions of complaint threads about the changes to the game on the official forums. Beats me why but it seems that a large proportion of the US playerbase is only capable of complaining and seeing things negatively.

Any change which takes fighting into the countryside and adds a tactical edge to proceedings has to be a good one as far as I am concerned.

M

Manic Miner

yerh, i've been reading the millions of complaints. i only hope that SOE arn't swayed by the few vocal people who post on that forum and actually give this a go.

X

Xtro

I'm impressed by the ideas and the tone of SOE's announcements. US players always moan...we *nearly* had tactical nukes in Tribes 2 thanks to them ffs :)

P

[PS]Nova

The thing I like the most is that the LLU will promote organisation. If you're just in a zerg, you increase immensely the chance that some organised TR or NC outfit will get a squad through and manage to kill the LLU carrier and guard it's location.

This means that outfits as a whole are going to have to think up strategies, both for capturing bases and defending them as well, and I'm really looking forward to that.

M

MoratJG

I dont like it i am afraid. I think this LLU idea will take away the "war" aspect of the game. I agree that we need to promote exterior battles more, but not like this.

Having the LLU spawn at a random place in the base seems silly, why a random place?

Lots of other reasons why i dont like it but most are covered on the official forums. I know the US players whine a lot but, on this occasion, i am in agreement with them.

I can play UT if i want to play Capture the Flag.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by MoratJG

Having the LLU spawn at a random place in the base seems silly, why a random place?

Because the usual base capture zerg runs straight for spawn room/generator/CC room.
Random spawn means that people will actually have to fight their way through all the rooms in the facility until they find the LLU.

imo they should make the facilites either larger or less accessible.
You have two gigantic gates and the usual backdoor.
Actual fortresses would be fun - no the hanky panky basic layout all over the place.

Bunkers should get fixed emplacements, too - like a heavy machine gun or something to promote their use.
I'd also like to see Engs able to created ditches/barbed wire obstacles (lag due to too many objects, I guess though).

M

mid_Efour

well the LLU will be in the room with the 4 locked down pounders just follow the trail of NC/VS body bags , oh wait you cant they nerfed that too.

M

mid_Efour

also...

that Sporkfire dewd, hes as iliterate as I

M

MoratJG

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
.....imo they should make the facilites either larger or less accessible.
You have two gigantic gates and the usual backdoor.
Actual fortresses would be fun - no the hanky panky basic layout all over the place.........

This is was one of the better whines from the US players. Making the base harder to access would make things better i reckon. Just being able to walk into any base is unrealistic (i know its a game but... ).

Having to hold more than one area within a larger base (or series of buildings within a complex) to secure the cap is one option to avoid the repetative CC/Gen/Spawn action.

I am not a dev but this does not seem to have been thought out very well, just moves the hack/re-secure/hack again/re-secure ping-pong inside the CC, takes it outside the base, and gives it a different name.

W

Will

The bases will have (eventually) energy-style gates which will stop people just running in.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

They should also implement small cities/villages - what's more fun than urban combat?

That's what got me hooked to MOH:AA - tossing grenades through a window, then rushing in guns blazing... ahh.. so much fun.

M

MoratJG

This would also give players the option of playing in smaller tactical squads rather than massed battles for continents, but i digress........

B

BrassMonkey

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/play/arcade/dastardly_pigeon/

Get your practice in now!

Muttley you snickering floppy eared hound,
When courage is needed, you're never around!
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest,
Should be there for bungling at which you are best!
So, Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon,
Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon,
Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon
Stop that Pigeon How ?
Nab him - jab him - tab him - grab him,
Stop that pigeon now!

You zilly, stop sneaking it's not worth the chance,
For you'll be returned by the seat of your pants!
And Clunk, you invent me a Thingamybob,
That catches that pigeon or I lose my job!
So, Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon,
Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon,
Stop The Pigeon, Stop The Pigeon
Stop that Pigeon How ?
Nab him - jab him - tab him - grab him,
Stop that pigeon now!

M

MoratJG

Roffle :D

I hope it doesn't turn out like this, but i have a bad feeling about this whole shootin' match...

G

Gekul

At the moment, you hack a base, and depending on resistance, either defend the hack or move to the next. The majority of players don't bother with the bases we already own. It's just offense, constantly. That is how you get rewarded (although I've never played in that style).
What this will do is give a reason for defending bases (as you need a linked one), as well as promoting external fighting. It will give tactical importance to choke points, and make killing a group of people an advantage rather than a minor set-back to the opposition.

F

Furr

well ive only ben paying for a few days now but my personal idea for getting people at in the open is to have battle fields by making capturable locations on like bridges or hills. would improve the war feeling of the game rather than merely just fighting over bases.

M

MoratJG

Originally posted by Furr
well ive only ben paying for a few days now but my personal idea for getting people at in the open is to have battle fields by making capturable locations on like bridges or hills. would improve the war feeling of the game rather than merely just fighting over bases.

As i said i am in favour of getting the battle out in the open but the way they are doing is more like a computer game and less like traditional warfare.

F

Furr

true, this is very simply capture the flag and we will just have to wait and see what affect that has on the gameplay. might be good or not so only time will tell.

J

Jonaldo

Why is a 'Lattice Logic Module' being called an 'LLU'? :p

I'm sure I could think of a more suitable acronym that actually has the correct initial letters :)

P

[PS]Nova

Because I think at first they called it a Lattice Logic Unit, so that kind of stuck. :)

S

Stonebits

Im with whoever said make more things for engineers to do at 'home' bases'....

There must be loads of ideas for things that engys can build/do...

Ill wait and see what the LLU idea is like first..... first inpression is its a good idea.... but as with all things we'll have to wait and see....

I think there should be more reason to stay and defend a base though... How many times have you played a merry go round of base capturing.....:m00:

W

Will

More stuff...

We held off on including the Test Server Lasher properties in the next patch so we could take some time to use the weapon, compare notes and crunch some numbers. It's been a hot topic that we have been careful about, since we knew it would have a highly emotional response.
The primary argument against the Lasher AP adjustment has been an increased time-to-kill against MAXes. We look at these numbers in a variety of situations and did some real world adjustments. It is true that the Lasher will require at least one reload depending on its range, as will all of the other weapons. Analyzing its equivalents across other Empires, we find that it roughly equals the TTK of the MCG and Jackhammer, both of which have some form of damage degradation as well.

It is possible that the Lasher will have to be reloaded twice, though this is also a probability with the other Heavy Assault weapons. There is one other difference that has come to light in our analysis as well. The Lasher's versatility means that, unlike any opposing weapon, it does not have to swap out ammo to become an effective weapon against armor. Unlike any other VS weapon, it does not need to switch modes and consume extra ammo, meaning that it continues to be a good choice for the VS soldier on the field. In effect, although the Lasher was adjusted a second time, it has not been nerfed into uselessness. In fact, it remains a highly effective and logical choice against both infantry and armor and maintains a very competitive TTK.

And so, the point I am coming to is that the Lasher as it had been on Test Server this week will be the Lasher that goes live. We feel that the weapon has struck an even balance between the opposition. It remains deadly and versatile, while inline with its counterparts. As we do with every weapon, particularly after an adjustment, we will be continually monitoring the Lasher to make sure it remains effective relative to the other Heavy Assault weapons in actual play sessions.

Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative

T

Turamber

It takes months of TR/VS moaning for Sony to do anything about their faction specific heavy weapons.

The upgraded lasher is then reviewed for a nerf within two weeks of going live. Sony settle on a solution within 2 days of using it on the test server, with only the one variation of it being tried out.

Something tells me the developers don't know how to balance things in this game. Maybe it would be better just to have all weapons/vehicles common pool and simply offer different music and clothes for each faction?

W

Will

Or maybe its really obvious that this weapon needs a few minor tweaks? The devs have been play-testing extensively, I'd like to think this is a sign that they are being more active with changing important issues.

T

Turamber

While still doing nothing to improve VS AA?

Deciding on a solution after a mere 2 days of playtesting it is silly. Even the first revision of the lasher was tested for longer than that!

<starting to lose confidence in the designers>

E

Esoteric

New patch already geese they only just patched on Sunday....

Could this be happening Im beginning to respect a mmo company??!!

Go SOE :D

Im sorry if I seem a lil over excited I was used to daoc and goa for 2ish years and slow/patching and service becomes the norm. (Though I personally have never had a bad response from GOA customer service).

M

Manic Miner

for those at work ...

We will be releasing a client-side patch Thursday, July 31 at 3 AM Pacific. The patch contains the following item:

1. Enemies will no longer appear as moving and invulnerable corpses to the client.
2. Marauder and Enforcer physics and handling have been fixed.
3. A zone crash associated with backpacks has been fixed.
4. Newly created vehicles should no longer deconstruct on the creation pad.
5. Dropped ACEs deconstruct properly.
6. Lightning drivers will no longer lose their reticule while on steep slopes.
7. Improved Availability of Login Servers. In other words, if the Launchpad says a server is up, players will be able to connect to it reliably.
8. Fixed a zone crash from using Warp Gates while in a vehicle with multiple occupants.
9. The planetside_crash.log file now pulls more information to aid in debugging crash issues.
10. An issue with new characters getting stuck in the world has been resolved.
11. A client-side memory leak when zoning was fixed.

G

Gabrial

Dont forget though that they HAD to fix the corpse problem really - it was introduced with their last patch!

At least they solved it fairly quickly though

Users who are viewing this thread