Word of warning to 360 owners wanting homebrew

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Main Page - Free60 Project

Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at Main Page - Free60 Project will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.

So basically if you ever want to run homebrew on your 360 then don't update your console until further notice.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
homebru? :p all thats there is running tux atm which is a pain in the arse to do. there is a chip of sorts on the way which should make iteasier.

shame tho would be great to get someonting like xbmc on 360

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

That is the important part, running unsigned code which opens up the console up completely. Once it can boot into linux the possibilities are endless but a new version of XBMC is definately on the cards for a start and that would fucking rock. :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I dont get why MS are so scared of being having control over their own devices, same with apple really.

If people fuck around with their machine MS can just void their warranty and not have to deal with it, while gaining the benefits of cheap home computing that they dont even have to pay for.

It seems win win to me.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'd assume that this sort of thing would lead to the 360 being happy to accept copied discs, ergo piracy. Clearly that's something they'd like to remain a pain in the arse.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'd assume that this sort of thing would lead to the 360 being happy to accept copied discs, ergo piracy. Clearly that's something they'd like to remain a pain in the arse.

It isn't a pain in the arse though, a simple DVD drive flash and you can play copied games, it has been going on over 3 years so the horse has already bolted in that regard. They may as well open the system up now for those who want homebrew, the people who will pirate software are already doing it and the people who will pay tend to be the people who will always pay.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Actually I'd imagine it's more about preventing the shit that you get on a PC. Open up the underlying windows base on the 360 and I doubt it would take long for something like "GoldLive4Free.exe" to start doing the rounds and infecting shit.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
That is the important part, running unsigned code which opens up the console up completely. Once it can boot into linux the possibilities are endless but a new version of XBMC is definately on the cards for a start and that would fucking rock. :D

dev teams been preety clear on 360 they arnt doing any thing on it. and far as i am cygnos screenshots are running xbmc via ubuntu, still it could open a whole new can of worms

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Actually I'd imagine it's more about preventing the shit that you get on a PC. Open up the underlying windows base on the 360 and I doubt it would take long for something like "GoldLive4Free.exe" to start doing the rounds and infecting shit.

Good point but it wouldn't be able to infect other 360's using the closed enviroment, only other 360 running linux would be at risk.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

so basically it turns into a crap PC? why do ppl buy consoles these days again?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Lolz. So what you're basically saying is that it turns a 360 into a PS3?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It was inevitable, it got past 10 posts.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Theres nothing wrong with the 360 controller if youre a real man.
I guess you southern ponces cant handle some real meaty controller.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!

It gives young men arthritis for fucks sake :eek:

I need a lift up with it when I want to play a game, its shit and huge and you suck balls :eek:

Yaka

Part of the furniture
both are good, my only gripe with the 360 pad with play and charge kit it holds power less longer than the ps3 pad. my only gripes with ps3 pad are the r2/l2 buttons i got trigger add-ons the make em better. the fact that even with the keyboard added on its still to fucking light.

tris-

It gives young men arthritis for fucks sake :eek:

I need a lift up with it when I want to play a game, its shit and huge and you suck balls :eek:

I suck your mam's balls.

nath

Fledgling Freddie

If you follow the thread you'll realise that I'm the one that said the 360 controller is better first and I'm a Londoner. I guess reading isn't a northerners strong point.

Xbox 360 controller better than the PS3 controller, what madness are you thinking? The only way you would prefer the 360 controller is if you have hands as big as those seen in the Everlong video :eek:

Not 1 month after we patch things up over the DAOC-OT debacle, you go and say something pants-on-head retarded like that :\. 360 pad is clearly superior if you like holding things that are comfortable, the PS3 pad is superior if you have AIDS of the soul.

tris-

nath sure is crankey today.

Lets go trem :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The 360 pad is way more comfy.....

....if you have freakish mongol hands that bend in about 14 different places. I have normal hands so I'll have a DS3 thx. pls. bye.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well, clearly it's down to personal preference so getting in to an argument about this would be the height of faggotry.

But you're so fucking wrong. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom