News Working at Argos?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Any of you ever worked for Argos?

I have a job interview and just wanted to ask some questions in case they ask me wierd and wonderful things in the interview

Chilly

Balls of steel
can you carry boxes?
can you press buttons on the till?

not exactly rocket science pal!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'll tell you later thad. Lots of buzz words they look for in retail.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
buzzwords, fs, carry package to counter, mumble number, use rubber stamp..... its like saying you need to know how to cook creme brule when you work at macdonalds

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wow, what a bunch of sneery ***** you lot are. I love the way you all assume he's going to be working in-store (not you Ch3t). That maybe so, but it wouldn't do any harm to be a bit less judgemental. Fucknuggets.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
questions are likely to be competency based : tell me a time when you wanked off a cow. sometimes we deal with abusive customers, tell me about a time when you murdered someone etc. if its something based on a team, always talk mainly about what you did and not other people.

remember the following structure to answer such question

situation
task
action
result

i cant actually remember my interview i had for christmas work with them, i just know the guy was a ****.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
oh sorry. he might be a cleaner!

And if I fucking did get that job, who the fuck are you to judge me?

Id rather work 16 hours a week and get the same as being on the dole than actually being on the dole

Arrogant prick.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wow, what a bunch of sneery ***** you lot are. I love the way you all assume he's going to be working in-store (not you Ch3t). That maybe so, but it wouldn't do any harm to be a bit less judgemental. Fucknuggets.
Perhaps going forward, you could contribute yourself? In other words what was the point in that rant when you could have asked what job Thadius is applying for and helped move the discussion forward.

On that note, enlighten us if you will Thad.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I think its just Christmas staff, I presume behind the scenes, something I dunno what goes on because none of my mates have worked there either :p

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Doesnt help when I havent had an interview for around 3 years now, nowadays is suit and tie TOO ott?

Will

/bin/su
Wear a shirt and tie, if you already have a suit, why not wear it? They aren't going to reject you because you actually gave a shit and turned up in a suit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Id rather work 16 hours a week and get the same as being on the dole than actually being on the dole

Aside from all the judgement crap in this thread - do you really mean that?

If that's the case I think you've got an overdeveloped sense of nobility m8. You don't owe anybody anything....

Kryten

Old Cow.
Firstly, kudos for not being one of the many lazy gits who'd rather live off the dole than "lower themselves" to something they consider menial. Bills need paying, and even menial jobs can be good fun if you're lucky enough to get to know some of the other staff - colleagues can often turn a dull job into something you enjoy :)

Secondly, obviously don't act like it's below you, regardless of your future intentions or career prospects, make sure you come across as if you see your future being there. Obviously in a higher spec position of course; you'll probably get asked where you see yourself in a year, if you'd consider going permanent should the position arise and you prove yourself appropriately. Saying yes will never hurt if you're offered, and makes you look keen and willing to pull your finger out. I can't really offer any useful tips for an interview itself, but as per a couple of posts above you'll already have some of those :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Good luck to you - I think coming accross as keen is the main thing - also try to prepare a few questions to ask them (but nothing inane).

If its only temporary over Christmas I would ask about the prospects of a permanent job and make it clear you would be interested in one if a vacancy came up - that should please them.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Righto, as has been mentioned in the other thread (why couldn't you just have one damn you, you post whore!) it will mosre thank likely be a group interview with the potential of a one on one session.

Group interviews are easy, but if you have very good or very shit people with you it can make things awkward. Be confident and talk when required, do not sit in silence, but at the same time let others contribute. Do not be the loudest voice constantly. They are looking for team work skills, and communication, listening and sharing ideas can be shown by you taking a back seat in conversations when required.

When it comes to task remember that it is not the correct answer that always matters, you do not have to win. They are looking at how you go about achieving your goals, how long you take to act, and again how you work in a group.

There is nothing wrong with humour, but do not be the wise guy with the cracks all the time.

Make sure you are well dressed and presented, it will go noticed. Too many people turn up for temporary job interviews or retail interviews in jeans or other casual clothes.

Be prepared to talk about yourself, a favourite part of most group interviews is the ice breaker and introducing yourself to others.

Good luck and ignore the better than thou fuckwit comments on here.

edit:// Almost forgot. Flexibility and availability. These two are KEY with retail. I know you cannot work more than 16 hours if you want to carry on claiming the dole, make this clear to them, but also let them know that if they offered you enough extra hours to compensate for the loss of the dole that you would work them. They will want someone, especially at xmas, that they can rely on to work at short notice, long hours, and who is reliable. Do not lie to them about your flexibility and availability. Ask them if you only being able to do 16 hours is a problem, and consider what your budget every month would be if you had to work 20 or 24 hours a week and not claim the dole.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Thats how I feel :)

And since is wanting to work a bad thing?

Since Labour got into power.

Good on you though, if more people had the same attitude as you then the country wouldn't be in the state it is.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thadius, can we call upon your good self to supply us with discount codes for Elizabeth Duke jewellery? I have an appearance on Jeremy Kyle and I need to get suited up.

;) Only kidding mate. Good luck.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Thadius, can we call upon your good self to supply us with discount codes for Elizabeth Duke jewellery? I have an appearance on Jeremy Kyle and I need to get suited up.

;) Only kidding mate. Good luck.

Kidding about the discount codes or the appearance on Jeremy Kyle?

I can see it now "My TVR has never broken down", trust Kyle to have totally unrealistic chat topics on his show.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I want to come off the dole, so I can work whatever hours they want me to. I am very flexible :)

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
As Ch3t said showing that flexibility and availability do count for alot. I spent a fair few years working in sports shops when I was just out of school, ended up running a footwear department in a very big store and was heavily involved in recruiting staff for my department, people who showed a willingness to work whenever they were asked to and also showed an enthusiasm to do the work were the ones that stood out for me.

Working in retail isnt too taxing and you can train people up quite easily providing they show a willingness to learn so show that you have some enthusiasm, an ability to talk to people and show some self confidence just not so much that you look like an arrogant prick.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Kidding about the discount codes or the appearance on Jeremy Kyle?

I can see it now "My TVR has never broken down", trust Kyle to have totally unrealistic chat topics on his show.

It never broke down. Only on two occasions, but apart from that it never broke, and it never sent me any texts, or called me a slag! (£6 fuel relay each time)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Did it cheat on you and have a someone else's baby that you raised as your own? I bit it did, the dirty slag.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Perhaps going forward, you could contribute yourself? In other words what was the point in that rant when you could have asked what job Thadius is applying for and helped move the discussion forward.

Woah down there billy boy... There are planty of times when folks might see some posting which, although they don't have direct input on the topic, makes them feel it is worth commenting on the way another member is being treated...

Good luck Thad :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Did it cheat on you and have a someone else's baby that you raised as your own? I bit it did, the dirty slag.

No it didn't cheat on me, but it ruined my bank balance the bitch :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom