Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

Tilda

Is it just me who's excitedly waiting for this to unlock on steam?
Trailers look amazing!

Lethul

FH is my second home
Is it just me who's excitedly waiting for this to unlock on steam?
Trailers look amazing!

Loved the first one, when is it released? (bad at keeping track of games now that I have matured (or have started acting mature rather ;) ))

Tilda

Released today.
Very exciting.
Over 200,000 pre-orders :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Wish I had the cash for it. Loved the first one. With that Alice, Deus Ex3, LA Noire and DNF all coming out soon. Feel a bit left behind with the latest releases.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really want to play this looking at gameplay vids. But at £30? No chance. I'll wait for steam specials. Is the first one worth a punt?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
The first one made me really angry because of the crash bugs. They've probably fixed 'em all now, in which case yes, it is definitely worth playing.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Hasn't been a decent RPG for a while, so looking forward to this. Will give it a go when I (eventually) get home.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
been dling it for a while on steam now

seems you have to point yourself at a usa location because they havent propogated to the EU servers yet

Helme

Resident Freddy
I've finished the intro, it's good. It blows anything BioWare has done recently away, not only graphically but also in the way the story grabs you. My biggest fear for the game has also been eased, I was afraid that it would be dumbed down combat-wise but that's not the case. It's genuinely hard, I had to reload 6 times during the prologue because I died while playing on just normal difficulty and I like to think that I'm above average when it comes to computer games.

Also, a friendly advice for anyone starting their playthrough - pressing spacebar is the same as clicking "take all" on loot. It's not mentioned anywhere that I can see, but it makes looting the various crafting items a lot faster.

supersaint

Can't get enough of FH
Only another 10GB to go<SIGH>

Anyone tried playing with controller?

Tilda

Chet, its 24 or 26 quid on GoG or some other site. Sod steam.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Word to the wise - don't buy it on Steam you loons. Get it on GOG.com - it's cheaper, DRM free and you get all the gubbins with it. Plus more money to the developers as CD Projekt actually own GoG.com.

Chet, The Witcher 1 is very good indeed, I just finished my first playthrough of it yesterday - clocked up 52 hours in a little over a week! I bought it on a Steam sale aaaaaages ago for dirt cheap, but I recommend you get it from gog too: Witcher: Enhanced Edition, The - GOG.com only about 3 quid, DRM free as all their stuff is.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
After reading how buggy the original was I went with steam, few quid more for auto patching

No preload on steam though :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
After reading how buggy the original was I went with steam, few quid more for auto patching

No preload on steam though :(
They did, however, get it sorted very well with the Enhanced Edition. I'd be surprised if the sequel was anywhere near as buggy on release.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I've only encountered 1 bug, and it was because of a conflict between Catalyst Control Panel and the game settings - checking the box for application controlled solved it.

I might have encountered another, but not sure and it isn't that major. A lot of NPC's seems to be without pants, remembering the dev diary's apparently every NPC randomly selects their outfit from a huge amount of clothes, but for some reason they all pick going around in their underwear.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
No invert mouse option in game? Really?

How come I'm still having to edit ini files in 2011

EDIT and the ini file edit doesnt seem to be working for the steam version t.t

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
just started playing
it looks very nice
however the keybinding is a joke, cant use about 10 keys that are "reserved" . very annoying

but as rulke said, you can edit the ini file, but i dont expect to do that nowadays :(

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
For other people who use inverted mouse, the second one worked for me:

Add Invert=1 to the [MouseInput] section. Pay attention to the capital 'I' in Invert.

[MouseInput]
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=1
Invert=1

If this doesn't work try this one:

Go to the INI file and find the following part and change the values to these:

[MouseInput]
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
MouseDampX=7000
MouseDampY=7000
MouseSensitivityX=0.307692
MouseSensitivityY=-0.192308
MouseSmoothness=1
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=1
UseMouseDamp=false

Also, the game looks 10 times better if you turn off motion blur imo

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I love this game. :) Played it all night yesterday, and going to play all night tonight. :clap:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Always turn off motion blur and such devices .. i dont want it to look real ( if that is real) i want it nice and crisp

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Doesnt it seem a bit oversimplified. I mean with the skill-tree, magics and such? Thats what i felt when playing it for a while.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I think it's perfectly fine. Having 100 skills that all amount to statistical increases really doesn't improve gameplay in any way. And complexion for complexions sake is pretty stupid, especially when the game is fairly challenging - even on normal.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I think it's perfectly fine. Having 100 skills that all amount to statistical increases really doesn't improve gameplay in any way. And complexion for complexions sake is pretty stupid, especially when the game is fairly challenging - even on normal.

Having complexion for gameplay sake i was thinking. Instead of having to jump around like an idiot dodging attacks 24/7 they could have you spec in dodge or w/e. You are bouncing around like a nutjob all day long, feels really annoying.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I'm enjoying the game overall but tbh the myriad little flaws are starting to mount up to frustrate me more and more often.

- The minimap. Your arrow turns, the map turns as well and there's no North indicator. Useless. Oh, and it only shows about 5ft around you.
- The game might boast of over 80 hours of gameplay, but half of that is stuff I wouldn't exactly call Gameplay... Running around, opening doors (seriously, fuck the doors in this game) using that retarded meditation system to craft/drink potions, replaying areas because the autosave sucks and you forgot to manually save for a while...
- Potions themselves: You can't drink them in combat but most of the time when you actually want to drink them (bosses etc) you cant because you're steamrolled into them by conversations or invisible triggers in the world. If you do happen to use them beforehand they will have expired while you talked.
- Too many arbitrary deaths/forced reloads. I'm talking about bits like the stealth sections where for me it was basically trial and error. Or the dialogue options that result in your instant death.
- Give me a vault or let me carry more stuff ffs "You found a new crafting diagram! Oh, it needs all the stuff you dropped/sold 5 minutes ago" ;(
- Combat is pretty basic, nowhere near as bad as the first game but "cast Quen, spam click" isn't my idea of complexity
- QTEs. (even with simple QTEs enabled in the options. Fuck this)
- The journal and quest tracking is pretty poor
- The story is about as interesting as Star Wars episode 1, in fact a trade embargo might liven things up a little

Tbh these are all minor annoyances and like I said, I'm quite enjoying the game overall. It's just that a lot of the time the game forgets it's supposed to be a game and uses needless tedium in the guise of being a hardcore Action/RPG.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I'm enjoying the game overall but tbh the myriad little flaws are starting to mount up to frustrate me more and more often.

- The minimap. Your arrow turns, the map turns as well and there's no North indicator. Useless. Oh, and it only shows about 5ft around you.
- The game might boast of over 80 hours of gameplay, but half of that is stuff I wouldn't exactly call Gameplay... Running around, opening doors (seriously, fuck the doors in this game) using that retarded meditation system to craft/drink potions, replaying areas because the autosave sucks and you forgot to manually save for a while...
- Potions themselves: You can't drink them in combat but most of the time when you actually want to drink them (bosses etc) you cant because you're steamrolled into them by conversations or invisible triggers in the world. If you do happen to use them beforehand they will have expired while you talked.
- Too many arbitrary deaths/forced reloads. I'm talking about bits like the stealth sections where for me it was basically trial and error. Or the dialogue options that result in your instant death.
- Give me a vault or let me carry more stuff ffs "You found a new crafting diagram! Oh, it needs all the stuff you dropped/sold 5 minutes ago" ;(
- Combat is pretty basic, nowhere near as bad as the first game but "cast Quen, spam click" isn't my idea of complexity
- QTEs. (even with simple QTEs enabled in the options. Fuck this)
- The journal and quest tracking is pretty poor
- The story is about as interesting as Star Wars episode 1, in fact a trade embargo might liven things up a little

Tbh these are all minor annoyances and like I said, I'm quite enjoying the game overall. It's just that a lot of the time the game forgets it's supposed to be a game and uses needless tedium in the guise of being a hardcore Action/RPG.

whiner! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom