WMI/Networking problems

Tilda

woo, 2nd thread in one day!

Problem is my dads computer.
we have 3, all networked through a router

PC1 is my PC, it is running windows xphome. When I am at uni, it works fine on our network, when my dad was using his old computer, it worked fine networking with that.

PC2 is a Win 98 Machine, it has no problems, it can see both my dads pc and mine.

PC3 is my dads PC, its new, winxphome.

the network situation is that, all pc's can see PC2.
PC1 cannot see PC3 and vice versa.

PC1 can ping PC3 and vice versa.

All PC's can access the internet.

When PC3 goes into Control Pannel -> Network Connections, there is nothing there.
No network, nothing.
When you try to create a new network with the "setup home or small office network" by clicking it, it dosn't open, no message, just nothing, its like its not a button. This means you can't configure the network.
When you go into windows firewall and then to advanced,
you get this message:
"The Network connections settings have become corrupted. To fix this click restore defaults. This will delete all of your settings for windows firewall and make cause some programs to stop working."

Clicking restore defaults does nothing.

Occasionally when clicking onto Network connections you get this message:

"Network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network connections service is enabled and running."

Naturally the service is running.

I've done the whole ipconfig /renew / release /flushdns etc. Still nothing.

The fact we can ping each other makes me think that it cant be that bad.
However the fact that there is no way to see network settings makes me think that this might be the tip of the iceberg.

Anybody got any pointers?

Tilda

yaruar said:

Aye the file/printer access is the main issue. I suspect its just a config problem, however as I cant access Network Configuration on my dads PC, I cant do shit!
I'm not sure that the link applies as the PC came with SP2.

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure if this is the cause, but I googled the error message you're getting from the windows firewall, and it seems several people experienced the same problem when upgrading to xp sp2. Now, you mentioned it was a new pc, and therefore probably had xp sp2 pre-installed, but some of the possible fixes might still apply. You could try this from a command prompt:

Code:
"winmgmt /regserver"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\system32\netshell.dll"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\System32\hnetcfg.dll"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\system32\wbem\wbemprox.dll"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\system32\wbem\wbemsvc.dll"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\system32\wbem\wbemcore.dll"
regsvr32 "%Windir%\system32\wbem\fastprox.dll"

Which is taken from here and they also have a vb script which you can download to run all the commands in one go (if you trust running vb scripts from random sites on the web).

If that doesn't work, I've seen various suggestions of repairing and re-registering WMI. There a guide here, which seems to be written by the same guy who wrote the other article I linked to above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom