With 2 PCs controlling your BB with 1 mouse and keyboard.

Xajorkith

Fledgling Freddie
I know this is applicable to PvE and RvR but more peeps read this forum :)

For those of you who play two accounts at the same time on two PCs (e.g. BB and main) where both PCs have there own monitor and are connected together via a network reads on…..

There’s a tiny program called Synergy (900k download) which can be found here:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

This is a bit difficult to explain but stay with me :)

This program allows you to control 2 PCs via one mouse and keyboard without the need for a KVM switch, basically you're using your network to control the 2nd pc, but don’t confuse this with Remote Desktop. With DAoC when you run Synergy you get the illusion that you are running two copies of DAoC on a single machine with dual monitors

You install Synergy on both your PCs and after setting it up when you move the mouse to the edge of the monitor… the mouse pointer appears on your second PC monitor screen, the keyboard now works on the second PC too. When you push the pointer back, control goes back to the original PC. This is superb for fast control of two DAoC accounts over two PCs. I have this set up and it allows me to control my Buff Bot and main account very efficiently.

For those thinking blimey I wouldn’t want in the heat of battle to wander over to the second BB PC by mistake the software has numerous methods to prevent that occurring!

For those saying”ooo 3rd party program get the ban stick out” Synergy gives exactly the same effect as running two DAoC accounts in window mode on one PC.

I was very impressed with Synergy it took me less than five minutes to set up, but if you get stuck post your problem here.

As an aside…..the chap that showed this to me had three machines with three monitors all networked, one was XP one was Vista one was Linux and he had just one mouse and keyboard and could control all three seamlessly. He could also copy data from Linux and then paste it on his Vista box …. when the screensave came on... all three screensavers came on together ...

It's a bit of a geek thing but makes BBing a bit easier :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
neat, nice find :)

might be better placed in the Technical section though.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Its nifty, I tried it before, but whenever I use my main-PC as server, and run DAOC fullscreen on it, when I switch to my BB PC, it minimizes DAOC on the main-PC.

The whole point for me to have 2 PC's for DAOC is not to minimize the DAOC with my character on it to buff up :D

It can be nice at times tho - especially the cross-PC copy/paste option :)

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Gotta try this.
Offen use my m8s comp(for bb) since its in my house atm.(i lag abit when duellogging) but i gotta move 3 meters to his comp.... with this i can just keep seated :p

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
become ambidextrous and control BOTH at once - thats what i do :)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
sounds good....need to try 3 ice wizzies in thid now :p

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Been running something similiar for awhile. That was basicly a VNC hack where the remote display window were supressed.

It's very useful though, especially the copy/paste between screens. Now we just need those Synergy2 guys to figure out how to move windows between screens (read: OS's). :)

Xajorkith

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:
Its nifty, I tried it before, but whenever I use my main-PC as server, and run DAOC fullscreen on it, when I switch to my BB PC, it minimizes DAOC on the main-PC.

The whole point for me to have 2 PC's for DAOC is not to minimize the DAOC with my character on it to buff up :D

It can be nice at times tho - especially the cross-PC copy/paste option :)

It doesn't minimize for me :)

From the FAQ

19. How do I stop my game from minimizing when I leave the screen?

Many full screen applications, particularly games, automatically minimize when they're no longer the active (foreground) application on Microsoft Windows. The synergy server normally becomes the foreground when you switch to another screen in order to more reliably capture all user input causing those full screen applications to minimize. To prevent synergy from stealing the foreground just click "Options..." and check "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers."

Ging

Part of the furniture
Mawhaahaaaa seeee in time all of u will want SYNERGY!!!!!!

our grip closes ever tightly around you mear mortals!!!!!!

Ging

Part of the furniture
Adding monitor to that list would truly screw KVM switches, but alas it doesn't. So im gonna keep my KVM switch as i only have the 1 monitor.

dohhhh

Fledgling Freddie
Could someone confirm that this is legal to use with daoc ? Sucks trying it out and THEN finding out its considered a 3rd party program "cheat".

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
its not cheating consider you are controlling the characters and not using any macros etc. This is just for those ppl with little space on the desk :D

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Can't confirm it ofcourse, but I cannot imagine this to be illigal.

It would be like making it illigal to use a KVM switch or even connect to another computer through SSH/Terminal services.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Xajorkith said:
It doesn't minimize for me :)

From the FAQ

19. How do I stop my game from minimizing when I leave the screen?

Many full screen applications, particularly games, automatically minimize when they're no longer the active (foreground) application on Microsoft Windows. The synergy server normally becomes the foreground when you switch to another screen in order to more reliably capture all user input causing those full screen applications to minimize. To prevent synergy from stealing the foreground just click "Options..." and check "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers."

Ah interesting tip, I will try that once to see if it works out. If so, I can drop the 2nd keyboard and mouse from my desk I suppose ;)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
At some point I thought this is a good made up joke about Synergy memebers playing two chars at the same time. Guess not :).

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Ging said:
Adding monitor to that list would truly screw KVM switches, but alas it doesn't. So im gonna keep my KVM switch as i only have the 1 monitor.

Only pussies uses Synergy... real men dual log!!

illu

Part of the furniture
Real men use this set up o_O (Team Wizzy)

http://www.teamwizzy.com/images/TW-DeskPic2.jpg

Over the years as I work in I.T. I've had lots of spare parts. Initially I had 1 PC for my illu account. Then when my SB was "born", I made a shammy account and made a 2nd PC out of spares. When I needed that last extra boost of a Haste Bot, by that time I upgraded the first computer, and with not much more cash made a 3rd computer. So now with a KVM, 2 Monitors, 2 Keyboards and 2 Mice and a Sauna of a room, I play DAOC till I am dehydrated or when the gf moans that she is going to leave me if I don't stop playing - whatever comes first :>

Oli - Illu

Mall

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
We'd like to thank the academy...

Don't forget the little ppl without them none of it would have been possible :worthy:

Sticking to KVM matter of a second to press the button and voila other pc now appears :)

Ging

Part of the furniture
illu said:

Over the years as I work in I.T. I've had lots of spare parts. Initially I had 1 PC for my illu account. Then when my SB was "born", I made a shammy account and made a 2nd PC out of spares. When I needed that last extra boost of a Haste Bot, by that time I upgraded the first computer, and with not much more cash made a 3rd computer. So now with a KVM, 2 Monitors, 2 Keyboards and 2 Mice and a Sauna of a room, I play DAOC till I am dehydrated or when the gf moans that she is going to leave me if I don't stop playing - whatever comes first :>

Oli - Illu

anyone seen that spare PSU, keyb, mouse, monitor?

im sure i left them on the stock shelfs!!!!!

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
I've been using a similar program for over a year now:

Multiplicity by Stardock.

It's very handy - run two bots on another pc and control them with the same keyboard and mouse. It doesn't minimize either, etc. :)

Twinky

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:

Oli - Illu
would it be possible 4 that dude to run a wireless mouse, having same signal to all pc's (recievers).. then controll all pc's with 1 mouse..:)?

illu

Part of the furniture
Twinky said:
would it be possible 4 that dude to run a wireless mouse, having same signal to all pc's (recievers).. then controll all pc's with 1 mouse..:)?

Hehe not sure, but his vids on the teamwizzy website are quite funny. I have no idea how he controls 5 or 6 toons at the same time, but he loves to bomb people outside keeps and things like that.

Now if only I had a set up like that...... :> I imagine you could do a lot of ML steps and farming by yourself. It is a bit sad though :)

Oli - Illu

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Uber proggy, I hope I can get it working.

Thanks for sharing. :)

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
Twinky said:

he prolly use a screen reader prog and alot of macroing.... tried a certain prog to make a macro's. could just pm bb to get buffs instead of doing it myself etc. (yeah im lazy)

there are many ways to do it tbh... I prefer to play both coms at once for the challenge :p

1 thing is certain wouldnt be in recieving end of Team Wizzy :p

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone who got this working who can post screens of the BB and main PC settings?

Im apprently to drunk to get it working. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom