Would this work?

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OK many thanks for all your support in the other thread, I've got a new mobo and PSU on the way, and Thursday is the day to rebuild.

Now, firstly I'll try the PSU and if it works just return the mobo. This is possible, but unlikely.

Now I have quite a lot on my main drive that I don't want to lose, is it possible to put the new mobo in and simply do a Windows install over the top of my existing install on the same drive? Without formatting the drive first? This would include an install of the mobo drivers and so I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

I would probably do a full backup then and do a proper reformat and install anyway.

Many thanks

RB

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just rename the original Windows directory, and it should be fine.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
You'll be lucky to get your hard disks working with a new motherboard.

Probably best to format.

iim gonna be doing the same and, being a lazy bastard, I would prefer just to install over the existing, but this may llead to further problems. Gonna bite the bullet and reinstall windows.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nah you can either do a repair install (install over the top of the existing windows directory) or install to a different directory - the installer will let you change the windows install directory.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
Nah you can either do a repair install (install over the top of the existing windows directory) or install to a different directory - the installer will let you change the windows install directory.

That is true, but I've certainly come across many a badly written application in the past that expects to find C:\Windows. It's never been a show-stopper, but could be annoying.

Also, note that the new installation won't recognise you user accounts (and thus, document locations, settings and so on) this way (although I can't for the life of me remember how you _do_ make a Windows reinstall recognise existing user accounts in any way, if it's even possible).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well RB has said that he just wants to get back in to windows so he can backup his data and do a proper format and reinstall, so that shouldn't really be a problem.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Many thanks.

I don't bother with user accounts on this machine so that shouldn't be an issue. Really I just want to get back to where I was so that I can back up my e-mail and a few other bits and pieces that are on that main drive, most of my valuables, photos etc are elsewhere anyway :)

TBH just at the moment getting the thing working again would make me very happy. I am very nervous about tomorrow. As Sharon says I just have a knack of fucking this kind of thing up, however careful I am.

RB

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
Rubber Bullets said:
Many thanks.

I don't bother with user accounts on this machine so that shouldn't be an issue. Really I just want to get back to where I was so that I can back up my e-mail and a few other bits and pieces that are on that main drive, most of my valuables, photos etc are elsewhere anyway :)

TBH just at the moment getting the thing working again would make me very happy. I am very nervous about tomorrow. As Sharon says I just have a knack of fucking this kind of thing up, however careful I am.

RB

If you can get hold of a small HD you can install fresh on that, and use the old one as secondary to access the files on it, like i have a hard drive on here ive used through my last 3 upgrades just because it has all my music on and nothing else. Other then that... easiest thing to do is as every one else said rename the new install of windows, move the stuff you want, then format it flat and reinstall new, takes longer but it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom