Words That Make You Chuckle

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
As I work at a Consultant Engineers and I hear day in day out, about beams and columns, I still find the word flange funny :)

I was ina seminar once about fireproofing steel and the bloke said "The underside of the flange" I looked at my boss who has been in the business for 30 years and he just burst out laughing.

What common words make you laugh?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I knew a spanish guy who thought the word "sock" was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. Sometimes, the more you think about a word, the weirder/funnier it sounds. Ocelot makes me smile, especially if it's oscillating at the time...

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
If you don't include computer terms, then probably "mango".

If you do, then "dongle" is the clear winner.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
fatbusinessman said:
If you don't include computer terms, then probably "mango".

If you do, then "dongle" is the clear winner.

I dont know there are some class ones in civils, vibrating poker is another good one!

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
australia! (private joke)

That said, sock does sure sound like a strange word.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
We have a safety video at work that describes how operate a life jacket and I can't help chuckling when the voice over man mentions 'string of beads'

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Rhombus.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhomubsss!!11

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
On our engineering course we had to go to do welding. The guy was telling us about arc welding, and their are 8 fully suited up welders, in full face protectors and visors. The lecturer guy told us after the weld you have to chip off the slag and we all just cracked up laughing :D

Yea i know what u mean about flange - darthshearer, we were doing it in Structures and it was a Russian bird telling us about it and we couldn't stop laughing.

Darthshearer said:
I dont know there are some class ones in civils, vibrating poker is another good one!

OmG reminded me of it when we were doing construction stuff, we were all pissing ourself with laughter at the huge vibration poker :p

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Watersports.
Park-and-Ride.
Facials.
Football Commentary - not the words the actual commentary (Comedy Gold).

: )

Will

/bin/su
Some words only work in the right accent. A Geordie saying "photocopier" cracks me up every time, as does a a Dundonian saying "five pies sky high and an onion one and all".

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There's a place in Plymouth called Pennycomequick. SAS can verify this and maybe give some history, but I don't know why it was blessed with that name. :)

Telamon

Fledgling Freddie
Popcorn.

After an accidental transposition of the first letter of the two syllables ..

.. I have to grin everytime I am at a cinema now and a mate asks wether
someone would like PopCorn. ;)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Brynn said:
On our engineering course we had to go to do welding. The guy was telling us about arc welding, and their are 8 fully suited up welders, in full face protectors and visors. The lecturer guy told us after the weld you have to chip off the slag and we all just cracked up laughing :D

Yea i know what u mean about flange - darthshearer, we were doing it in Structures and it was a Russian bird telling us about it and we couldn't stop laughing.

OmG reminded me of it when we were doing construction stuff, we were all pissing ourself with laughter at the huge vibration poker :p

There are some good ones. I got a fax the other day about, "an errection up the shaft" He was talking about putting steel work in a lift shaft. :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
There's a "Bell End" street near me, I had a picture online of it somewhere (i was sad enough to go take a pic of the street sign and got a few people giving me strange looks doing so)

Anyway, I don't know if made up words count, but I give all credit to eQ-Tyr for the use of the word "fuckwump".

I now use this daily and it still cracks me up :|

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Ohhh if we're doing made up words, i once called my friend a Cum Guzzler for some reason, i liked that. Still makes me laugh :p

Tsjiep

Loyal Freddie
A town in America called Mianus. Saw it on Jackass a couple of years ago.

Some quotes:

"Do a lot of famous people live in mianus?"
"What do people eat in mianus?"

Gil

Can't get enough of FH
We used to have a French girl at my works who dealt with new store openings, when they opened a store in Fort Kinnaird, Edinburgh it was hard to keep a straight face whenever she said it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Will said:
a Dundonian saying "five pies sky high and an onion one and all".

Pronounced:

Fev pehs skeh heh anan ingin ane an ah.

(I am dundonian, this is a popular phrase. Apart from the sky high bit. God knows where that came from :p)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
flange makes me laugh and for place names barton on the beans

Gray

FH is my second home
Kryten said:
There's a "Bell End" street near me, I had a picture online of it somewhere (i was sad enough to go take a pic of the street sign and got a few people giving me strange looks doing so)

And so they should... and so they should ;)

I know i have shitloads of words ive heard in my head... but cant think of any off hand.. fuckin typical :(

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
For some reason the word 'plinth' always raises a smile from me. A very strange word.

For place names, I drove through a place called Lower Dicker last week. I presume there is an Upper Dicker around there somewhere too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom