[WITCH HUNTER] Witch Hunter Impressions

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
So, I played the WH through OB, currently lvl 15 and spent the last 2 days doing open RvR/keep battles (although at 15 dont think we really threatened the keep).

PvE

WH is good for this. They have high damage and can burn through mobs fast making them an excellent PvE class. They also gain Incognito at 10 which makes getting items/scouting areas safer and faster. A good PvE class.

PvP

Scenarios -

WH in scenarios is kinda limited. If you dont have incognito most people see you coming and know your soft and take you out asap. Tanks love you cos you go down fast and have to melee, ranged just looks for you to drop you asap.

It is possible to get nice kills through clever positioning and once you get in close most squishies dont have much of a chance if you can get your executions off and keep in range.

Incognito makes it even more fun as you can choose your engage point plus load some accusations as you start the fight outta stealth. Have had a few fun fights where I've ripped into the backline and gotten away but even more when I've misjudged it and died.

Open RvR

Kinda a mixed bag here.

Open field fighting is great fun. On your own its not easy and you have to be very careful, you cant just watlz in and attack, thats just a quick res trip but if you sit on the edges waiting you can pick off sorcs that stayed for one more cast and stuff as the zerg retreats/advances. Its also fun to hit the respawns as they tend to be off guard until they reach the fight.

Keeps is a bit different. In attack you can sneak intot he keep and past the keep lord, great for picking off ppl manning the guns or for just causing mayhem in the keep, however your part in taking the keep is DPS but only if you have the tanks to do it (and the healers).
In defence you can have a brilliant time. I like to sneak out the postern door, run down incognito to the seige weapons, trap them and pick off ppl trying to use the weapons as well as any ranged dps. On your own its hard to survive but if there is 2-3 WH then suddenly it becomes very nasty and ppl go down fast. I'm not sayin stealth packs like DAoC but it is nice when 2 of you are incognito, one attacks and the other drops on anyone coming in to support...

Overall

Fun class. Its NOT a WoW rogue, dont think it ever will be, which is good. Its a tricky class to play because most melee has more hp/armour than you, most ranged can root and run so you need to be patient and time things right. It is very satisfying though stalking a player thorugh the trees, or working up through the keep to take out the boiling oil or the seige gunner...

You also look awesome once you get the hat and cloak :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I've had a ton of fun playing WH in the beta so far, really tore people up ( even tanks - dont try beating them down, use dot attacks because they stack and the dot execution ability ).

Vs incompetant groups and good detaunt timing I've taken down groups of players in scenarios albeit at tier 1 I don't expect that kind of poor play to exist for too long.

I think the timing on Incognito is both a blessing and a curse.
In so far as we cant just stealth and afk but I do think the recast timer should be lower ~10s-15 or so that way it forces us to be sneaky bastards if we want to get up close and personal.

Dont forget we have snares, -healing% and silence abilities - putting us on cloth ( healers especially ) in group vs group is probably going to be a WHs main role, along with some tab+snapshotcc.

I think it's more polished than wows' rogue in a lot of ways.
We have the equivalent of riposte in our confess ability from a very early level, as well as snapshot from level 1 vs the deadly throw of a rogue - it feels like our ranged weapon is an important part of our arsenal as opposed to an added afterthought and "fk how do we stop mages raping rogues quite so much?" move.

Stalkz

Fledgling Freddie
i love Witch Hunter :) im torn between one of those or the Bright Wiz for release.

Currently playing Renard, Bright Wizzy

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I've had a ton of fun playing WH in the beta so far, really tore people up ( even tanks - dont try beating them down, use dot attacks because they stack and the dot execution ability ).

Good ability vs tanks is the positional style that bypasses their armour, you can rip melee DPS to bits in seconds with that :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Good ability vs tanks is the positional style that bypasses their armour, you can rip melee DPS to bits in seconds with that :)

Yes thats nice when you can use it, but a lot of the time our playstyle is picking off stragglers and guys running back to the zerg, in 1v1 its hard to get someones back if they are not dumb :) In a zerg you really dont want to be attacking a tank near the other melees as you'll get squished quicker than sharma at a parmo shop.

Jericho

Fledgling Freddie
I'm liking my witch hunter. One of the less comical characters in the game (not overly fond of the 'humour' they have given the game).

Don't like the animation for a couple of the pistol executions

Jericho

Fledgling Freddie
Alas, I am not allowed to edit my post after 10 minutes. So...

edit-> What the heck happened to the rest of my post?

Anyway, I'm enjoying my witch hunter, but he does get bludgeoned by other players (although they do get a surprise when I unleash my 5 accusations execution or sever a nerve (or whatever it is called) ).

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Yes thats nice when you can use it, but a lot of the time our playstyle is picking off stragglers and guys running back to the zerg, in 1v1 its hard to get someones back if they are not dumb :) In a zerg you really dont want to be attacking a tank near the other melees as you'll get squished quicker than sharma at a parmo shop.

You can buy an ability to ignore position now though - makes a huge difference since that style is definitly nice dps.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm. whenever im in pvp battle, i do sucky damage. and i die easly, did i missunderstand the concept of "melee dps"? :<

pez

Can't get enough of FH
lvl 10/11 WH in tier 1 its really, really powerful if played right.

You roll up behind the zerg, kill a healer or two and run away before they catch you. I basically levelled in the Scenario by leaving all groups and going for solo kills. My final scenario before I dinged i did over 20k damage and made 16k xp.

Really loving it atm, although in the tier 2 scenario its harder to get those solo kills.

Admittedly this is tier one and most of the Destro players were below 10 but still, its more pointing out how fast you can solo xp in the scenarios.

Attachments

• Sach^M_000.jpg
    Sach^M_000.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 67

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
How can Order ever win? :p

Whenever i try we get zerged over all too good. we stand no chance ;(

(woot - allmost lvl 9, cant wait for Incognito!)

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
got lvl 10 and my incognito buff, and another level 10 ability that you can use whilst in incognito mode... (cant recall the name of the ability - at work at the mo!) - problem is it doesnt work. I got stealth(incognito thingy), and all abilities dissapear - i assume thats to show only the abilities you can use whilst in this mode, but the one you should be able to use dissapears aswell.

Its the ability that raises 2 accusation points, and i think it damages players that move for 15 seconds... or somet simular :) Anyone else get this??? Or am i getting it all wrong ? :)

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
I dunno if your not spamming CD styles................

Btw nvr played 1 just trolling :p

pez

Can't get enough of FH
got lvl 10 and my incognito buff, and another level 10 ability that you can use whilst in incognito mode... (cant recall the name of the ability - at work at the mo!) - problem is it doesnt work. I got stealth(incognito thingy), and all abilities dissapear - i assume thats to show only the abilities you can use whilst in this mode, but the one you should be able to use dissapears aswell.

Its the ability that raises 2 accusation points, and i think it damages players that move for 15 seconds... or somet simular :) Anyone else get this??? Or am i getting it all wrong ? :)

Its just a new quickbar which pops up when you are stealthed. You can put and use any abilities on there.

rynnor

Rockhound
You roll up behind the zerg, kill a healer or two and run away before they catch you. I basically levelled in the Scenario by leaving all groups and going for solo kills. My final scenario before I dinged i did over 20k damage and made 16k xp.

Aye lol - I absolutely hate the witchhunters on my zealot - I have found no effective strategy for fighting them - guess I'll just leggit in future - good class :)

pez

Can't get enough of FH
You can't run from a Witch Hunter :)

Tanks though just shut the WH down so stick near a chosen or BO and WHs will probably leave you alone.

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
ok.. the ability is called "Burn Armour" - its greyed out on my quickbar, fair enough as its only to be used with incognito... But when i use the incognito stance, the "Burn Armour" ability dissapears from my quick bar along with all my other abilities... Got me baffled

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Its just a new quickbar which pops up when you are stealthed. You can put and use any abilities on there.

When you press Incognito a brand new bar appears. Think of this as your 'stealth bar.' Put on to this quickbar all abilities you might want to use FROM stealth. As soon as you use one of these abilities you will revert to your normal quickbar instantly.

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
When you press Incognito a brand new bar appears. Think of this as your 'stealth bar.' Put on to this quickbar all abilities you might want to use FROM stealth. As soon as you use one of these abilities you will revert to your normal quickbar instantly.

yup -= just got hang of it :) - had 4 bars out to start with and wasnt aware had to put any stealth icons on a seperate qbar - all is now good and right again! heretics can go back to burning etc... cay is happy.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Got my incognito and burning armor. however. something is missing. does anyone know where i can get my hat and cloak? im not a true van hellsing without em :D

(oh and that crossover thing where im supose to stick my sticks and sutch. seen a few have it but havnt seen it beeing purchaseable)

Rayko

One of Freddy's beloved
nearly lvl19 with my WH now... I love the class really, really satisfied with it, I also feel its pretty much balanced

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
seem to be having a few problems with incognito, does it not work on pve mobs coz they always see me. Works ok in pvp though. And what abilities can you use with incognito coz I can only get burn armour to work.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah Incognito does not work in PvE. Don't know if this is deliberate or a bug. Also It seems to not work against marauders but that just might be me :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
Lvl 24 atm and loving WH more with every lvl, get my heal debuff from mastery nxt lvl and then the healers will pay...

Hat and cloak is indeed essential to the WH look, startin to get some funky piece sof armour as well. Ive also been dual wielding for the last few lvls which is a nice change (check out dwarf chap 10 PQ rewards).

Using incognito in PVE is possible but its all about positioning. If you approach from behind slowly you can use it, run in front of em and they will see you. This also applies to PvP, your spotted much easier in front of ppl (not always) so use PvE as practice for getting in behind ppl fast.

T3 has popped for Karrak Hirn at last over the weekend, we took 4 keeps (destro took em back) and ran a few scenarios.

Tanks hurt a lot now, unless I get a confess on them I'm gonna die, they hit like trucks :S. WE is also a pain in the neck, they do some awesome dmg. Love sorcs, love zealots if I'm left alone, same for shammies but DoKs are hard for me, maybe easier after heal debuff.

Does anyone know, do DoKs cast to heal? will a silence work or do they ehal by doin dmg, hence they need a parry?

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
thinking of rerolling at the moment. Witch hunters are shit at RVR, tanks batter us to death, casters and their million mile range dots nuke us before we get near them. No survivability = no chance.

Things that piss me off the most is incognito being totally useless because of its short duration and not actually working half the time and confess not having anything big, bright and obvious to tell you when it's available.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
thinking of rerolling at the moment. Witch hunters are shit at RVR, tanks batter us to death, casters and their million mile range dots nuke us before we get near them. No survivability = no chance.

Things that piss me off the most is incognito being totally useless because of its short duration and not actually working half the time and confess not having anything big, bright and obvious to tell you when it's available.

If you're around lvl 15/16 playing a WH is the worst thing in the game. Then you get silence/Root break/The ability that makes the take damage if they try and run and suddenly playing a WH is fun again!

Stick it out to 18/20 and then see. As a tip, if you want to lvl fast through scenarios, leave your scenario group and get round the back of the zerg for solo kills. 1 solo kill, even though you almost certainly die afterwards, is worth about 10 kills in a group and you can do it in half the time. Once you hit 18 you're pretty much garunteed to come top whether your side wins or loses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom