Work safe irc client

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Does such a thing exist?
mirc is famous for its exploits and therefore isnt work safe. I have a legit reason for using irc from work but need to find a client myself and my team can use that isnt going to cause issues.
Preferably, any replies to this thread would not include the words "try x, that might be ok", as I'd prefer some good advice rather than hunches.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
I always either used a remote shell to run BitchX or just ran BitchX for windows.
They are pretty much on the ball when it comes to security.
The drawback is that it isnt the nicest looking client out there (read : no graphical interface), and takes some getting used to.

ofcourse almost every old smelly unix admin swears by it

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I've been using Klient for about 4 years now and I've yet to see any exploits for it, with Mirc still as the dominant client script kiddies tend to focus their attentions that way.

Klient also has the benefit of having an extremely elegant interface, using DLLs for scripting (you can also script with anything that supports Active Scripting, VB, java, Perl, Python), and a tiny memory footprint despite maintaining multiple server/channel connections (I'm currently connected to 3 networks and over 20 channels and I'm using 4mb).

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
I use a remote shell (ssh via PuTTY) running irssi under screen. Irssi seems pretty exploit-free, uses Perl for scripting etc. (if that is to your taste), and because you can attach/detach from screen, it gives you good bouncer functionality.

I've been using it for about a year, and it seems to work very well.

RedVenom

Banned
TedTheDog said:
Does such a thing exist?
mirc is famous for its exploits and therefore isnt work safe. I have a legit reason for using irc from work but need to find a client myself and my team can use that isnt going to cause issues.

mIRC is perfectly work safe, if its used in a responsible and sensible manner. That combined with an intelligent firewall application and/or appliance ensures safe online conduct. I've used mIRC (v5.9 no less!) for years, and its never EVER let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom