STEAM Witcher 3

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
There's soooooooo much travelling and with the game-world being extremely huge, you must have a lot of time on your hands :D Good for youu!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I actually prefer walking but was trying the horse out.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I seem to find myself walking everywhere too. It's more relaxing, easier to take in the visuals and ofc herb picking :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
There's soooooooo much travelling and with the game-world being extremely huge, you must have a lot of time on your hands :D Good for youu!
wow Fett, you must have the attention span of a thing with a very short attention span ;-) complaining about quests being too long too, pff! that said, I agree that the massive amount of talking you need to do at the beginning of act II is a bit wearing.
I actually prefer walking but was trying the horse out.
what I dislike about the horse is what I kind of dislike about all things Witcher: there seems to be a bit of lag between keyboard commands and the actor doing what you want. I have that especially with the horse when I want it to jump, and I have it when I want Geralt to do a power-attack. Very annoying.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
wow Fett, you must have the attention span of a thing with a very short attention span ;-) complaining about quests being too long too, pff! that said, I agree that the massive amount of talking you need to do at the beginning of act II is a bit wearing.

Not usually, am very invested in the main plot, but after 100+ quests or so, and everything being a pushover (even on next-to-hardest difficulty), yeah, I'm complaining. Running pointless fetch-quests for pointless characters. Bah.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
But they get exp and loot!

I am still really early on but enjoying the quests and whatnot so far.

Its annoying the notices stay in the inventory and I really don't know why they have brought an annoyance from previous games into the 3rd one.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I keep drifting into Skyrim mode when fighting and it takes me a few seconds to realise you cant just mash everythings face in without bothered about blocking and dodging.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, the combat is sublime once you get used to it.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
That it is. Though, i wish the potion-system would have been like Witcher 2. Meditating and putting potions in slots before the fight, preparing etc

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So - do I bother with my Phenom II X3 BE and my AMD7870?

After a bit of digging I reckon I'll be able to run it at Playstation 4+ levels of graphical fidelity and framerate (and a little higher) - but should I just sit on it until I eventually buy a better PC and it comes out for a fiver?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am mixed now, regarding W3 really.

The combat is great
The story is good (ish, in a cliched sort of way)
The graphics are good (Although not anywhere close to as a tricked out install of Skyrim) if you look closely the devs have cut a lot of corners, lots of 2d textures etc.

But, it just feels like I have seen it all before. I find I am bored after half an hour or so and only seem to be playing it because I dropped £50 on it.

Poag

m00?
Spent £18 getting it from GOG.

Played ~2 hours last night. Settings mostly ultra, no vsync. FPS capped at 60..never deviated.*

Only done the first "big" kill thus far, doing some side quests in the town before moving on. Enjoyed thus far. Never played W1 or W2 so its all fairly fresh for me. Combat good, story and VO excellent thus far.

But, found i can't help looking at the shapes of some of the heads of the non core characters and wonder "did he get his head stuck in a vice?"

*(i5-3570K @ 4Ghz, 970)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
@Raven that's because you've seen it before. It's basically WoW.. wait, now i know what it is. Hahah, it's Age of Conan but without the MMORPG components. The same quest-repetitiveness, open areas, finishers, and look overall.

Also calling @TdC on your double-standards on calling on my so called "short attentiveness" and now agreeing with Raven's post now he's "seen it before". You can do better m8

TdC

The same quest-repetitiveness, open areas, finishers, and look overall.
should get better as you grid the lvls. it IS a Witcher game after all :)

Also calling @TdC on your double-standards on calling on my so called "short attentiveness" and now agreeing with Raven's post now he's "seen it before". You can do better m8

Actually, I was agreeing with everything Raven said, except that bit Fett. Not messing with you, it's really true. I didn't play W2, so am stepping in to this one from playing the first one GOTY edition ages ago. I had high hopes, but the game has already lost me a bit on the main quest, and I'm only just out of the first area. Tbh my current thought is that it is Dragon Age without the party. What I would really have loved to see is immediate access to the entire world, like Skyrim delivered, or perhaps a skirmish mode where you have a mini-quest to hunt a specific monster. I am liking a lot of W3, but tbh I've already been to parts of the map where the game told me to turn back. Then it *made* me comply. I hate that. I guess right now I am not good Witcher gamer material :(

TdC

Anyone having stability issues with W3? I am gaming again, and lo and behold without me changing anything the game suddenly runs like a dog and crashed three times. There been some kind of patch? For want of something better to do I deleted local content and am redownloading :-/

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Ive had intermittent problems with it but im running win10 preview i find that each time it updates windows then the nvidia drivers and vcdist stuff need to be manually reinstalled or the game will suffer (steam normally takes care of the vcdist stuff but for some reason doesnt always do it right)

TdC

I found out what it could be: drivers getting dirty after several card swaps and automated updates. I used DDU to perform a severe clean uninstall and it found stuff from cards all the way back to my 570 0_o

Just to be 100% safe, I pulled and reseated both 970's and the SLI bridge. the god-box booted immediately, and everything worked instantly. W3 is so huge that I played some FC4 until I had to go to bed and it still wasn't reinstalled through Steam lol. I'll check in a moment though!

TdC

Whellp, other than my PC working just peachy since I did the driver thing, there's no real difference in performance. the settings I had the game on where it was running awesomely now perform much less well. I did note that my prev save games were from version 1.0.4 and the freshly installed game is 1.0.6. No idea if there is a performance thing that they did or not. I'm back on my native rez with hairworks off again :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you use the mouse for movement like in Witcher 1?

TdC

not that I am aware of. the game seems to use the timing of your action together with the placement of your player avatar with regard to the thing you're doing the action on to determine what you wanted to do. other than that, you have your standard light and strong attacks and two different dodge forms.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Urgh, I quite liked the controls in Witcher 1. Will have to just crack on with it then.

TdC

tbh the combat 1v1 is boring. I notice I deliberately attack groups of mobs and dance about them in order to spice things up ofc my Geralt build is a light armour / light attack ninja so this actually works well. for big or high-level single mobs it's usually the good old axii / dodge behind them / stab / dodge away combo. never fails...unless it gets late, I time things wrong and dodge *into* the punch of an Earth Elemental 10 levels above me and get one-shotted :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom